Returning to the UK with my Japanese wife

Old Jan 7th 2014, 8:38 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Returning to the UK with my Japanese wife

Originally Posted by sj33
There's my hurdle right there. The UK actually only has that requirement for partners who are not married.

Actually, I'm a bit confused. I thought people following the SS route did not need a visa for their partners. Can the SS route actually be followed by people in marriages for under 2 years?
Read the paragraph above. 'Partner' in this context refers to unmarried partners. Your wife is your spouse and therefore you just need your marriage certificate to prove your relationship.
Old Jan 7th 2014, 8:47 pm
Just Joined

sj33 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thank you very much, glad it was just a semantic issue!

I need to discuss things with both my wife and family back home, and see what we decide is the best way forward. As I say, while staying in Japan might seem like the most sensible thing, it would still leave the financial and language requirements unresolved.

Would the fact that we are currently living separately cause any potential problems? I think our reasons for doing so are quite reasonable, but I'm conscious that it might raise a few alarm bells during the process.

I'm aware that other people here are in a more difficult situation than me, by the way. Many people here have children, have been in longer term relationships, etc. But obviously for myself, my marriage isn't worth less than anybody else's - and of course, we have been together as a couple longer than the marriage.
Old Jan 7th 2014, 9:21 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you very much, glad it was just a semantic issue!

I need to discuss things with both my wife and family back home, and see what we decide is the best way forward. As I say, while staying in Japan might seem like the most sensible thing, it would still leave the financial and language requirements unresolved.

Would the fact that we are currently living separately cause any potential problems? I think our reasons for doing so are quite reasonable, but I'm conscious that it might raise a few alarm bells during the process.

I'm aware that other people here are in a more difficult situation than me, by the way. Many people here have children, have been in longer term relationships, etc. But obviously for myself, my marriage isn't worth less than anybody else's - and of course, we have been together as a couple longer than the marriage.
It's not a requirement to provide any proof of relationship beyond your marriage certificate. Providing you can find work in Ireland then it should be a fairly easy plan to execute.

Just make sure you apply for your wife's residence card after you arrive.
Old Jan 8th 2014, 12:14 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks.

In fairness, us not living together is purely a practical decision - she can move in at any time, but she'll have to quit her job and find a new one here. Given that I may or may not be in Japan after September seeing as how I'm not sure how the visa issues will work out, it doesn't make much sense for her to give it up. Nonetheless, it looks like something we may have to do.

Even if I were to return to the UK and find a new that pays more than enough to pass the financial threshold, we still face the issue of language requirements. I must admit, it feels like I'm being punished for choosing a wife who happens to not be so good at English.

It looks like my choices are to either find employment in Japan (which I'm working on, but as some others can probably confirm, this is very difficult in Japan unless you do English teaching, and that still leaves the financial and language requirements unresolved); or to come home, make preparations to move to another EEA country such as Ireland, then apply to bring my wife over at a later date. The latter actually seems like it might be a better idea in the long run - none of the financial and language requirements, no need for my wife to move to Kyoto merely for 8 months, etc.).
In what subject will be your degree when you graduate? You chose to do it in Japan (presumably in Japanese?) so did you not consider how you could use it in Japan?

How will it benefit you if you move to anywhere outside of Japan?
Old Jan 8th 2014, 1:45 am
Just Joined

I have a BA in Japanese Studies from a UK institution, and am studying an MA in International Relations in Japan (ironically, the former taught predominantly in Japanese and the latter in English). I will admit my decision to study those specific subjects may not have been the wisest - the former was because I wanted to learn Japanese, the latter because I wanted to return to Japan and study at the university where I spent my year abroad.

Hindsight is 20-20, I suppose. The Japanese employment environment isn't so kind to foreigners because you are assumed to not be here long term. It's a bit of a chicken and egg scenario - people tend to be here short term because of the less-than-accommodating employment environment, but that also serves to reinforce the state of things. The easiest position to get is English teaching, but this is not really a long-term position - English teaching tends to be for a couple of years, very unstable employment environment. Given that I'm looking to start a family, it makes more sense to work towards longer-term employment in Europe. Quite frankly, I don't think I'm being unreasonable in desiring to seek employment in my home country.

People may not agree with the decisions that I made as a much younger, more naive person, but they were mine to make and I don't necessarily regret my decisions (they were what I wanted to do at the time). If I regret anything, it's the fact that I face the current predicament.
Old Jan 8th 2014, 1:53 am
WhiteRabbit

rebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond repute

I have a BA in Japanese Studies from a UK institution, and am studying an MA in International Relations in Japan (ironically, the former taught predominantly in Japanese and the latter in English). I will admit my decision to study those specific subjects may not have been the wisest - the former was because I wanted to learn Japanese, the latter because I wanted to return to Japan and study at the university where I spent my year abroad.

Hindsight is 20-20, I suppose. The Japanese employment environment isn't so kind to foreigners because you are assumed to not be here long term. It's a bit of a chicken and egg scenario - people tend to be here short term because of the less-than-accommodating employment environment, but that also serves to reinforce the state of things. The easiest position to get is English teaching, but this is not really a long-term position - English teaching tends to be for a couple of years, very unstable employment environment. Given that I'm looking to start a family, it makes more sense to work towards longer-term employment in Europe. Quite frankly, I don't think I'm being unreasonable in desiring to seek employment in my home country.

People may not agree with the decisions that I made as a much younger, more naive person, but they were mine to make and I don't necessarily regret my decisions (they were what I wanted to do at the time). If I regret anything, it's the fact that I face the current predicament.
Aren't these type of degrees usually valued in the field of government - as in diplomacy and international business relations?
Old Jan 8th 2014, 2:12 am
Just Joined

You'd think so. Indeed, that was one of my more rational reasons for taking the MA in International Relations. The reality is a bit different, though. Not only is it an extremely competitive field, but it is one that values experience above all else. Essentially, you don't have much of a chance unless you are in a position to do a long-term internship, which I'm certainly not at the moment.
Quite frankly, I've come to see higher education as a bit of a con beyond using it as a stepping stone to gain experience, though it would have helped if I had taken more useful degrees. I don't regret it though - I was able to learn Japanese, and meet my wife.

Anyway, moving to Ireland is increasingly looking like the best option. We wouldn't even necessarily have to move on to the UK if we can find decent employment in Ireland (initially I would just seek night shift work in a supermarket until I find something longer term), and it would allow my wife to live with me (from what I understand).
Old Jan 8th 2014, 5:00 pm

You didn't study at Sheffield by any chance?

As I mentioned, I do know gaijin who have stayed on long term and are working in 'normal' jobs rather than teaching English. It is possible to do providing you can carve a niche for yourself. Something like this would be good.

http://unu.edu/about/hr/administrati...f-unu-ias.html

Long term I would concerned at how well your wife will adjust to living in the UK. The culture shock is going to be pretty tough and if her English isn't all that hot she may struggle to make friends.
Old Jan 13th 2014, 4:33 pm
Sidecar Falcon

DigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond repute

Probably stay where you are. It will be easier for you to get a Japanese spousal visa than it will be for her to get FLR(M) and she doesn't presently meet most of the requirements for Settlement.

It's not an easy move anyway even if her English is good. My OH is Japanese but speaks fluent English with a British accent and she has found it hard to find a decent job here. Unless your wife has something remarkable to offer then she could find herself at a distinct disadvantage. As BritinParis said, a gaijin with good JP skills could have a much better chance of success once you get over the initial language and trust barrier and such relationships aren't really uncommon over there these days.

Incidentally, Ireland's job market is currently one of the least promising in Western Europe at the moment.
Old Feb 20th 2014, 1:11 pm
Just Joined

1986mlob is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello, I hope you and your wife do what's best for you.

I'm wanting to marry my Japanese fiance this year.
I will be coming to Japan on a work visa in two months.
Could you describe the process for me? The British embassies in Japan didn't respond.

I look forward to hearing from you.
Old Feb 21st 2014, 3:02 pm
BE Enthusiast

chaoclive is just really nicechaoclive is just really nicechaoclive is just really nicechaoclive is just really nicechaoclive is just really nicechaoclive is just really nicechaoclive is just really nicechaoclive is just really nicechaoclive is just really nicechaoclive is just really nicechaoclive is just really nice

You should be looking at: Spouse/Civil Partner of EU citizen or Child

The Partner part is for non-married applications.
Old Feb 21st 2014, 11:07 pm

Originally Posted by 1986mlob
Hello, I hope you and your wife do what's best for you.

I'm wanting to marry my Japanese fiance this year.
I will be coming to Japan on a work visa in two months.
Could you describe the process for me? The British embassies in Japan didn't respond.

I look forward to hearing from you.
UK visas are the responsibility of the Home Office. The FCO won't respond to any immigration queries. If you want to bring your Japanese wife to the UK, start here.

http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/vi...led/spouse-cp/