Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > Citizenship/Passports and Spouse/Family Visas (UK)
Reload this Page >

Should I get a "Confirmation of British nationality status" letter?

Should I get a "Confirmation of British nationality status" letter?

Old Sep 9th 2016, 8:37 pm
Just Joined

kyle.mc is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Should I get a "Confirmation of British nationality status" letter?

I have a British passport already, but I'm just wondering should I get one of these letters? My citizenship is through descent becuase I was born abroad, but if I live in the UK is there really any point to getting it? Would it be of benefit if, god forbid, I were to misplace my passport?

If you don't know what it is, here's a link to the Home Office's guide:
https://www.gov.uk/government/upload...014-update.pdf

Thanks in advance.
Old Sep 9th 2016, 8:50 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Should I get a "Confirmation of British nationality status" letter?

If you already have a British passport then a confirmation of British nationality letter is not suitable. This is for people who have a claim to British citizenship but are unable to provide all the necessary documents. The Home Office will then assess their case and issue a letter stating that, on the balance of their probabilities, that they are a British citizen to persuade HMPO to issue them with a passport.

If you want a permanent and cheaply replaceable record of your British citizenship then consular birth registration is the way to go providing you were born in the US after 1 January 1983.