Settlement visa timings

Old Sep 13th 2015, 10:29 pm
Just Joined

Eagle60 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Settlement visa timings

Hi,

My wife is currently applying for a Settlement Visa, to join me in the UK. We are in the US at the moment and plan to get back to the UK in March 2016.

I understand it takes an average of 3 months for the application to be processed. Is there still a 3 month period after you have been granted the visa to allow you to tie things up before going to the UK?

thanks
Old Sep 14th 2015, 7:51 am
BE Forum Addict

michali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Settlement visa timings

The rules have changed on this in recent months. It is important that the applicant chooses a date on which they wish to enter (no more than three months in advance of the online application date). When the visa is issued, the applicant has 30 days to enter and then in another 10 days will be required to collect their BRP.

I believe that if the applicant does not enter within the 30 days, they have to apply for an extension of time for a fee. Not sure about that though.
Old Sep 14th 2015, 8:19 pm
Just Joined

Thanks for letting me know about this change.

Any idea how I could find out if it's possible to extend the period after getting the visa to our date of entry to the UK? We were hoping to travel for a couple of months after getting the visa and before coming to the UK.
Old Sep 15th 2015, 12:39 am
BE Forum Addict

michali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond repute

I don't think you can do that but I may be wrong. Of course you could enter the UK and collect the BRP and then go on your travels.

https://www.gov.uk/government/upload...RP_leaflet.pdf
Old Sep 15th 2015, 7:19 am
Just Joined

Thanks

On your point about choosing the date the applicant wishes to enter, you say this must be no more than three months in advance of the online application date. Is that 100% certain?

We were planning to submit the application at the start of next month, with planned arrival in UK date at start of March (so 5 months after the application). This was just to allow extra time in case of any delays with the application etc.
Old Sep 15th 2015, 7:42 am
BE Forum Addict

It certainly was the rule but I hope someone who has more recently applied will confirm that the rule is still in place or not.
Old Sep 16th 2015, 2:51 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Eagle60
Thanks

On your point about choosing the date the applicant wishes to enter, you say this must be no more than three months in advance of the online application date. Is that 100% certain?

We were planning to submit the application at the start of next month, with planned arrival in UK date at start of March (so 5 months after the application). This was just to allow extra time in case of any delays with the application etc.
The UK govt. website link for Visa4UK says this:
It’s a busy time of year as many travellers and students make preparations to head to the UK. So, if you are travelling to the UK in the coming weeks and months, make sure you apply for your UK visa as early as possible. Customers can apply up to 3 months in advance of their travel date.
https://www.gov.uk/government/upload...s_UK_Visas.pdf
Old Sep 16th 2015, 10:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

feelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by michali
The rules have changed on this in recent months. It is important that the applicant chooses a date on which they wish to enter (no more than three months in advance of the online application date). When the visa is issued, the applicant has 30 days to enter and then in another 10 days will be required to collect their BRP.

I believe that if the applicant does not enter within the 30 days, they have to apply for an extension of time for a fee. Not sure about that though.
On my letter they told me my BRP would only be available for collection 8 days after I arrive, wording actually said to collect from X date and that is 8 days after my visa starts. They do not give you much time anymore. I wonder if it is because they only post your visa application on theday your visa starts or date you said you plan to arrive.
Old Sep 16th 2015, 10:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

feelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by michali
It certainly was the rule but I hope someone who has more recently applied will confirm that the rule is still in place or not.
I checked mine the visa date is 1 day before my intended day of flying in and only valid for 30 days and that date is stamped into your visa in passport hence you have to then collect your BRP and they indicate where and what date that will also be ready in a town nearest your inte ded address you put down. It is a main post office as well. Getting more stricter by the day!
Old Sep 16th 2015, 10:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse
The UK govt. website link for Visa4UK says this:
It’s a busy time of year as many travellers and students make preparations to head to the UK. So, if you are travelling to the UK in the coming weeks and months, make sure you apply for your UK visa as early as possible. Customers can apply up to 3 months in advance of their travel date.
https://www.gov.uk/government/upload...s_UK_Visas.pdf
I applied 2,5 months in advance and got visa in week as I did it priority. Be prepared to spend a small fortune on all of this. Sometimes I wish I went Ancestry but really did not want to work and we have to go through all this again in 33 months time!