Savings split between US and UK

Old Jul 23rd 2017, 9:28 pm
Just Joined

mkwills is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Savings split between US and UK

Hi all,

Long time reader, first time poster. Thanks in advance for any help!

My American wife (of ~4 years) and I (UK citizen) would like to move back to the UK (currently here on holiday). To make matters slightly more complicated, I recently left from the company I co-founded in the US and where I was making a rather limited pay check.

Obviously, as I haven't been based in the UK, I do not meet the 18,600 required income as the failed business venture means I have not been making much over the past 6 months or so. Fortunately, we have over the 62,500gbp in savings. However, this is split between our joint savings account in the US and my bank account in the UK.

Would we have any chance of this being accepted as proof savings (providing extensive documentation etc to go with print outs of our statements from both accounts) as I would not be able to simply transfer our savings back here as they need to have been in my account for more than 6 months?

Thanks for all and advice!

Matt & Kim.
Old Jul 23rd 2017, 10:23 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Savings split between US and UK

(i) savings don't all have to be in one account.

(ii) savings don't have to be in the same account for the entire six months, so long as you can prove that they seamlessly moved from one account to another and that you didn't have use of the funds no matter how briefly.
Old Jul 24th 2017, 3:50 am
Just Joined

The Gruffalos Mum is just really niceThe Gruffalos Mum is just really niceThe Gruffalos Mum is just really niceThe Gruffalos Mum is just really niceThe Gruffalos Mum is just really niceThe Gruffalos Mum is just really niceThe Gruffalos Mum is just really niceThe Gruffalos Mum is just really nice

We went with the savings route just recently. Our savings are split between the UK and NZ, some joint, some in just one name. There was no problem and our visas were approved.

Good luck. :-)
Old Jul 24th 2017, 7:25 am
Just Joined

mkwills is an unknown quantity at this point

Pulaski and The Gruffalos Mum - Thanks so much for your help, that's a weight off our minds :-).
Old Jul 24th 2017, 1:24 pm
UK spouse visa

movingtolakes is just really nicemovingtolakes is just really nicemovingtolakes is just really nicemovingtolakes is just really nicemovingtolakes is just really nicemovingtolakes is just really nicemovingtolakes is just really nicemovingtolakes is just really nicemovingtolakes is just really nice

Originally Posted by The Gruffalos Mum
We went with the savings route just recently. Our savings are split between the UK and NZ, some joint, some in just one name. There was no problem and our visas were approved.

Good luck. :-)
Hi The Gruffalos Mum, similar situation here, could you provide some specifics of how you presented the savings documentation please? I know the rough guidelines but it would be very useful to have some specific info from an approved visa

Thankyou
Old Jul 24th 2017, 8:32 pm
Just Joined

The Gruffalos Mum is just really niceThe Gruffalos Mum is just really niceThe Gruffalos Mum is just really niceThe Gruffalos Mum is just really niceThe Gruffalos Mum is just really niceThe Gruffalos Mum is just really niceThe Gruffalos Mum is just really niceThe Gruffalos Mum is just really nice

Originally Posted by movingtolakes
Hi The Gruffalos Mum, similar situation here, could you provide some specifics of how you presented the savings documentation please? I know the rough guidelines but it would be very useful to have some specific info from an approved visa

Thankyou
Hi movingtolakes,

We provided 6 months of statements/listings for each account.

The UK based savings were represented by a bank statement which covered the entire 6 month period. It was specially requested by us and was posted to us. The NZ based savings were represented by a transaction listing (as statements were not available on that account) which we had printed at the bank, stamped, signed and dated. We included a bank letter on letterhead (and stamped, signed and dated), confirming the balance and duration of deposit.

In addition to this, we detailed all of our circumstances in a covering letter, written by the sponsor (me). Anything unusual (such as bank transaction listing vs statement) was explained clearly in the covering letter to avoid misunderstandings and unnecessary delays.

Hope this helps and good luck :-)
The Gruffalo's Mum
Old Jul 24th 2017, 10:18 pm
UK spouse visa

movingtolakes is just really nicemovingtolakes is just really nicemovingtolakes is just really nicemovingtolakes is just really nicemovingtolakes is just really nicemovingtolakes is just really nicemovingtolakes is just really nicemovingtolakes is just really nicemovingtolakes is just really nice

Originally Posted by The Gruffalos Mum
Hi movingtolakes,

We provided 6 months of statements/listings for each account.

The UK based savings were represented by a bank statement which covered the entire 6 month period. It was specially requested by us and was posted to us. The NZ based savings were represented by a transaction listing (as statements were not available on that account) which we had printed at the bank, stamped, signed and dated. We included a bank letter on letterhead (and stamped, signed and dated), confirming the balance and duration of deposit.

In addition to this, we detailed all of our circumstances in a covering letter, written by the sponsor (me). Anything unusual (such as bank transaction listing vs statement) was explained clearly in the covering letter to avoid misunderstandings and unnecessary delays.

Hope this helps and good luck :-)
The Gruffalo's Mum
Thank you very useful information- I did wonder - I have my account in UK with all statements going to me at my mothers adress ( I live in USA ) do you think the address on the statement is particularly relevant ?
Old Jul 24th 2017, 10:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

michali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond repute

I would just explain that in a covering note.
Old Jul 24th 2017, 11:50 pm
UK spouse visa

Originally Posted by michali
I would just explain that in a covering note.
I can do that - also i am still over 6 months from my move so I could change the address to my home here in the USA if that's preferable it's hard to know what they want to see?!
Old Jul 25th 2017, 2:21 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

.... it's hard to know what they want to see?!
Money, in your name, in your account(s), for six months.

Don't over complicate things!
Old Jul 25th 2017, 5:24 am
Just Joined

Thank you very useful information- I did wonder - I have my account in UK with all statements going to me at my mothers adress ( I live in USA ) do you think the address on the statement is particularly relevant ?
We gave up our lease and are living with family while waiting to travel, but our bank info listed our recent, previous residential address.

We explained it all in the covering letter. Not a problem. :-)