Second Marriage to a US Citizen

Old Nov 16th 2014, 9:05 pm
Just Joined

NJLisa is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Second Marriage to a US Citizen

I am a UK citizen and in November 2007 I married an American man. We applied for a spouse visa and he moved to the UK to live with me in April 2008. We had a child together but we unfortunately divorced in January 2013. During this time my husband obtained Indefinite Leave to Remain.

Since then I have met another American man and have now got engaged. We are due to marry in Jamaica in August 2015. Our future plan is for him to move to the UK on a Spouse visa, however I am wondering if the fact that I have previously married an American and have previously applied for a Spouse Visa for someone else if it will jeopardise our future?
Old Nov 16th 2014, 10:03 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Second Marriage to a US Citizen

As far as I know there are no specific restrictions on multiple spouse sponsorship tp to the UK providing bigamy is not being committed.

If that being true then only if the Home Office has reason to believe that either one of these marriages are marriages of convenience would you have a problem. If you had a child together with your first husband then I would suggest that is unlikely. A two and a half year gap between divorcing your first husband and marrying your second would also suggest the marriage is genuine.

I would however be open in the new application about your first marriage and how it ended and include information and evidence about how you met your second husband and how your relationship progressed before you married.

Last edited by BritInParis; Nov 16th 2014 at 11:09 pm. Reason: Typo
Old Nov 16th 2014, 10:56 pm
Just Joined

NJLisa is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Second Marriage to a US Citizen

Many thanks for your response, it is greatly appreciated.