The savings req vs wage

Old Jul 20th 2018, 12:28 pm
Just Joined

donalmac is an unknown quantity at this point
Default The savings req vs wage

Hi everyone, i am looking to move my family back to the UK (Northern Ireland). I am a citizen, born raised in UK and my 2 kids are both. Rotisserie passport holders through me. My wife is solely Canadian.

I am am curious as to the savings requirement for the spousal visa. I keep seeing this 16000 number but not sure if that’s right. And also that the savings have to be held for 6 months prior to application. So when I sell my house in Canada I cannot use the equity amount to meet this requirment.

i am only asking as the job I am applying for there, exceeds the wage requirement however they only provide 30 days notice from job offer to start date. Obviously to sell everything, apply for visa and move in 30 days is a lot. So I was planning on selling everything and taking a bit of a gamble and moving over prior to job offer so we are settled.

thanks
Old Jul 20th 2018, 1:25 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The savings req vs wage

Originally Posted by donalmac
Hi everyone, i am looking to move my family back to the UK (Northern Ireland). I am a citizen, born raised in UK and my 2 kids are both. Rotisserie passport holders through me. My wife is solely Canadian.

I am am curious as to the savings requirement for the spousal visa. I keep seeing this 16000 number but not sure if that’s right. And also that the savings have to be held for 6 months prior to application. So when I sell my house in Canada I cannot use the equity amount to meet this requirment.

i am only asking as the job I am applying for there, exceeds the wage requirement however they only provide 30 days notice from job offer to start date. Obviously to sell everything, apply for visa and move in 30 days is a lot. So I was planning on selling everything and taking a bit of a gamble and moving over prior to job offer so we are settled.

thanks
In Republic myself, but it is a requirement , unless you have an income https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/cy...ive-in-the-uk/
You don’t need to meet the financial requirement if you have refugee status or humanitarian protection.

If you do need to meet the financial requirement, you’ll need to prove that you earn a minimum annual income (before tax). The amount depends on who you're applying for.
Your partner and 2 children are coming to the UK to live. You’ll need to earn:

£22,400 for your partner and the first child.
£2,400 for your second child
Total = £24,800

You can meet the financial requirement through a combination of:
  • income from employment or self-employment - if you’re in the UK with permission to work
  • a pension
  • maternity, paternity, adoption or sick pay
  • other income such as from rent or shares
  • cash savings - you’ll need at least £16,000, and the savings must have been in your name for 6 months or more

Last edited by Moses2013; Jul 20th 2018 at 1:28 pm.
Old Jul 20th 2018, 2:12 pm
Just Joined

Ok so despite the kids being British citizens I still need to cover them? And it’s the savings part I’m having confusion about. I cannot use the money from the sale of my house, which far exceeds the req. as it won’t have been sitting in an account for 6 months?
Old Jul 20th 2018, 3:26 pm
Forum Regular

johannalouise has a reputation beyond reputejohannalouise has a reputation beyond reputejohannalouise has a reputation beyond reputejohannalouise has a reputation beyond reputejohannalouise has a reputation beyond reputejohannalouise has a reputation beyond reputejohannalouise has a reputation beyond reputejohannalouise has a reputation beyond reputejohannalouise has a reputation beyond reputejohannalouise has a reputation beyond reputejohannalouise has a reputation beyond repute

If your children are British citizens and will be entering on their British passports then you do not need to include them in the financial requirements calculation.
Your options are:
- Move to UK alone (or with kids), get a job earning £18600 + for 6 months, then apply for your wife's spouse visa. If you get a job earning less that £18600, any savings OVER £16000 can be used to make up the shortfall. (This is where you are seeing the figure £16000 come from)
- If you are relying solely on savings to apply, before you move, then you need £62500 in cash savings, held in an accessible account (never dropping below the required amount) for 6 months
- If you are using proceeds from the sale of a house you own then you don't need to have the money in the bank for 6 months, you can sell the house & use the money to apply straight away.
- If you earn £18600 + now & have a confirmed job offer starting with 3 months of your arrival in the UK for £18600 + then you can apply of that basis as well
Old Jul 20th 2018, 3:32 pm
Forum Regular

johannalouise has a reputation beyond reputejohannalouise has a reputation beyond reputejohannalouise has a reputation beyond reputejohannalouise has a reputation beyond reputejohannalouise has a reputation beyond reputejohannalouise has a reputation beyond reputejohannalouise has a reputation beyond reputejohannalouise has a reputation beyond reputejohannalouise has a reputation beyond reputejohannalouise has a reputation beyond reputejohannalouise has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry, couldn't find the link before I posted but here's the link to all the different ways you can meet the financial requirements.
https://assets.publishing.service.go...ment_Final.pdf
Page 54 example b & read page 53 section 7.4.10 onwards - these both are specifically about using funds from a house sale.
But read the whole document if you're considering other options, it has case studies you can use to match to your situation
Old Jul 20th 2018, 3:50 pm
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

thanks
If you are using the savings route, then you need to have £62,599 in the bank in an accessible account, it does need to have been there for 6 months EXCEPT in the case of monies from a house sale, that can be used the day after it lands in the account, so no 6 months requiremant.
Old Jul 20th 2018, 3:59 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mikelincs
If you are using the savings route, then you need to have £62,599 in the bank in an accessible account, it does need to have been there for 6 months EXCEPT in the case of monies from a house sale, that can be used the day after it lands in the account, so no 6 months requiremant.
Where did the extra £99 come from? Bloody inflation.
Old Jul 20th 2018, 4:18 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

thanks
If you wish to meet the financial requirements through cash savings alone then the figure is £62,500. You can use the proceeds from the sale of property as soon as you receive the money providing you had owned the property in question for at least six months prior to lodging the visa application.
Old Jul 20th 2018, 8:26 pm
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
Where did the extra £99 come from? Bloody inflation.

Fat fingers????
Old Jul 21st 2018, 1:03 am
Just Joined

Ok thanks for the info everyone. Nerving how complex it can be to get back home
Old Jul 21st 2018, 3:44 am

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

Ok thanks for the info everyone. Nerving how complex it can be to get back home
It is and it isn’t. You just need to be on top of the facts and plan accordingly.
Old Sep 3rd 2018, 7:24 pm
Just Joined

Sorry to bump this thread but didn’t want to start a new one.

A question about bout employment in the UK. Do I have to take up employment with the company that offers me the job that I submitted to immigration?

I am currently in the process for one job but no exact timeline. Rather than rush to get everything done when the finally do offer me a job, can I just apply for anything now that meets the financial requirements and when I get there if I get the offer from the place I’ve been waiting for, will if affect anything?

thanks
Old Sep 3rd 2018, 11:58 pm

No, you don’t have to take up the job offer you submit during the visa application process.
Old Sep 5th 2018, 9:40 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by BritInParis
No, you don’t have to take up the job offer you submit during the visa application process.
one more question for you britinparis and I will try and leave your wealth of knowledge alone....for a bit

i have just recently been advised of another family who left the USA moving to n.ireland (similar to me except coming from Canada) one spouse was British (born in n.ireland) and one American. They were advised by an immigration advisor in n.ireland that due to being allowed to choose British/ Irish nationality as a agreement for those born in the north, that one could renounce their British citizen and then, as an Irish citizen, exercise their eu treaty rights and live in the north of Ireland with their non eea spouse on a family permit.

As I am also born in n.ireland I have both Irish and British passports and I believe I could follow the same road.

my question is if I do renounce by British citizenship, is it gone forever? And do my kids, who have British passports through me, lose theirs when I renounce.

it seems like an easy option to get back home with everyone but just worried about the long term affect.
Old Sep 5th 2018, 10:15 pm

one more question for you britinparis and I will try and leave your wealth of knowledge alone....for a bit

i have just recently been advised of another family who left the USA moving to n.ireland (similar to me except coming from Canada) one spouse was British (born in n.ireland) and one American. They were advised by an immigration advisor in n.ireland that due to being allowed to choose British/ Irish nationality as a agreement for those born in the north, that one could renounce their British citizen and then, as an Irish citizen, exercise their eu treaty rights and live in the north of Ireland with their non eea spouse on a family permit.

As I am also born in n.ireland I have both Irish and British passports and I believe I could follow the same road.

my question is if I do renounce by British citizenship, is it gone forever? And do my kids, who have British passports through me, lose theirs when I renounce.

it seems like an easy option to get back home with everyone but just worried about the long term affect.
Yes, it is possible for you to renounce your British citizenship and then use your Irish citizenship to live in the UK with your non-EU spouse under EU freedom of movement rights and your children will retain their British citizenship.

Personally however I would treat it as an absolute last resort. When the UK leaves the EU then those freedom of movement rights will end and as an Irish citizen you will be considered 'settled' for immigration purposes if you are ordinarily resident in the UK, that is the same as it is for British citizens, and therefore subject to the same requirements in order to sponsor a spouse visa. Now those EU rights should be grandfathered across for your wife as per the current plan but frankly anything could happen between now and Brexit Day in March. Mrs May could be ousted, the government could fall, etc..

Renunciation is not something to undertake lightly. It's expensive, takes months to finalise and you can only regain your citizenship automatically in limited circumstances. If you are renouncing to effectively circumvent UK immigration law then any future application to resume your citizenship may not be looked upon favourably.

You mentioned your wife is Canadian - any recent British, Irish or other European ancestry of her own?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.