Spousal Visa--Income or Savings?

Old Aug 8th 2017, 5:27 pm
Forum Regular

VeryVeritas is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Spousal Visa--Income or Savings?

We are going to begin work on a spousal visa. As I understand it, the income requirement for retirees is different in that they will look at the couple's collective/joint income versus the sponsor having to meet the minimum requirement independent of the spouse. If this is the case, we definitely meet/exceed the minimum on the basis of the spousal pension alone, but not the sponsor. We also can meet the minimum requirement for savings.

I am trying to decide, assuming I am correct in this, which route to take both from the perspective of making the strongest case for the visa and also from the perspective of path of least resistance. If one takes the savings route must this be re-verified annually until permanent settlement status is achieved? I assume this has to be in liquid cash savings which makes it a depreciating asset to some degree given low interest rates and inflation...

I also wonder how much information to disclose. Do the authorities only want proof of meeting thresholds or does it help to provide a bigger financial picture that shows we meet needs on both levels? Or is there even a way to do that, meaning is it purely a binary, either-or process?

Hope I am making sense here.
Old Aug 8th 2017, 6:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

HKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Spousal Visa--Income or Savings?

Originally Posted by VeryVeritas
We are going to begin work on a spousal visa. As I understand it, the income requirement for retirees is different in that they will look at the couple's collective/joint income versus the sponsor having to meet the minimum requirement independent of the spouse. If this is the case, we definitely meet/exceed the minimum on the basis of the spousal pension alone, but not the sponsor. We also can meet the minimum requirement for savings.

I am trying to decide, assuming I am correct in this, which route to take both from the perspective of making the strongest case for the visa and also from the perspective of path of least resistance. If one takes the savings route must this be re-verified annually until permanent settlement status is achieved? I assume this has to be in liquid cash savings which makes it a depreciating asset to some degree given low interest rates and inflation...

I also wonder how much information to disclose. Do the authorities only want proof of meeting thresholds or does it help to provide a bigger financial picture that shows we meet needs on both levels? Or is there even a way to do that, meaning is it purely a binary, either-or process?

As long as you meet the financial requirement, you will be fine.

If you can show cash savings worth £62,500 for six months, use the cash savings to meet the financial requirement.
Old Aug 8th 2017, 6:17 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by VeryVeritas

Savings route is less complex in terms of number of documents required as evidence.

No one manner of meeting the financial requirements is advantageous to your chances - as long as you meet all the requirements (financial, accommodation, relationship, character) and provide satisfactory evidence to demonstrate that, the visa will be granted.

Everyone has to meet the same financial and other requirements again at 2.5 years, in order to be granted a further leave to remain visa.

No matter if you used savings or income for your initial leave to enter visa, you can use either for your further leave to remain visa at 2.5 years.

No need to provide additional financial details, just provide the evidence for the amount required.

Last edited by spouse of scouse; Aug 8th 2017 at 6:20 pm.
Old Aug 8th 2017, 7:52 pm
Forum Regular

VeryVeritas is an unknown quantity at this point

Thank you. Will go that route.
Old Aug 9th 2017, 8:14 am
BE Forum Addict

michali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond repute

I would definitely go for the savings route. All you need are six original monthly bank statements showing the money has been there for six months prior to application, in an account to which you have instant access to withdraw, unless from the sale of a house which you have owned for at least six months. You then state the source of the savings.