British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Citizenship/Passports and Spouse/Family Visas (UK) (https://britishexpats.com/forum/citizenship-passports-spouse-family-visas-uk-196/)
-   -   Single parent sponsoring non-UK children (https://britishexpats.com/forum/citizenship-passports-spouse-family-visas-uk-196/single-parent-sponsoring-non-uk-children-906891/)

CJ2015 Dec 15th 2017 9:00 pm

Single parent sponsoring non-UK children

Hello, and thanks in advance for your responses. Any input would help. Please bear with me as I figure this out. I have been on this site trying to find out the answers, but need further clarification.

I am a Brit-by descent (and single parent), and am sponsoring my 2 Canadian children (both under 17 years old).

1- I will be using the savings route. What is the rate for 2 children - the same as for a spouse and one child? ie., approx 70,000.

2 - I will be applying for their UK citizenship as soon as they are eligible. Is that 3 or 5 years? How long is the visa to cover this period?

3 - I read on a lawyer's site that I needed to keep the savings amount in for the duration of the period until the application is made for a further visa. Is this accurate? Or did I misunderstand it? And, if I intend to apply for their UK citizenship as soon as they are eligible, why would I need another visa?

Thanks for your time!

HKG3 Dec 16th 2017 4:16 pm

Re: Single parent sponsoring non-UK children

Originally Posted by CJ2015 (Post 12400459)
Hello, and thanks in advance for your responses. Any input would help. Please bear with me as I figure this out. I have been on this site trying to find out the answers, but need further clarification.

I am a Brit-by descent (and single parent), and am sponsoring my 2 Canadian children (both under 17 years old).

1- I will be using the savings route. What is the rate for 2 children - the same as for a spouse and one child? ie., approx 70,000.

2 - I will be applying for their UK citizenship as soon as they are eligible. Is that 3 or 5 years? How long is the visa to cover this period?

3 - I read on a lawyer's site that I needed to keep the savings amount in for the duration of the period until the application is made for a further visa. Is this accurate? Or did I misunderstand it? And, if I intend to apply for their UK citizenship as soon as they are eligible, why would I need another visa?

Thanks for your time!

You may require to get the children's other parent's permission before you can move your children to the UK.

BritInParis Dec 18th 2017 1:05 pm

The advice you were given previously remains the same. Are you still in Ireland or did you return to Canada?

CJ2015 Dec 18th 2017 2:15 pm

Originally Posted by BritInParis (Post 12401525)
The advice you were given previously remains the same. Are you still in Ireland or did you return to Canada?

We have returned to Canada, and I am getting ready to apply for the children's visas.

I am looking for more clarification on the process regarding the savings route, BritInParis, so that I have all my ducks in a row for returning. Anything that you can add would be greatly appreciated! I do have the notes from the threads from before, which is what I am using to help guide me. Thanks so much!

BritInParis Dec 18th 2017 2:37 pm

As previously mentioned the financial requirements for sponsoring a spouse and child are different. Strictly speaking there are no financial requirements in order to sponsor a child, only maintenance and accommodation requirements. Read my previous post and relevant guidance linked carefully.

As you previously have lived in the UK for three continuous years before the birth of your children then registering them as a British citizens now and entering on British passports remains an option as well. Entering on settlement visas, assuming your children are granted ILE, does however have the advantage that they will be eligible to register/naturalise as a British citizens otherwise than by descent after three years residence. Registering them now would restrict them to British citizenship by descent.