The savings req vs wage

Old Sep 6th 2018, 12:43 am
Just Joined

donalmac is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: The savings req vs wage

Originally Posted by BritInParis
Yes, it is possible for you to renounce your British citizenship and then use your Irish citizenship to live in the UK with your non-EU spouse under EU freedom of movement rights and your children will retain their British citizenship.

Personally however I would treat it as an absolute last resort. When the UK leaves the EU then those freedom of movement rights will end and as an Irish citizen you will be considered 'settled' for immigration purposes if you are ordinarily resident in the UK, that is the same as it is for British citizens, and therefore subject to the same requirements in order to sponsor a spouse visa. Now those EU rights should be grandfathered across for your wife as per the current plan but frankly anything could happen between now and Brexit Day in March. Mrs May could be ousted, the government could fall, etc..

Renunciation is not something to undertake lightly. It's expensive, takes months to finalise and you can only regain your citizenship automatically in limited circumstances. If you are renouncing to effectively circumvent UK immigration law then any future application to resume your citizenship may not be looked upon favourably.

You mentioned your wife is Canadian - any recent British, Irish or other European ancestry of her own?
thank you for the response. You have outlined my exact reservations. Unfortunately my wife has no recent family memebers with eu ties to attain any sort of passport.

At the the minute I am trying to get any sort of job that meets the financial requirement or close to it and I can bulk up with savings.

The family permit method was so appealing because it meant we could be there sooner at the minute we are having to wait in Canada as we have to apply outside if he uk correct?
Old Sep 6th 2018, 1:35 am

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The savings req vs wage

Originally Posted by donalmac
thank you for the response. You have outlined my exact reservations. Unfortunately my wife has no recent family memebers with eu ties to attain any sort of passport.

At the the minute I am trying to get any sort of job that meets the financial requirement or close to it and I can bulk up with savings.

The family permit method was so appealing because it meant we could be there sooner at the minute we are having to wait in Canada as we have to apply outside if he uk correct?
You would need to apply for both from outside the UK. Although the EEA Family Permit is quicker to obtain you would first need to complete the renunciation process. You would therefore likely find it to be a lengthy process overall. The primary advantages are avoiding the financial requirements and the cost, paperwork and hassle associated with the spouse visa route. With Brexit Day so close however it’s not something I could recommend.

Do you own property in Canada that you would sell when you left in order to meet the financial requirements through cash savings?