Sponsoring a US partner to come to UK

Old Dec 12th 2018, 9:35 am
Just Joined

LC_79 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Sponsoring a US partner to come to UK

Hello
I’m a new member, apologies if I’m not posting in the correct place...
Im trying to get some information regarding the amount I need to earn in order to sponsor my American partner to come to the UK. I’m aware the current minimum is £18,600 but I can’t find any information as to whether this amount changes if you have children (I do) who are British and reside with me. Can anyone help with this?
Thanks
Old Dec 12th 2018, 10:13 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Sponsoring a US partner to come to UK

Originally Posted by LC_79
Hello
Im trying to get some information regarding the amount I need to earn in order to sponsor my American partner to come to the UK. I’m aware the current minimum is £18,600 but I can’t find any information as to whether this amount changes if you have children (I do) who are British and reside with me. Can anyone help with this?
Thanks
Hi, welcome to BE.

You've posted in the section for questions about visas for the US, but no worries at all - I'll move it the UK visas section for you.

Can you clarify, are you married?

Best of luck.
Old Dec 12th 2018, 11:21 am
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Hello
Thanks
It will still be £18,600. your children are British Citizens who do not need visas, in fact can;t get them. So the only person you are sponsoring is you partner.
Old Dec 12th 2018, 11:24 am
Just Joined

Thanks for redirecting! I couldn’t see the UK page!
No, we’re not married as yet. We’re just starting the process of figuring out which way round to do things (fiancé or spousal visa, us to the US or him to the UK) one of the first things I’m trying to establish is this financial requirements bit

Last edited by LC_79; Dec 12th 2018 at 11:27 am.
Old Dec 12th 2018, 11:26 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by mikelincs
It will still be £18,600. your children are British Citizens who do not need visas, in fact can;t get them. So the only person you are sponsoring is you partner.
Thank you
Old Dec 12th 2018, 3:57 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for redirecting! I couldn’t see the UK page!
No, we’re not married as yet. We’re just starting the process of figuring out which way round to do things (fiancé or spousal visa, us to the US or him to the UK) one of the first things I’m trying to establish is this financial requirements bit
Read the following document carefully to see how to qualify. You have to apply under one of the categories detailed:

https://assets.publishing.service.go...ment_Final.pdf

Also, it appears the applicant is in the US and you in the UK . If you have not lived together then sounds as though getting married prior to applying for the visa is necessary.

Last edited by SanDiegogirl; Dec 12th 2018 at 3:59 pm.
Old Dec 13th 2018, 2:24 am

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

Just make sure your children all have valid British passports when you intend to move to the UK.
Old Dec 13th 2018, 6:16 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by BritInParis
Just make sure your children all have valid British passports when you intend to move to the UK.
We all have British passports, and are already based in the Uk
Old Dec 13th 2018, 6:26 am
Just Joined

@SandiegoGirl, I can’t reply directly because the threads includes a URL, sorry...newbie :/

Thanks for this All advice is very welcome, we’re trying to ensue we do everything absolutely correctly!
I was unsure as to whether the fact that I have children (whom I support financially) would mean the minimum income amount would be higher, as I assumed it’s based on whether you have a high enough income to support the whole household and not just the person you’re sponsoring, if that makes sense?! The minimum income requirements for the three of us (myself and two children) to move to the US instead are way higher, hence our looking into doing it this way round. Thanks again

Last edited by LC_79; Dec 13th 2018 at 6:28 am.