British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Citizenship/Passports and Spouse/Family Visas (UK) (https://britishexpats.com/forum/citizenship-passports-spouse-family-visas-uk-196/)
-   -   Sending docs to NY -- what size? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/citizenship-passports-spouse-family-visas-uk-196/sending-docs-ny-what-size-919885/)

Jess15 Dec 3rd 2018 10:23 pm

Sending docs to NY -- what size?

Hey all,

This post is only for American applicants.

I just had my biometrics appointment today with the intention of mailing everything right after. However, I was handed a piece of paper right after that says 1) originals are no longer needed (of course after so much time and money was spent obtaining originals-- not amused) and 2) that all supporting documents should be on US Letter sized paper. I've previously read that it should all be on A4 paper, so went out and special ordered A4 paper and had everything copied and printed on that. My question is--

Has anyone mailed their supporting documents on A4 paper to New York? Was there an issue? Does anyone think it's a big deal if I mail the documents on A4 or can I cut off the bottom (although the A4 width is slightly less than the US letter size)? I can't stomach not mailing in the original financial documents, so they're getting them anyway.

Thank you in advance!

Sammy2018 Dec 4th 2018 10:53 am

Re: Sending docs to NY -- what size?

My husband is doing his biometrics today and his letter that he is taking indicates he can scan the documents to the New York Hub and mail the passport. It indicated the envelope we use has to be a UPS plastic or bubble pad and if we chose priority we have to write priority on the back and front and put the confirmation for priority service in the envelope with the UPS return label ...
i am saddened to if we don’t need to send originals because we could have submitted our application a lot sooner.

Jess15 Dec 4th 2018 11:32 am

Originally Posted by Sammy2018 (Post 12603819)
My husband is doing his biometrics today and his letter that he is taking indicates he can scan the documents to the New York Hub and mail the passport. It indicated the envelope we use has to be a UPS plastic or bubble pad and if we chose priority we have to write priority on the back and front and put the confirmation for priority service in the envelope with the UPS return label ...
i am saddened to if we don’t need to send originals because we could have submitted our application a lot sooner.

exactly!!! What an absolute waste of money and time. The official appendices are explicit about having officials, so I’m going to send them anyway.

I didn’t get that info saying to scan to NY though. I paid for priority, but not settlement premium. Did you guys get premium?

Jess15 Dec 4th 2018 1:50 pm

sorry-- my phone autocorrected "originals" to "officials." My message should have said "The official appendices are explicit about having ORIGINALS"

Sammy2018 Dec 4th 2018 4:25 pm

Yes we did priority my husband just did his biometrics this morning so I sent his passport and the biometrics paper . I am hoping the company that we used to help with application and gather docs will scan them versus sending my mail.

what interesting is the ASC we used for biometrics gave is a letter and it stated to mail the documents. I think there maybe overlap of what was and what is now related to practice and policies not everyone is on the same page.

i am going to start counting the days !! Let’s hope we are lucky like the last few who posted on the time line only . They had visas in less than 30 BD ..
good luck

Kimberly1471 Dec 4th 2018 6:22 pm

Im an American applying for Fiance UK Visa

I did biometrics on Oct 2 and was given a form with instructions to send documentation to:

VFS Services USA Inc.
UKVI Scanning Hub
750 3rd Avenue
Suite 946
New York NY 10017

I sent Originals which were in 4A paper and a set of copies in USA letter size paper even though it says you don't have to send originals anymore ( i heard a lot of stories about immigration refusing because of originals not being sent ) So i sent both

BUT somehow UPS decided to deliver to:

British Consulate In New York
845 3rd Ave
New York NY.

Has this happened to anyone else?

All of my originals and a set of copies with 3 passports were sent out I have nothing with me. I wish I would've done a third set. Ive emailed UKVI and called but get no response just a generated message saying they have escalated my case. its been 60 days since I mailed all of my documents non priority. This whole process has been very stressful.
https://britishexpats.com/forum/imag...er_offline.gif https://britishexpats.com/forum/imag...reputation.gif https://britishexpats.com/forum/imag...ons/report.gif

Sammy2018 Dec 4th 2018 9:27 pm

Wow we just submitted ours to NY scanning hub today. I know they seem to have changed process recently but there seems no rhyme or reason to how long it takes hopefully some one who is knowledgeable about this stuff can answer. To me it seems like anything that goes through the NY VFS seems to take longer. So I am not sure we will get a response in 30 days even though we paid for priority Hopefully you will get a response soon. Good luck !!

Jess15 Dec 5th 2018 1:17 am

I'm so sorry Kimberly!! That's horrible. Can you call the British Consulate or make an appointment to go there? They must have your documents.

It definitely is a ludicrous process. I've gotten a few emails from UKVI this past week that still say for Americans to send their documents to Sheffield, but really it's NY now. I also had conflicting information all from various UKVI emails/websites on what to bring to my biometrics appointment. I paid for priority and courier service, and VFS wrote the wrong suite number on their already printed UPS shipping label. They got their own address wrong! On a SHIPPING label! One day we'll laugh at this :)

I just sent my documents to NY a few hours ago. I've heard VFS no longer say it takes 30 BD because they can't keep up. All that priority does is put your application ahead of non-priority. And NY will take awhile because UKVI has joined with VFS October 31st, so there's a huge backlog from all countries. Usually priority should take 6-7 weeks, but it's likely closer to 8.

A3am Dec 5th 2018 9:07 am

Hi I hope this gives some information, We had our biometrics on the 28th September. We paid for the courier service through VFS thinking it was to Sheffield (even the email confirmation from VFS stated Sheffield) but then when we tracked with UPS it was delivered to New York like you mentioned Kimberly. We are now on 48 days since biometrics and paid priority. We heard nothing from UKVI or VFS. We called and escalated- no response yet but they said we should get a response by Monday. We called UKVI who told us there is a general delay from the USA and they are considering moving the processing back to Sheffield. We've also contacted our MP. This Monday we finally got the 'Your application is currently being prepared for consideration by an Entry Clearance Officer' email after 46 BD! have a feeling our case may now have been forwarded to Sheffield to be processed due to the backlog in New York- which probably explains the delayed email! However this has not been confirmed. If we do not hear any other information by Friday I will call and check.

With regards to size of documents, we submitted some documents in US letter size and some on A4 as we were applying using income from both the UK and USA. There was no instruction regarding this when we applied and the information actually told us to send to Sheffield- which was obviously old information as when we called they said that it should have said send to New York. I honestly think if our documents were sent to Sheffield we would not still be waiting for a decision.