British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Citizenship/Passports and Spouse/Family Visas (UK) (https://britishexpats.com/forum/citizenship-passports-spouse-family-visas-uk-196/)
-   -   Soupse visa for fiance (https://britishexpats.com/forum/citizenship-passports-spouse-family-visas-uk-196/soupse-visa-fiance-930407/)

Surviving Jan 15th 2020 9:27 pm

Soupse visa for fiance

Dear friends,I am a law abiding British citizen who got married couple of years ago in Bangladesh which was a arranged marriage. Currently estranged my wife and have been for over one year. My wife lives in Bangladesh and comes from a family with far reaching political connections. We were not compatible which became evident shortly after marriage. She had used a visitors visa to come into the Uk and stay here after marriage for five months. The marriage took place in Bangladesh. After arrival it was clear that the immigration rules would not allow a spousal extension on a visitors visa so she had to return to Bangladesh. So, we both returned and the relationship broke down so I left and came back to the UK. I wanted to divorce her. However, I couldn’t divorce her due to the shame it will bring to the family and her family connections would mean that my family who remain in Bangladesh could be hurt. I have met someone else few months ago whom you wish to marry. She also lives abroad. I want to know how i can move forward in this new relationship and bring my new partner to the UK.

I will be really grateful if someone can advice me to get out of this odd situation.

Pulaski Jan 15th 2020 9:33 pm

Re: Soupse visa for fiance

You CANNOT sponsor a partner of any sort for a visa to live and work the UK while you are still married to someone else. END OF STORY.

You can divorce an estranged spouse in the UK if you are resident in the UK irrespective of where in the world your estranged spouse lives.

Surviving Jan 16th 2020 12:15 am

Originally Posted by Pulaski (Post 12790284)
You CANNOT sponsor a partner of any sort for a visa to live and work the UK while you are still married to someone else. END OF STORY.

You can divorce an estranged spouse in the UK if you are resident in the UK irrespective of where in the world your estranged spouse lives.

I mentioned I cannot as my family will be in trouble and even end up in jail for no reason. There is no law and order in a country like Bangladesh. You probably have no idea what can be done their. Politicians literally keep police in their pockets.

Pulaski Jan 16th 2020 12:18 am

Originally Posted by Surviving (Post 12790323)
I mentioned I cannot as my family will be in trouble and even end up in jail for no reason. There is no law and order in a country like Bangladesh. You probably have no idea what can be done their. Politicians literally keep police in their pockets.

OK, so you stay married and cannot sponsor your new partner for a visa in the UK, and cannot marry her even if she makes it to the UK with some other sort of visa.

Absent divorce, you will stay married until one of you dies.

That's how it is. End. Of. Story. :)

Surviving Jan 16th 2020 7:14 am

Absent divorce? Sorry, I didn't get it.

mikelincs Jan 16th 2020 7:21 am

Originally Posted by Surviving (Post 12790384)
Absent divorce? Sorry, I didn't get it.

He means without a divorce.

robin1234 Jan 17th 2020 9:36 am

Yeah this use of “absent” as a preposition is described in dictionaries as “American, and formal.” Probably initiated by lawyers, now (unfortunately) used by journalists and politicians as well. Probably best avoided in normal, non-technical speech. Does it really do anything that “without” wouldn’t do?

Surviving Jan 17th 2020 10:18 pm

I got the Absent lingo. Thanks everyone for your help and support... really appreciate it!!

BritInParis Jan 19th 2020 2:17 am

Both Bangladesh and Morocco permit polygamy but as you are domiciled in the UK any polygamous marriage you enter into will not being recognised under UK law. Divorce is the only option.

Surviving Jan 22nd 2020 5:05 am

Thanks for your advice. Much appreciate it!