Right of Abode

Old Jun 13th 2015, 4:20 am
Just Joined

hellola is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Right of Abode

My son has the 'right of abode' cerificate in an expired passport. He has travelled in and out of the UK with it together with his current passport without any problems.

However, he will be starting a new job back in the UK this August and needs to show proof of his 'right of abode' in a current passport. Could anyone advice how long it would take to process if he were to fly back to London and apply via standard mail?
Or can he use the premium service that is on the side bar shown on the website, where he needs to go in person to one of the processing centres and it would be faster? It's not very clear whether this fast track service is available for ROA renewal applications.

Btw, he is holding a Malaysian passport. He has also recently became a Canadian citizen and has a Canadian passport, would it be easier to use his Canadian passport for his application for ROA or stay with his Malaysian passport?

Hope the wise people on this forum are able to help with this urgent matter.

Thank you in advance!
Old Jun 13th 2015, 10:54 pm
Looking Around~

Vexcore has a reputation beyond reputeVexcore has a reputation beyond reputeVexcore has a reputation beyond reputeVexcore has a reputation beyond reputeVexcore has a reputation beyond reputeVexcore has a reputation beyond reputeVexcore has a reputation beyond reputeVexcore has a reputation beyond reputeVexcore has a reputation beyond reputeVexcore has a reputation beyond reputeVexcore has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Right of Abode

Get British Citizen?? if he has 'right of abode' im sure he can get a british passport,

why be complicated? if your son can get a british passport then what the hell you waiting for? !!!

Apply ASAP
Old Jun 13th 2015, 11:15 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

What is his entitlement to ROA? If he's a British citizen then he should just apply for his British passport. If he has recently naturalised as a Canadian citizen then any negative effects on his Malaysian citizenship will have already taken place.

If he's not a British citizen but holds ROA then he can renew his certificate from abroad - he doesn't need to travel back to the UK.
Old Jun 14th 2015, 1:12 am
Just Joined

Thank you both for taking the time to reply. My son is currently working in Malaysia and he was able to get a transfer to the London office via his company, based on the fact he has 'the right of abode' hence the right to work in the UK.

However, due to time constraint, his new postion starts in August, but his certificate is still in an expired passport.

He is now womdering whether it would be faster to return to London to fast track his application since it would take 3 months to get it done in KL.

Would the Liverpool office have the fast track service? if not generally how long does it take to get it done back in the UK?

He has basically only 1.5 month to get his ROA cerificate on to a current passport, is this suffcient time if applied in the UK?

Any further advice is appreciated, thanks!
Old Jun 14th 2015, 1:29 am
Just Joined

Oh, forgot to mentioned that he has a birth certificate registered at the British High Commission in KL

And has this on his birth certificate:
Registered as a British citizen under the following sections of the British Nationality Act 1981:
section 3(2) (1)(a)

My parents became British citizen and I got my citizenship through them.

His previous ROA certificates has always been renewed by me, however he is now considered an adult and would need to apply online on his own, hence why he overlooked the fact he now need to urgently get this done before starting his job in London.
Old Jun 14th 2015, 11:09 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hellola
Oh, forgot to mentioned that he has a birth certificate registered at the British High Commission in KL

And has this on his birth certificate:
Registered as a British citizen under the following sections of the British Nationality Act 1981:
section 3(2) (1)(a)

My parents became British citizen and I got my citizenship through them.

His previous ROA certificates has always been renewed by me, however he is now considered an adult and would need to apply online on his own, hence why he overlooked the fact he now need to urgently get this done before starting his job in London.
If he has a British consular birth certificate showing that he is a British citizen then that should satisfy his new employer as to his right to work in the UK. If not then it would be quicker and cheaper for him to travel to the UK and apply for his first British passport there than try and obtain another ROA certificate from Malaysia.
Old Jun 15th 2015, 1:14 am
Just Joined

Thank you BIP, you have really given us some valuable advice and I can tell him not to be too anxious about losing his job offer.

Have a great weekend!