British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Citizenship/Passports and Spouse/Family Visas (UK) (https://britishexpats.com/forum/citizenship-passports-spouse-family-visas-uk-196/)
-   -   Savings/versus work for spouse visa (https://britishexpats.com/forum/citizenship-passports-spouse-family-visas-uk-196/savings-versus-work-spouse-visa-946635/)

Drewb7777 Jan 5th 2023 10:05 pm

Savings/versus work for spouse visa

Hi BritishExpats,

I'm a UK citizen and my partner is a US citizen. We have made the decision to move back to be closer to family. We have 2 kids under 6, and both of the kids have dual citizenship.
We have discussed the option of me moving back with the kids in the summer and finding work, and getting settled. My partner would apply for their visa from the US, sell the house and get everything shipped to the UK. From what I've read I will need to find a job earning around 22K BP a year or we could sell our house and use the funds to cover the savings required for my partner to enter the UK under a spouse visa. Do I have this correct? Would I have to fly back to the US and fly with him once he gets the visa, or could he join us once the visa is approved etc?

I would love some pointers and advice. Thanks in advance.

SanDiegogirl Jan 5th 2023 10:14 pm

Re: Savings/versus work for spouse visa

If going to use employment income, YOU as the UK citizen need to be earning 18,600 GBP or above to sponsor your husband. (your kids as duals do not need sponsorship).
You would need to hold this job for 6 months before applying for the visa, UNLESS you already earn the equivalent of 18,600 GBP in the US and have a job to go to in the UK.
Read the following document carefully to see how you qualify financially:
https://assets.publishing.service.go...equirement.pdf
YOU would not have to fly back to the US and accompany him when the visa is issued.

If you go with savings from the sale of the house (62,500 GBP needed) then YOU do not need to go to the UK before him. You apply for the visa when you have the monies (no waiting 6 months to have it in your account) and then you travel over to UK when visa issued.

Drewb7777 Jan 5th 2023 10:26 pm

Thank you SanDiegogirl, I appreciate your response. One question for you. Once we sell the house, is it possible for me to move to the UK with the kids, and my husband to follow once his visa is approved? It seems silly to wait 12 weeks plus for the visa rather than get our life established in the UK until he arrives.

spouse of scouse Jan 5th 2023 11:15 pm

Originally Posted by Drewb7777 (Post 13163746)
Thank you SanDiegogirl, I appreciate your response. One question for you. Once we sell the house, is it possible for me to move to the UK with the kids, and my husband to follow once his visa is approved? It seems silly to wait 12 weeks plus for the visa rather than get our life established in the UK until he arrives.

SanDiegogirl's probably asleep now so I'll answer this. Once your partner has their visa, they can move to the UK with you or after you, but not before you. Good luck with your plans, hope everything goes smoothly.

SanDiegogirl Jan 6th 2023 12:02 am

Originally Posted by Drewb7777 (Post 13163746)

Yes.... he can apply for the visa and YOU can travel to UK before him....

Pulaski Jan 6th 2023 1:01 am

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse (Post 13163759)
SanDiegogirl's probably asleep now so I'll answer this. .....

As it's currently (at the time of your post), about 4:15pm in San Diego, I sincerely doubt SDG is asleep, unless she's having a late siesta. :lol:

Pulaski Jan 6th 2023 1:04 am

Originally Posted by SanDiegogirl (Post 13163766)
Yes.... he can apply for the visa and YOU can travel to UK before him....

Agreed. .... A British citizen can come and go from the UK whenever they please. The holder of a new spouse/ family visa can only arrive in the UK for the first time, either with their sponsor, or to join their sponsor who is already in the UK.

Drewb7777 Jan 6th 2023 1:50 pm

Thank you everyone. This is very helpful!