Right to Abode Question for Aus/UK citizen

Old Mar 21st 2014, 1:46 pm
Just Joined

Jollies is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Right to Abode Question for Aus/UK citizen

Hi there! Wondering if anyone can help me?
I am an Australian born lady, (1977) but was taken back to UK to live with my UK Mum at age of 6 mths old.
Lived in UK for 32 years and have always had an Aus passport with a right to abode stamp/certificate in there.
I married an Aussie guy and moved out to Aus.
My two kids were born here in Aus.
Do they have any claim right to abode for UK?
Could they move back to UK with us?
Old Mar 21st 2014, 4:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

roaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Right to Abode Question for Aus/UK citizen

It sounds like you might be eligible to register as a British citizen by descent (presuming your UK mum was British from birth and born in the UK).

If you do, then as you lived in the UK for at least 3 continuous years before your children were born I think you would be able to register your children as British by descent - hopefully someone can confirm or reject that.
Old Mar 21st 2014, 9:26 pm
Just Joined

Jollies is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for the help!
Any confirmation would be great!
Old Mar 22nd 2014, 12:48 am

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

There's a similar thread going on at the moment. A recent change in the law means you can now register as a British citizen (Section 4C) and having done so then you can also register your children as British citizens (Section 3(1)).

You would still need a spousal visa for your husband unless he has access himself to an EEA passport or ancestry visa. The financial requirements are pretty onerous so check the wiki to see if you qualify.