Some unanswered questions after initial research

Old Aug 2nd 2020, 7:40 pm
Just Joined

Sir Spangle has a reputation beyond reputeSir Spangle has a reputation beyond reputeSir Spangle has a reputation beyond reputeSir Spangle has a reputation beyond reputeSir Spangle has a reputation beyond reputeSir Spangle has a reputation beyond reputeSir Spangle has a reputation beyond reputeSir Spangle has a reputation beyond reputeSir Spangle has a reputation beyond reputeSir Spangle has a reputation beyond reputeSir Spangle has a reputation beyond repute
Default Some unanswered questions after initial research

Context: I am a British citizen by birth, my wife is American. We have been living in the US for the past 15 years, in fact since we were married, and I have dual citizenship now. For family reasons I'd like us both to spend an extended period back in the UK (maybe 2 - 3 years, or longer, depending on how it turns out). So I am looking at the Family Visa (for my wife) as the way forward for us. I've been researching on the gov.uk website, but I have some follow-up questions that I am unsure about. Maybe some experts among you can assist? Many thanks in advance if so:
  1. I’m unsure how the Family Visa and the "5-year route" relate to each other — does the 2.5 years granted by the Family Visa count as part of the "5-year route"?
  2. If my wife travels with me to the UK as a visitor, does she then have to return to the US to apply for the Family Visa, or can she remain resident while we apply? If she must return to the US, should I remain resident in the UK while she is applying from abroad?
  3. Does the money in our US bank account and stocks count toward our financial eligibility, or must all monies be in a UK bank? (We will be coming as retirees, rather than earning a wage)
  4. Is the the proof of income a one-off thing, or ongoing (i.e. can we blow our money on buying a property or must it sit in the bank as proof of financial eligibility)?
Again, thank you if you can help.
Old Aug 2nd 2020, 8:21 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Some unanswered questions after initial research

1. The 5 year route is the Family route - your first visa is for 2.5 years, the second visa, which takes you up to applying for Indefinite Leave to Remain, is another 2.5 years.
2. Yes, she returns to the US to apply for the visa - she cannot apply in the UK. You can go with her or remain in the UK, whichever is easier
3. Monies in a recognised US bank is fine. Stocks too, although note that the requirements ask for cash savings.
4. You can spend it all if you wish once the first visa has been obtained; HOWEVER you have to fulfill the financial requirements again for the second visa and also to apply for Indefinite leave to remain..... better not to blow it all.
Old Aug 2nd 2020, 11:50 pm
Just Joined

Sir Spangle has a reputation beyond reputeSir Spangle has a reputation beyond reputeSir Spangle has a reputation beyond reputeSir Spangle has a reputation beyond reputeSir Spangle has a reputation beyond reputeSir Spangle has a reputation beyond reputeSir Spangle has a reputation beyond reputeSir Spangle has a reputation beyond reputeSir Spangle has a reputation beyond reputeSir Spangle has a reputation beyond reputeSir Spangle has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Some unanswered questions after initial research

Originally Posted by SanDiegogirl
1. The 5 year route is the Family route - your first visa is for 2.5 years, the second visa, which takes you up to applying for Indefinite Leave to Remain, is another 2.5 years.
2. Yes, she returns to the US to apply for the visa - she cannot apply in the UK. You can go with her or remain in the UK, whichever is easier
3. Monies in a recognised US bank is fine. Stocks too, although note that the requirements ask for cash savings.
4. You can spend it all if you wish once the first visa has been obtained; HOWEVER you have to fulfill the financial requirements again for the second visa and also to apply for Indefinite leave to remain..... better not to blow it all.
That's very helpful, thank you so much for your input!