Spousal visa, change passport, have BRP

Old Oct 28th 2023, 12:48 pm
Forum Regular

ToCumbria has a reputation beyond reputeToCumbria has a reputation beyond reputeToCumbria has a reputation beyond reputeToCumbria has a reputation beyond reputeToCumbria has a reputation beyond reputeToCumbria has a reputation beyond reputeToCumbria has a reputation beyond reputeToCumbria has a reputation beyond reputeToCumbria has a reputation beyond reputeToCumbria has a reputation beyond reputeToCumbria has a reputation beyond repute
Default Spousal visa, change passport, have BRP

I have the initial spousal visa to enter the UK and have been living in the UK for over two years. Will be applying to extend it later this year.

I am presently overseas in my home country for a holiday and have renewed my [foreign] passport which was shortly expiring. The initial spousal visa is, of course, in my old passport. Do I have to arrange for the visa to be transferred to my new passport, or can I simply enter the UK on my new passport and show Border Force my BRP?

Many thanks
Old Oct 29th 2023, 7:22 pm
Forum Regular

Skiboy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Spousal visa, change passport, have BRP

As a Spouse of UK Citizen (currently living outside the UK but moving back in the next six months) I travel with three passports to show previous visas. I was told they wouldn't transfer visas from one to the other, but they WILL stamp them as : VIPP (Visa in Previous Passport)
Old Oct 30th 2023, 11:46 am
Forum Regular

ToCumbria has a reputation beyond reputeToCumbria has a reputation beyond reputeToCumbria has a reputation beyond reputeToCumbria has a reputation beyond reputeToCumbria has a reputation beyond reputeToCumbria has a reputation beyond reputeToCumbria has a reputation beyond reputeToCumbria has a reputation beyond reputeToCumbria has a reputation beyond reputeToCumbria has a reputation beyond reputeToCumbria has a reputation beyond repute

Many thanks, Skiboy. That's a relief.
Old Oct 30th 2023, 9:14 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ToCumbria
I have the initial spousal visa to enter the UK and have been living in the UK for over two years. Will be applying to extend it later this year.

I am presently overseas in my home country for a holiday and have renewed my [foreign] passport which was shortly expiring. The initial spousal visa is, of course, in my old passport. Do I have to arrange for the visa to be transferred to my new passport, or can I simply enter the UK on my new passport and show Border Force my BRP?

Many thanks
Your entry clearance vignette will have long expired. Your BRP is now your only UK visa. Providing it hasn’t expired and your name in your new passport remains the same you shouldn’t have an issue.
Old Oct 31st 2023, 5:19 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks, BritInParis.
Old Dec 12th 2023, 6:18 am
Just Joined

yuugen is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by BritInParis
Your entry clearance vignette will have long expired. Your BRP is now your only UK visa. Providing it hasn’t expired and your name in your new passport remains the same you shouldn’t have an issue.
Just a quick follow up about the BRP. We have my wife's BRP and will be returning to the UK on 30 Jan 2024. This will be the first time we will enter the UK with the actual BRP but it is due to superseded by the elctronic BRP sometime soon. We haven't heard anything about the transition so we assume we will need to produce the physical BRP. My wife is Japanese and can use the e-gates at Heathrow airport to get through border control. but if she can use the e-gates who does she present the BRP to? Do we need to worry about it? It's all a little confusing particularly for Japanese passport holders.
Old Dec 12th 2023, 5:27 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by yuugen
Just a quick follow up about the BRP. We have my wife's BRP and will be returning to the UK on 30 Jan 2024. This will be the first time we will enter the UK with the actual BRP but it is due to superseded by the elctronic BRP sometime soon. We haven't heard anything about the transition so we assume we will need to produce the physical BRP. My wife is Japanese and can use the e-gates at Heathrow airport to get through border control. but if she can use the e-gates who does she present the BRP to? Do we need to worry about it? It's all a little confusing particularly for Japanese passport holders.
Your wife should just use the eGates as normal. There’s no requirement to present her BRP.
Old Dec 13th 2023, 2:43 am
Just Joined

yuugen is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by BritInParis
Your wife should just use the eGates as normal. There’s no requirement to present her BRP.
Thanks very much and like everyone else we will have to wait to see how they roll out the e-visa scheme. Once again, thanks for your reply.