Returning resident visa

Old May 11th 2015, 10:57 pm
Just Joined

Deloli is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Returning resident visa

Returning resident visa

I know these are extremely difficult to come by and would live some opinions from you guys on our situation.

I'm British, husband is American. He moved to the uk when he was 6 with his mum and brother, his mum married an English guy. He remained in the uk till he was 18, he left to join the navy and work on submarines in the states. His mum, brother, sister and stepdad still live in wales. He has strong ties, all his schooling was there, family and friends being there. Huge Everton supporter Family, both his and mine have always visited us, so we have always kept in touch with them. I've known him since I was 9. We started dating when I was 17, married at 21. I moved to the states for 9 years and we had 4 children all over America at different duty stations.

When he got out of the Navy we decided we wanted to settle by family and finally put roots down. I've always been extremely close to my sister and 13 yeas ago when I left the uk to go the USA she moved to New Zealand. She she never met three of my kids and i hadn't met her younger ones. So we came to New Zealand. We are residents and been here for three years. I adore my sister and her kids but hate it here. I've always been home sick and now we decided returning to the uk would be the best option. More family, more support and well it's home for both of us.

His mum did speak to an immigration solicitor and they said as far as cases go we have a better one. Just wondering what you guys think.

Thanks

Last edited by Deloli; May 11th 2015 at 11:06 pm.
Old May 11th 2015, 11:20 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Returning resident visa

So how many years has your husband been living outside the UK now? Did he never become a British citizen?
Old May 11th 2015, 11:29 pm
Just Joined

No he never became a British citizen and he's been out of the uk for 18 years. For the first decade though he visited home regularly. Once we married and started having babies it was cheaper for family to visit us and they would come for extended periods of time. My mother in law flew out from wales and was present for my first three births. We all have always stayed close.
Old May 11th 2015, 11:34 pm
Just Joined

His younger brother, sister and his dad are British citizens though.
Old May 12th 2015, 2:00 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Deloli
His younger brother, sister and his dad are British citizens though.
Was your husband's mother originally a Brit? i.e she was born in the UK, moved to the States and then moved back again with the brother?

How old is your husband?
Old May 12th 2015, 2:13 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by SanDiegogirl
Was your husband's mother originally a Brit? i.e she was born in the UK, moved to the States and then moved back again with the brother?

How old is your husband?
His mum is American, but lived in the uk since 1985. Only leaving for holidays. Younger brother and sister where born over there. He was 6 and his other brother was 4 when they moved there.
He only left to join the military as he wasnt eligable for the British.

Husband is 36.
Old May 12th 2015, 5:13 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Deloli
His mum is American, but lived in the uk since 1985. Only leaving for holidays. Younger brother and sister where born over there. He was 6 and his other brother was 4 when they moved there.
He only left to join the military as he wasnt eligable for the British.

Husband is 36.
Thought maybe there was a chance you had not told us something...... but obviously not.

He would appear to have very strong ties to the UK but he has been away on awfully long time.

You can only apply and see what happens.
Old May 13th 2015, 6:56 am
BE Enthusiast

Vadio has a reputation beyond reputeVadio has a reputation beyond reputeVadio has a reputation beyond reputeVadio has a reputation beyond reputeVadio has a reputation beyond reputeVadio has a reputation beyond reputeVadio has a reputation beyond reputeVadio has a reputation beyond reputeVadio has a reputation beyond reputeVadio has a reputation beyond reputeVadio has a reputation beyond repute

Immigration solicitors never seem to say "not a snowball's chance" of getting whatever visa.

If he's been out of the UK for 18 years, and first came at age 6, he hasn't spent 'most of his life' in the UK, and essentially all of his adult life has been outside the country. Other strong ties notwithstanding, I suspect the application would be denied.