Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > Citizenship/Passports and Spouse/Family Visas (UK)
Reload this Page >

Self employed remotely, thinking of moving home with my wife

Self employed remotely, thinking of moving home with my wife

Old Jul 19th 2022, 10:20 am
Just Joined

ballenuk is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Self employed remotely, thinking of moving home with my wife

Hi everyone,

My wife and I are looking at moving to the UK but aren't too sure about if our circumstances will make eligible.

I'm British/Canadian (born and raised in the UK but moved to Canada a long time ago) but haven't lived there since 2008.

My wife is Canadian-Armenian.

I am self-employed and work remotely full-time. My income is a good chunk over the threshold and my wife has just started a new remote job.

We are currently residing temporarily in Istanbul, Turkey - but our permanent home (although we don't own property there) is Canada.

My employment is on a three-month rolling contract basis. Basically every three months I sign a new contract with the company I work for, but I am officially a freelance contractor and can prove my income over a year without an issue.

We would like to move home to spend more time with family but see unsure about our eligibility given my employment status. Any ideas?

Thank you!
Old Jul 19th 2022, 3:35 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Self employed remotely, thinking of moving home with my wife

If applying for the spouse visa using employment or self employment and wishing to apply from your home country and then travel over together, one must show that you have met the financial requirements with one's current job/self employment AND that one has a job/self employment to go to in the UK to continue supporting the applicant.
Being self employed this proves somewhat more difficult than being employed as you have to set up a company in the UK and have a business plan detailing how this self employment will continue and will meet the financial requirements in order to make the application.
The following documents give information as to how to apply using self employment:

https://assets.publishing.service.go...equirement.pdf

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/immigrat...ified-evidence (read from Paragraph 7 onwards)

Old Jul 19th 2022, 5:38 pm
Forum Regular

mavaas11 is an unknown quantity at this point

I would just say if you have GBP £62,500 savings it would be a lot easier. The sponsor needs to make sure its in a liquid bank account, you have to provide 6 months bank statements, with the money not being even a penny below that amount. And a letter detailing the source of funds. Self employment route will be quite arduous.
Old Jul 19th 2022, 6:29 pm
Just Joined

Thanks for the replies. They make it as difficult as possible it seems!

I'm a freelance writer, I'm registered as a sole proprietor in Canada so it sounds like I'd need to do the same in the UK before we'd even be able to do anything then?

In terms of savings: we don't have that much available now unfortunately.

In short: it doesn't sound particularly viable then?
Old Jul 19th 2022, 8:47 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ballenuk
Thanks for the replies. They make it as difficult as possible it seems!

I'm a freelance writer, I'm registered as a sole proprietor in Canada so it sounds like I'd need to do the same in the UK before we'd even be able to do anything then?

In terms of savings: we don't have that much available now unfortunately.

In short: it doesn't sound particularly viable then?
Unless you can prove ongoing income in the UK as self employed, then no.
Obviously if you can get a job in the UK meeting the financial requirements of 18.600 GBP per annum you would qualify

As said, savings, pensions non employment income (such as rental property) can all be used.
Old Jul 20th 2022, 10:19 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

If you are planning on selling your property in Canada then you can use the proceeds to meet the financial requirements via cash savings.
Old Jul 21st 2022, 9:22 am
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BritInParis
If you are planning on selling your property in Canada then you can use the proceeds to meet the financial requirements via cash savings.
He says, in his initial post that he doesn't own property there.
Old Jul 21st 2022, 4:01 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by SanDiegogirl
Unless you can prove ongoing income in the UK as self employed, then no.
Obviously if you can get a job in the UK meeting the financial requirements of 18.600 GBP per annum you would qualify

As said, savings, pensions non employment income (such as rental property) can all be used.
For us, it would need to be down to our income. The full-time client I work for doesn't have any preference about where in the world I am, so if I was to register myself as based in the UK then could that potentially work? They are a Canadian company though, and pay into my Canadian bank account. I don't think getting a letter from them stating their intention to keep working with me in the long-term would be an issue.

Another thought: they do have a branch of their organization the UK, so they are also UK based. Perhaps I could speak to the powers that be about being employed in the UK (or maybe switch from contractor to employee).