Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > Citizenship/Passports and Spouse/Family Visas (UK)
Reload this Page >

Sponsoring my Argentine partner's Family Visa application

Sponsoring my Argentine partner's Family Visa application

Old Jan 23rd 2019, 7:00 pm
Just Joined

CoffeeAndRichTea is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Sponsoring my Argentine partner's Family Visa application

Hi there,

My girlfriend and I have decided we want a life together here in the UK. I am a British citizen, and she is an Argentine citizen. We met online and have been in love for 8 years. We finally met for the first time last year; I travelled to Argentina for 6 weeks. A few months later, she came here to visit for 6 months (currently on her sixth month here).

We have been researching the best way to settle here (lots to get our heads around!) It seems the best way is a Family visa, as she is my unmarried partner. We are beginning to gather things ready for an application, but have some questions.

- We haven't lived together physically for 2 years, but we have known each other for 8, and can gather the evidence to prove it. Her name is not on the flat tenancy agreement/bills/bank account ownership but we are starting the process of this now. Will this be enough to show we have been living together?

- After her 6 month visit my girlfriend will visit here again, but how long do we need to wait before she re-enters the UK? We can't seem to find a definite answer for this.

- I have been on a 6 month contract at work, earning over £20k, which comes to an end next month. It looks as if my position will be changing within the company, starting a new 6 month contract. Will this affect the proof of income?

​​​​​May have some other questions at a later date. If anyone has any other general advice/tips that they can offer on this application process then that'd be much appreciated 😊

Many thanks

​​​

Old Jan 23rd 2019, 8:04 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Sponsoring my Argentine partner's Family Visa application

No, you cannot apply for an unmarried partner's visa as you have not been co-habiting for a minimum of 2 years in a relationhip akin to marriage (with joint responsibilities)

Living together while on visitor status is not relevant.

You will have to marry and then apply for a spouse visa.

You cannot a marry in the UK while girlfriend is a visitor.

You have the options of marrying in Argentina (or any third country) and then applying for a spouse visa for then wife (she cannot apply for a spouse visa from within UK) OR she return to Argentina, applies for fiance visa, enters UK, gets married and then applies for spouse visa.

You have to be in employment and earning 18,600 GBP at time of application.

If she has already been in UK for 6 months she should not attempt another visit until she has been out of UK for at least 6 months - even then she might be refused entry since she could be seen as trying to live in UK on visitor status.