Returning Resident or Naturalisation?

Old Apr 10th 2014, 10:38 am
Just Joined

jar71 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Returning Resident or Naturalisation?

I am a US citizen, married to a Brit. I had ILR for 29 years from 1979 - 2008. After a move to Paris in 2008, my ILR was revoked. Not sure it should have been?

I am now in Zambia but plan to return to the UK to settle with my family (all british citizens) next year.

Am I right in thinking I must regain residency rights, and live for a min of 3 years in the UK AGAIN before I can apply for naturalisation? Kicking myself that I didn't do it before the move, but it was due to my husband's job and I didn't see it coming!
Old Apr 10th 2014, 1:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

formula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Returning Resident or Naturalisation?

Originally Posted by jar71
I am a US citizen, married to a Brit. I had ILR for 29 years from 1979 - 2008. After a move to Paris in 2008, my ILR was revoked. Not sure it should have been?
ILR (Indefinate Leave to Remain) expires after 2 years if you don't remain in the UK, or if you don't return to live in the UK before those 2 years are up.

Originally Posted by jar71
I am now in Zambia but plan to return to the UK to settle with my family (all british citizens) next year.

Am I right in thinking I must regain residency rights, and live for a min of 3 years in the UK AGAIN before I can apply for naturalisation? Kicking myself that I didn't do it before the move, but it was due to my husband's job and I didn't see it coming!
Yes, you should have applied for citizenship to avoid immigration rules again. But...you can't change the past.

It's not 3 years to ILR anymore as the rules have changed since you were living in the UK. It's now 5 years to ILR. Your husband will need to sponsor you again on a spouse visa and those financial requirements have changed too. This will mean that he needs to earn £18,600 per year or have savings of £62,500(?) or a combination of both worked out on a set formula, to be able to sponsor you.

Last edited by formula; Apr 10th 2014 at 1:34 pm.
Old Apr 10th 2014, 1:31 pm
Forum Regular

ncoomber is just really nicencoomber is just really nicencoomber is just really nicencoomber is just really nicencoomber is just really nicencoomber is just really nicencoomber is just really nicencoomber is just really nicencoomber is just really nicencoomber is just really nicencoomber is just really nice

Hi jar,
Yes, there are two routes. Savings (for six months) of £62,500 (or equivalent) OR six months of earnings over the rate £18,600/yr + a job offer in the UK at that rate (sponsors earnings only). The wiki here explains:
http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Spouse_Immigration-UK_
Plus a bunch of other things: Adequate accommodation, no illegal use of NHS, proof of marriage etc
Good Luck
Cheers
Nigel

Last edited by ncoomber; Apr 10th 2014 at 1:33 pm. Reason: add
Old Apr 10th 2014, 10:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

feelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond repute

You may actually qualify for a "Returning Resident" visa seeing that you spent such a long time living in UK and have UK family. I would check that possibility out first.
Old Apr 11th 2014, 7:07 am
BE Enthusiast

Vadio has a reputation beyond reputeVadio has a reputation beyond reputeVadio has a reputation beyond reputeVadio has a reputation beyond reputeVadio has a reputation beyond reputeVadio has a reputation beyond reputeVadio has a reputation beyond reputeVadio has a reputation beyond reputeVadio has a reputation beyond reputeVadio has a reputation beyond reputeVadio has a reputation beyond repute

The problem with the returning resident option is that it's rarely granted, no matter what the circumstances. Unfortunately the only way to check it out is to apply...and lose the fee if rejected (been there, done that).

I read, re-read, and re-read the 'returning resident' guidelines and thought I qualified. The UKBA thought differently, and it delayed my spouse visa for a few weeks because a 'refusal' was on my record. If you were applying after say 26 months, due to spouse's job, you might be in with a chance, but next year at the point of application it would be 7 years (2008-2015).

After my refusal in 2011, I found from posts on another forum that the changes of getting that particular visa are miniscule; folks with far more ties who had lived in the UK for 20+ years had also been refused.
Old Apr 11th 2014, 3:16 pm
BE Enthusiast

englishguygoinghome has a reputation beyond reputeenglishguygoinghome has a reputation beyond reputeenglishguygoinghome has a reputation beyond reputeenglishguygoinghome has a reputation beyond reputeenglishguygoinghome has a reputation beyond reputeenglishguygoinghome has a reputation beyond reputeenglishguygoinghome has a reputation beyond reputeenglishguygoinghome has a reputation beyond reputeenglishguygoinghome has a reputation beyond reputeenglishguygoinghome has a reputation beyond reputeenglishguygoinghome has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by formula
It's not 3 years to ILR anymore as the rules have changed since you were living in the UK. It's now 5 years to ILR. Your husband will need to sponsor you again on a spouse visa and those financial requirements have changed too. This will mean that he needs to earn £18,600 per year or have savings of £62,500(?) or a combination of both worked out on a set formula, to be able to sponsor you.
But beware - the requirement for citizenship is still:
- hold ILR
- have been in the UK on the day 3 years before applying
- have not been absent from the UK for more than 270 days in the 3 years before applying.
- have not been absent from the UK for more than 90 days in the 1 year before applying

So although it now takes you 5 years to get ILR and be able to apply for citizenship, the evidnece you need to collect and restrictions on travel all relate to a three year period. This can make things a little confusing!
Old Apr 12th 2014, 9:20 am
BE Forum Addict

formula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by englishguygoinghome
But beware - the requirement for citizenship is still:
- hold ILR
- have been in the UK on the day 3 years before applying
- have not been absent from the UK for more than 270 days in the 3 years before applying.
- have not been absent from the UK for more than 90 days in the 1 year before applying

So although it now takes you 5 years to get ILR and be able to apply for citizenship, the evidnece you need to collect and restrictions on travel all relate to a three year period. This can make things a little confusing!
ILR and citizenship have different rules. jar is planing to live in the UK, so she won't have a problem with these citizenship rules.

What is does mean though is that once jar has ILR again after her 5 years, she can then immediately apply for citizenship, if she meets all the rules for citizenship.

Last edited by formula; Apr 12th 2014 at 9:47 am.