Second Spouse Visa Application after divorce

Old Jan 30th 2020, 1:46 pm
Just Joined

alia848484 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Second Spouse Visa Application after divorce

Hello All,

Hoping to get some clear advice on my situation...

I (British Citizen) married an Iranian lady back in 2012 and recently got divorced in 2019 (three years after she received her British passport). The marriage and divorce took place in Iran and we had never registered our marriage in the UK.

Just last month, I married another Iranian lady and now looking into applying for a Spouse visa but concerned that I may need to apply for a divorce decree absolute before starting the spouse visa application. Is this the case or can i go ahead with the process by providing the translated divorce documents provided in Iran?

Appreciate your advice and guidance.

Thanks
Ali
Old Jan 30th 2020, 6:02 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Second Spouse Visa Application after divorce

Is this not a bigamous marriage ?
Old Jan 30th 2020, 7:09 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute

Think your situation is going to be influenced by a) what type of divorce you obtained in Iran and b) the fact that you and ex wife both live in the UK

The authorities have you on record as being married (registered in UK or not) and so you need to show documents which will show you have a bona fide divorce - one which is acceptable under British law.
Old Jan 30th 2020, 7:20 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Given the legal complexities of divorce law in other countries, and how that is seen under UK law, I believe that you need the advice of an experienced immigration lawyer. ..... That said, if you and your ex-spouse were living in the UK, I am puzzled as to why you didn't obtain your divorce in the UK? The general rule is that you get divorced where you are living, so for example you can't divorce as a visitor to the UK even though you can marry as a visitor, albeit with a short minimum stay requirement.
Old Jan 30th 2020, 7:47 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
Given the legal complexities of divorce law in other countries, and how that is seen under UK law, I believe that you need the advice of an experienced immigration lawyer. ..... That said, if you and your ex-spouse were living in the UK, I am puzzled as to why you didn't obtain your divorce in the UK? The general rule is that you get divorced where you are living, so for example you can't divorce as a visitor to the UK even though you can marry as a visitor, albeit with a short minimum stay requirement.

.... not to sound cynical, maybe some types of Iranian divorce are easier for the husband to fulfill than going through the UK system ?? .....
Old Jan 30th 2020, 7:59 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SanDiegogirl
.... not to sound cynical, maybe some types of Iranian divorce are easier for the husband to fulfill than going through the UK system ?? .....
Oh, I agree entirely, but the extent to which they are easier is likely proportional to the likelihood of them being recognized under UK law.
Old Jan 30th 2020, 8:32 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Pulaski
Oh, I agree entirely, but the extent to which they are easier is likely proportional to the likelihood of them being recognized under UK law.
.... absolutely ........
Old Jan 31st 2020, 2:18 am

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

Were the marriage and divorce performed under civil or religious law?