Wikiposts

Spousal Visa - one question

Old Feb 3rd 2014, 4:28 am
Just Joined

charliebird is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Spousal Visa - one question

Once the spousal visa is issued, how long do you have before you must use it to enter the UK?

We will apply once we have an offer on our house and any contingencies complete. We meet the requirements so it should be pretty straight forward. Once it is issued though, how long do I have before we have to travel to the UK for our intended move?

Hope I make sense. This was the only think I was unable to find.

Best,
Christine
Old Feb 3rd 2014, 4:45 am
Forum Regular

ncoomber is just really nicencoomber is just really nicencoomber is just really nicencoomber is just really nicencoomber is just really nicencoomber is just really nicencoomber is just really nicencoomber is just really nicencoomber is just really nicencoomber is just really nicencoomber is just really nice
Default Re: Spousal Visa - one question

Hi Christine,
I had asked a similar question a few weeks back. I was told that the spouse visa is valid from the date of application. The visa is valid for 30 months. They allow you 3 months to move so add that to the 30 months giving you 33 months of validity. You can move anytime. But if you move after the 3 months extra then the visa will expire before you can apply for the next stage. You have to be residing in the UK for 30 months before you can apply for the next stage. That is how I understand the rules - I might have it wrong. If you look through my threads you will find the one where I asked.

I am still not sure when day one is. Is it when you apply on line or when you send in the supporting docs?

I have a house to sell too but don't want to sell it before I get the visa. Otherwise my wife and three kids might be living in a tent! They sure don't make this easy, I would have liked all the paper work done before having to sell, pack and ship.

It also says on their site that it can take three months to get the visa. No one has answered that question yet!
Cheers
Nigel
Old Feb 3rd 2014, 5:02 am
Just Joined

charliebird is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Spousal Visa - one question

Originally Posted by ncoomber
Hi Christine,
I had asked a similar question a few weeks back. I was told that the spouse visa is valid from the date of application. The visa is valid for 30 months. They allow you 3 months to move so add that to the 30 months giving you 33 months of validity. You can move anytime. But if you move after the 3 months extra then the visa will expire before you can apply for the next stage. You have to be residing in the UK for 30 months before you can apply for the next stage. That is how I understand the rules - I might have it wrong. If you look through my threads you will find the one where I asked.

I am still not sure when day one is. Is it when you apply on line or when you send in the supporting docs?

I have a house to sell too but don't want to sell it before I get the visa. Otherwise my wife and three kids might be living in a tent! They sure don't make this easy, I would have liked all the paper work done before having to sell, pack and ship.

It also says on their site that it can take three months to get the visa. No one has answered that question yet!
Cheers
Nigel
Thanks Nigel! We are getting ready to list the house in the USA in spring. However, market is slow where we are, so didn't want to apply for the visa before the house is sold. Just wondered if we went that route, with a 30 to 60 day close if the port of entry date had to be with in 30 days, 60 days or 90 days of the issuance date... or do you have to provide a firm travel date. Sounds like it is pretty open once issued based on your reply. Otherwise everything seems pretty straight forward.

Best,
Christine