Returning resident visa

Old Oct 19th 2019, 8:49 pm
Just Joined

Hannah1612 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Returning resident visa

I moved to the U.K. as a 7 year old in 1971. My mother is a U.K. citizen, my father US citizen. I had a residency visa, and never became a citizen. At the age of 19 I moved to Malta where I lived for 10 years, then returned to the US. I have returned to the U.K. many times to visit family, but unfortunately went over the “2 year” limit.
My mother is now 88, lives alone, and needs help with day to day living. My 3 siblings have all passed away.I would like to return to the UK to stay with her and help her, but to do so I would need to work at least part time.
Do you think I have a chance of being approved for a returning resident visa?
Old Oct 19th 2019, 9:42 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Returning resident visa

So your mother is not able to pass on British citizenship to you?

You left the UK in 1983 - while you have a mother in the UK, I don't see much chance of you getting a returning resident visa.

Having said that, if you really want to live and work in the UK, applying for such a visa is the only way you can do so.
Old Oct 19th 2019, 9:44 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Returning resident visa

I take it you were born in the US? If your mother was born in the UK then you can just apply to be registered as a British citizen for free. You’d need to pay for your citizenship ceremony (£80) and your British passport (£86 plus P&P) but that’s all you need to move back to the UK.

https://www.gov.uk/apply-citizenship...rn-before-1983