Returning to the UK

Old Dec 23rd 2015, 4:32 pm
Just Joined

TrompeLeMonde is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Returning to the UK

I am an American citizen with a British husband and we are considering returning to the UK.

I lived in Britain for 9 years returning to the US 10 years ago. Regrettably I did not obtain British citizenship before returning to the US to take a fantastic job. Ten years later I have been laid off but have started to explore an opportunity with old contacts back in London which may materialize in the new year. If it is offered to me, I would make well in excess of the salary requirements, but obviously I am not a citizen.

My husband is not likely to secure employment back in London before me as he was employed freelance before we left and it would take time to build up those connections again.

I have in excess of the savings requirements held in my name from my settlement from my former employer. It sits in a liquid brokerage account.

My questions are:

1. If we apply based on my savings, is my husband's employment both here in the US and potential future employment in the immaterial to our application?
2. Does a future job offer for the non-UKC have any impact on our application?

I am looking through the forum and think I have the answers, but want to be sure.
Old Dec 23rd 2015, 4:58 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Returning to the UK

If you are applying based on savings (62,500 GBP) then employment is immaterial to your application.

Your potential employment has no impact on the application.
Old Dec 23rd 2015, 5:03 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

1. In order to meet the financial requirements for a spouse visa savings, unlike salaried income, can be held in the applicant or sponsor's name or jointly. If you apply using savings to fulfil the financial requirements then income becomes immaterial.

2. No.

The other options would be for your new employer to sponsor you for a Tier 2 (General) visa or explore if you are eligible for an EU/EEA passport if you have any recent European ancestry.
Old Dec 23rd 2015, 7:21 pm
Just Joined

TrompeLeMonde is an unknown quantity at this point

Thank you for your responses - very helpful. That was my interpretation of what I had read but helpful to have backup.