Self Employed and the £18,600 income :(

Old Jan 27th 2019, 2:52 pm
Forum Regular

Clloyd101 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Self Employed and the £18,600 income :(

So it seems I have hit a wall all because of my income. Looking at the spouse visa for my American soon to be wife. Everything seemed fine until I came across the minimum income. We are both self-employed dancers and currently work for a number of different companies on a contact basis. But we spend most of the year working together for Princess Cruises. So not technically full time employment.
I don’t meet the £18,600 but I’m not too far off. Is there a way around this? I’ve looked at the saving option but I am way off that.
Is there a way to contain our income or savings? She works for the same company as me but gets payed in US dollars from an office in LA.
Old Jan 27th 2019, 4:13 pm
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Self Employed and the £18,600 income :(

Originally Posted by Clloyd101
So it seems I have hit a wall all because of my income. Looking at the spouse visa for my American soon to be wife. Everything seemed fine until I came across the minimum income. We are both self-employed dancers and currently work for a number of different companies on a contact basis. But we spend most of the year working together for Princess Cruises. So not technically full time employment.
I don’t meet the £18,600 but I’m not too far off. Is there a way around this? I’ve looked at the saving option but I am way off that.
Is there a way to contain our income or savings? She works for the same company as me but gets payed in US dollars from an office in LA.
Your wife's income can't be counted for the initial application.
Old Jan 27th 2019, 4:21 pm
Forum Regular

Can we combaine ournsavings to add to our income?
What if I’m gifted money from her family?
Old Jan 27th 2019, 4:26 pm
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

This tells you all you need to know, British citizen living abroad? Non-EEA spouse? See this thread for basic information.

The money MUST be a gift and you would need a letter stating that.
Old Jan 27th 2019, 6:02 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

You can do this. The formula for combining income and saving to reach the benchmark is...

S-16,000 = (18600-I)x2.5
I = annual income, S = savings required.
Old Jan 27th 2019, 6:08 pm
Forum Regular

uddin0 is an unknown quantity at this point

you cannot combine savings with self employed. only employed
Old Jan 27th 2019, 6:12 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by mikelincs
This tells you all you need to know, British citizen living abroad? Non-EEA spouse? See this thread for basic information.

The money MUST be a gift and you would need a letter stating that.
If I had money given to me as a gift. With a letter and the correct amount am l right in saying then it will officially be my money? So with it being my money what if months after receiving the visa I chose to give the money back? Because I suppose I won’t have to provide proof that in the future I am spending it?
The extra money is just to meet the requirement anyway. I can make a living off my income and my wife will definitely be able to get a job in our industry once we’re in the U.K.
Old Jan 27th 2019, 7:48 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

If I had money given to me as a gift. With a letter and the correct amount am l right in saying then it will officially be my money? So with it being my money what if months after receiving the visa I chose to give the money back? Because I suppose I won’t have to provide proof that in the future I am spending it?
Why would you choose to return a gift? Would be highly suspicious I think.
Old Jan 27th 2019, 11:15 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

You can meet the financial requirement with cash savings of £62,500. The funds need to be in a bank account in your/your wife/joint names for a minimum of 6 months prior to applying. The person gifting you the funds needs to provide a hard copy letter signed in ink, stating that the funds are a gift and there is no expectation of repayment.

The same financial requirement needs to be met again when Further Leave to Remain is applied for at 2.5 years, and again when Indefinite Leave to Remain is applied for at 5 years. Both the applicant's and the sponsor's income can be used for these two visa applications.

Current visa and IHS fees are:
Initial Leave to Enter: £1,523 plus £1,000 IHS
Further Leave to Remain: £1,033 plus £1,000 IHS
Indefinite Leave to Remain: £2,389, no IHS
After Indefinite Leave to Remain is granted, your wife can apply immediately for naturalisation as a British citizen, fee £1,330
Old Jan 28th 2019, 3:33 pm
Forum Regular

So we worked out, with a financial gift from her father, we can combaine our savings. Combaining savings is fine just not combining income?
Old Jan 28th 2019, 3:40 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

So we worked out, with a financial gift from her father, we can combaine our savings. Combaining savings is fine just not combining income?
With the gifted funds in yours/your wife's/joint account, it's all savings. Remember that you need to have had £62,500 in the account for at least 6 months before your wife can apply for her visa.