Slightly complex question on Spousal visa

Old Mar 30th 2022, 2:45 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Slightly complex question on Spousal visa

Originally Posted by ArthurBrit
.... I've booked my flight and start my job in early May, my wife will need to sell the house while I'm in the UK and 1 of 2 cars (I sold the other one to the dealership). ....
If there's a Carmax (or similar used car dealer) near where you live, your wife should be able to get a quote to buy your other car a few days before she leaves, then literally drop it off and get a taxi/uber from there to the airport.
Old Mar 30th 2022, 3:06 pm
BE Enthusiast

ArthurBrit has a reputation beyond reputeArthurBrit has a reputation beyond reputeArthurBrit has a reputation beyond reputeArthurBrit has a reputation beyond reputeArthurBrit has a reputation beyond reputeArthurBrit has a reputation beyond reputeArthurBrit has a reputation beyond reputeArthurBrit has a reputation beyond reputeArthurBrit has a reputation beyond reputeArthurBrit has a reputation beyond reputeArthurBrit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
If there's a Carmax (or similar used car dealer) near where you live, your wife should be able to get a quote to buy your other car a few days before she leaves, then literally drop it off and get a taxi/uber from there to the airport.
Thanks for the advise but, unfortunately not.
The car will sell and will probably get a good price (It's a great time to sell vehicles right now). Even dealership offers are staggeringly high right now, which really helps from a convenience factor, like you said you arrange a date to drop it off and it's much easier than private selling.
Old Mar 31st 2022, 2:30 am
BE Enthusiast

TimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah I'm just trying to let you know, your not alone in this.

I have 2 young children that I need to leave behind for a few months whilst I set up in England. The visa hasn't been granted to my wife and I was initially planning on using the 5 day visa route, that obviously got shutdown due to the more pressing needs of Ukrainian applications.

I'm confident the visa will be approved as we were married in England 17 years ago and have 2 kids together, financially we are in a good position for the visas, but until it's approved there's always that nagging doubt.

I've booked my flight and start my job in early May, my wife will need to sell the house while I'm in the UK and 1 of 2 cars (I sold the other one to the dealership).

I'm not bringing anything over except clothes basically so everything in the house has to be sold or donated or thrown away, it's a lot to do in a little amount of time but it will get done regardless.

The hardest thing seems to be finding a rental in the UK whilst physically in Canada. It's not impossible but it's been frustrating and difficult, right now I have got through to 2 landlords so hopefully one of them will pick my application.

If I don't find a rental I think I will live in a hotel for a month, rates are reasonable and the hotel is pretty close to work with a Sainsbury's on route.

This is what's great about BE is it gives you a place to put your thoughts and concerns, most of us have either thought about the same thing or even have experience doing it.
Agreed and thank you again. Good luck with your move. Since her in-doors is a frog and I am eligible for Irish citizenship, I'm going to give myself a couple of years to get an EU PP and forget about the UK. I'm still really, really salty about BREXIT. I was directly impacted by this CF. and at this point, with ludicrous visa fees coupled with unknown processing times I'm ready to say FU to the UK. The US isn't such a bad place to hang out for a few more years, after all, I've been here for 2 decades....
Old Mar 31st 2022, 1:50 pm
BE Enthusiast

ArthurBrit has a reputation beyond reputeArthurBrit has a reputation beyond reputeArthurBrit has a reputation beyond reputeArthurBrit has a reputation beyond reputeArthurBrit has a reputation beyond reputeArthurBrit has a reputation beyond reputeArthurBrit has a reputation beyond reputeArthurBrit has a reputation beyond reputeArthurBrit has a reputation beyond reputeArthurBrit has a reputation beyond reputeArthurBrit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TimFountain
Agreed and thank you again. Good luck with your move. Since her in-doors is a frog and I am eligible for Irish citizenship, I'm going to give myself a couple of years to get an EU PP and forget about the UK. I'm still really, really salty about BREXIT. I was directly impacted by this CF. and at this point, with ludicrous visa fees coupled with unknown processing times I'm ready to say FU to the UK. The US isn't such a bad place to hang out for a few more years, after all, I've been here for 2 decades....
Good luck to you as well.

I agree the visa fees seem excessive. When we did our spousal application for Canada I think it cost me around $1500 total (I am relying on a very distant memory for that number). I've already paid out around $6000 for this visa and apparently I get hit with similar fees in 2.5 years and 5 years time.

But ce la vie, we (I) want to move back there so it is what it is.

The Brexit thing is a shame for me, especially as a tourist but I don't think it'll have a negative effect on my work (in fact it may make it a little more secure for me).

I would say that if you're happy with the US then what's the main desire to leave? New and exciting opportunities, to be closer to relatives?
Old Apr 6th 2022, 6:26 pm
BE Enthusiast

TimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond repute

Good luck to you as well.

I agree the visa fees seem excessive. When we did our spousal application for Canada I think it cost me around $1500 total (I am relying on a very distant memory for that number). I've already paid out around $6000 for this visa and apparently I get hit with similar fees in 2.5 years and 5 years time.

But ce la vie, we (I) want to move back there so it is what it is.

The Brexit thing is a shame for me, especially as a tourist but I don't think it'll have a negative effect on my work (in fact it may make it a little more secure for me).

I would say that if you're happy with the US then what's the main desire to leave? New and exciting opportunities, to be closer to relatives?
It's the usual - even after 2 decades, a feeling that you don't quite belong and that the grass is greener. And my company is in Munich and currently I commute between the US and Munich every 6-8 weeks. Me and the kids are fine in the US; the kids were born here. but we'd like them to experience different cultures and my wife really misses the UK (even though she is French, she views the UK as her true home). Also the US really is going to the dogs, for many, many reasons - the desire to get out before the economy and housing market tanks is strong.... There's so much polarization on every level and the current economic model is frankly unsustainable....