British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Citizenship/Passports and Spouse/Family Visas (UK) (https://britishexpats.com/forum/citizenship-passports-spouse-family-visas-uk-196/)
-   -   Same day UK Passport renewal in Oct or Nov (https://britishexpats.com/forum/citizenship-passports-spouse-family-visas-uk-196/same-day-uk-passport-renewal-oct-nov-925860/)

GreyDawg Jun 19th 2019 2:57 am

Same day UK Passport renewal in Oct or Nov

Hello:

Ten years ago this forum helped me work my way through getting my UK passport while resident in the US (I held only a US passport until that time). The passport was mailed to my US residence. I currently do not maintain a residence but am on a globetrotting adventure for 18 months, so I do not have an address at which to receive mail.

I use my UK passport for the UK and Europe. I generally use my US passport elsewhere.

My UK passport expires on 13 April 2020, so the six-month "useless to travel" date is 13 October 2019. I plan to be in the UK from mid-September until mid/late November, and would like to renew my UK passport at that time. The preferred scenario would be to pay the extra fee to do it all in one day at a Passport Office (as I won't have an address to mail a new passport to). It appears that I can make an appointment three weeks in advance .... if any are available.

QUESTION #1: is my plan to renew my passport same-day reasonable, given my lack of a mailing address? If not, how should I renew my passport?

QUESTION #2: If yes above, would it be better to make an appointment for as soon after my arrival in the UK as possible (so, prior to October 31) or wait until an early November appointment? Any sense of when an appointment might be easier to get?

Thoughts? (and thanks!)

BritInParis Jun 19th 2019 7:09 am

Re: Same day UK Passport renewal in Oct or Nov

The six month rule only applies to certain countries. When do your travels end?

GreyDawg Jun 19th 2019 4:55 pm

At this point my travels will end in September 2020. When I leave the UK in late Nov 2019 I will head to SE Asia, and then down under. While I could do this travel on my US passport, when I return to the UK in autum 2020 I would like to do it on my renewed UK passport

So, the issue at hand is what will be the best way/timing to get my UK passport renewed while I am in the UK autumn 2019, lacking an address to which to have a passport mailed.

Is there any reason NOT to endeavor to get an in-person appointment for renewal between mid-September and mid-November? (I may be constrained to renew after 13 October — the government information about that is unclear.)

Thank you.

MidAtlantic Jun 19th 2019 7:33 pm

Originally Posted by GreyDawg (Post 12700335)
At this point my travels will end in September 2020. When I leave the UK in late Nov 2019 I will head to SE Asia, and then down under. While I could do this travel on my US passport, when I return to the UK in autum 2020 I would like to do it on my renewed UK passport

So, the issue at hand is what will be the best way/timing to get my UK passport renewed while I am in the UK autumn 2019, lacking an address to which to have a passport mailed.

Is there any reason NOT to endeavor to get an in-person appointment for renewal between mid-September and mid-November? (I may be constrained to renew after 13 October — the government information about that is unclear.)

Thank you.

You will find what you need here: https://www.gov.uk/passport-applicat...le-visiting-uk

BritInParis Jun 19th 2019 10:53 pm

There’s no reason not to - you can renew your passport whenever you want - but if you’re going to be in the UK for two months where will you be staying?

GreyDawg Jun 20th 2019 12:10 am

I will be staying at hostels, AirBnBs, hotels ... as the travel spirit moves me!

BritInParis Jun 20th 2019 1:32 am

Go for the same day service then.