Son’s American girlfriend pregnant!

Old Oct 12th 2018, 4:31 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Son’s American girlfriend pregnant!

https://www.gov.uk/dual-citizenship

Best to do a bit of research and not believe what people tell you !
Old Oct 12th 2018, 4:44 am
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by scot47
https://www.gov.uk/dual-citizenship

Best to do a bit of research and not believe what people tell you !
That's what Englishborn is doing now, Scott I think he owes his mum a bouquet of flowers for steering him in the direction of the most excellent advice he's receiving from British Expats
Old Oct 12th 2018, 7:26 am
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Englishborn
Hi there everyone just want to say a massive thank for commenting and informing us to the best of your ability.

I started off 2 and a half years ago as a fundraiser manager and had flights and accomodation paid for to work for a company here. I did a 1 year working holiday visa, I didn’t do my farm work and a company wanted me to work for them so paid for me to be on a student visa. Which I will be on until the 12 Dec. I am now the regional sales manager for a business to business marketing company on a basic wage the equivalent of £28000+ and I earn bonuses on top of that. This same company wants me to work in New Zealand after and set up an operation for them there. They would be paying for flights and visa. I certainly don’t have £65000 in savings but I do earn over that threshold but not in the U.K.

my girlfriend is American but her father is Scottish and grandparents are from there but it is difficult to get a visa as dad moved so young and there was no marriage involved.

I want to have my child in the uk so they can be a British citizen and had the same amazing experiences and values that I’ve had growing up. I won’t be staying for longer than 6 months to 1 year as I will be back on my next adventure doing what I do best.

Thanks again for all the help. If anyone can advise me further that would be greatly appreciated.
Hi, no one has mentioned the unborn baby's future.
Independently of whether your gf has British nationality or a Visa of some sort, how is she planning to look after her baby on her own in the UK, a foreign country to her, while you're "adventuring" elsewhere? Your mother sounds an absolute treasure but will she be in a position to give 100% support to her new-found dil and grandchild in your absence? Or has your gf got cousins that she could also count on?
Meanwhile, if she hasn't already got official confirmation of her pregnancy from her Doctor, she should be starting the procedure and getting a medical file together to present to wherever she gives birth.
IMO the baby's future welfare takes priority over all else....
Old Oct 12th 2018, 8:00 am
Just Joined

Englishborn is an unknown quantity at this point

My bad for not fully explaining. I will be there at the same time and we’ll have savings and will also be working in a sales role, so I will be there providing. After a while i will want to work somewhere warmer With more things for us to do.

Thanks again
Old Oct 12th 2018, 10:38 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse
His immigration status in Australia looks a bit odd to me. Student visa holders are required to provide evidence from an approved academic institution of their approved course of study for the duration of their stay, but it sounds like he's just working, not studying? Unless he's doing a post graduate Masters or PhD degree in Australia, his work hours on a student visa are limited to 40 hours per fortnight. And the company he works for doesn't sound as though it's complying with Australia's immigration requirements - opting out of sponsorship with all it entails and employing a foreign national 'on the side' is a serious breach.

I realise that he's only providing bits and pieces of information, so his immigration status may well be perfectly legitimate. I only mention the above because if he were to rely on his current employment in any future applications for his girlfriend to live in the UK, then all his employment (and possibly immigration status) evidence would have to be provided.
Hi there everyone just want to say a massive thank for commenting and informing us to the best of your ability.

I started off 2 and a half years ago as a fundraiser manager and had flights and accomodation paid for to work for a company here. I did a 1 year working holiday visa, I didn’t do my farm work and a company wanted me to work for them so paid for me to be on a student visa. Which I will be on until the 12 Dec. I am now the regional sales manager for a business to business marketing company on a basic wage the equivalent of £28000+ and I earn bonuses on top of that. This same company wants me to work in New Zealand after and set up an operation for them there. They would be paying for flights and visa. I certainly don’t have £65000 in savings but I do earn over that threshold but not in the U.K.

my girlfriend is American but her father is Scottish and grandparents are from there but it is difficult to get a visa as dad moved so young and there was no marriage involved.

I want to have my child in the uk so they can be a British citizen and had the same amazing experiences and values that I’ve had growing up. I won’t be staying for longer than 6 months to 1 year as I will be back on my next adventure doing what I do best.

Thanks again for all the help. If anyone can advise me further that would be greatly appreciated.
I have to agree with what SoS wrote after the original post from "mum" regarding your Aus visa status. If you are on a student visa you should be studying and should only be working 20 hours a week. If you are earning that amount while only working 20 hours a week I take my hat off to you! If you are in fact on a student visa, not studying, and working more than 20 hours you are breaking your visa conditions and could be deported and barred at any time. The company would also be in trouble for employing someone illegally.
Fact is, you cannot be a Regional Sales Manager while holding a student visa. Your status is that of a student..
Personally, from what is written here,I think you are on very dangerous ground.

You say that the company want to move you to New Zealand? In the light of what you have posted here about their activities in Australia re employment I would be doing a lot of independent research into just HOW they are proposing to employ you They cannot just fly you to NZ and give you a job, you have to fall into an appropriate visa category, the same as you should in Australia.
I suggest asking on the NZ forum about the possibility obtaining a visa to work in NZ, but don't assume that a) it will happen overnight or even b) that you will even qualify for anything beyond a Working Holiday Visa.
https://britishexpats.com/forum/immi...-visas-nz-108/

One thing that many people do not consider is that even if a company says "yes, its all fne, we will do all the paperwork, you just sign on the dotted line" then the fact is that YOUR visa is still YOUR responsibility. If Immigration find a breach of conditions such as it sounds like may be happening here, YOU will be the one wearing it as they will say you should have checked the details of your visa.
Sorry if all this sounds a bit harsh but it needs to be said as a warning to others as well, who may read the thread in the future.
Old Oct 12th 2018, 10:42 am
Home and Happy

Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

My bad for not fully explaining. I will be there at the same time and we’ll have savings and will also be working in a sales role, so I will be there providing. After a while i will want to work somewhere warmer With more things for us to do.

Thanks again
Don't forget to consider, if you and the girlfriend do get visas for NZ and go there, make sure she has good medical insurance which covers the pregnancy.
Also make sure, if she is abe to enter the UK on a visa, or whatever, that she is still able to fly at that time- check the dates on which airlines start refusing to fly pregnant mothers, I believe some refuse after 26/28 weeks.
Old Oct 12th 2018, 11:11 am

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

Both grandparents are British, her Father was born in Britain in 62, he left to America in the early 70’s and my girlfriend was born in December of 1993.

thanks again
If her parents never married then she is not currently a British citizen but she can apply to register using Form UKF. The application itself is free but she will need to pay £80 towards the cost of her citizenship ceremony. I would start the process immediately to ensure that she has enough time to obtain her citizenship and passport before her pregnancy becomes too advanced to fly. As a British citizen ordinarily resident in the UK she will then be able to give birth in the UK on the NHS for free. It may be advisable to travel to the UK now and complete the registration process from within the UK so she doesn’t get stuck in Australia.

https://www.gov.uk/apply-citizenship...-1983-and-2006

Last edited by BritInParis; Oct 12th 2018 at 11:13 am.
Old Oct 12th 2018, 11:54 am
Home and Happy

Originally Posted by BritInParis
If her parents never married then she is not currently a British citizen but she can apply to register using Form UKF. The application itself is free but she will need to pay £80 towards the cost of her citizenship ceremony. I would start the process immediately to ensure that she has enough time to obtain her citizenship and passport before her pregnancy becomes too advanced to fly. As a British citizen ordinarily resident in the UK she will then be able to give birth in the UK on the NHS for free. It may be advisable to travel to the UK now and complete the registration process from within the UK so she doesn’t get stuck in Australia.

https://www.gov.uk/apply-citizenship...-1983-and-2006
Something that occurred to me, which I have wondered before, and may or may not be relevant here I don't know what visa she is on in Aus, but I know someone on a WHV cannot be accompanied by dependents. It came up once before and I don't think anyone knew the answer if someone on a WHV gives birth whilst in Aus, they are obviously then accompanied by a dependent - where does that leave them,and the child, - visa-wise?
Old Oct 12th 2018, 12:01 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Something that occurred to me, which I have wondered before, and may or may not be relevant here I don't know what visa she is on in Aus, but I know someone on a WHV cannot be accompanied by dependents. It came up once before and I don't think anyone knew the answer if someone on a WHV gives birth whilst in Aus, they are obviously then accompanied by a dependent - where does that leave them,and the child, - visa-wise?
If she’s on a 462 and planned to give birth in Australia then she would need to inform DoHA of a change in circumstances. I suspect she would be required to change visa types or leave the country as soon as was reasonably possible. Legend would have more information on this if any MARA agent reading this would like to check.
Old Oct 12th 2018, 12:27 pm
Home and Happy

Originally Posted by BritInParis
If she’s on a 462 and planned to give birth in Australia then she would need to inform DoHA of a change in circumstances. I suspect she would be required to change visa types or leave the country as soon as was reasonably possible. Legend would have more information on this if any MARA agent reading this would like to check.
Thanks!
Old Oct 12th 2018, 5:52 pm
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks again
OK, but you did say that you'd be off after 6 months to one year! You mean, together with your new family?
Having gone through the hassle of moving to the UK, pregnant, and having the baby there, make sure your gf and baby are ready to go off on another adventure with you so soon! I'm obviously more conservative than she is, but, having had two babies, my mind boggles at the idea of going off on an adventure with a young baby, let alone with "more things for us to do". I can assure you that "adventure time" is limited with a baby in tow!
Why not go straight to "somewhere warmer" to work and for the baby's birth, without going to the UK? Or would that be even more complicated?
All the best, anyway!
P.S. Since you're British, your child will be British too, wherever he/she is born. You'd register them with the British Consulate of the country of birth.

Last edited by dmu; Oct 12th 2018 at 5:58 pm.
Old Oct 14th 2018, 5:54 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

I am hoping both the OP and her son will update with their thoughts.

We have this between us all from all around the world and are more than happy to help and guide.
Old Oct 15th 2018, 10:42 pm
Just Joined

Englishborn is an unknown quantity at this point

We are now looking at places that we would like to be, but I think family is important at a time like that so would prefer to be around our families.

I just want want to say thanks again everyone ❤️