Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > Citizenship/Passports and Spouse/Family Visas (UK)
Reload this Page >

Returning British Citizen & Returning (Previous) Resident from Australia

Returning British Citizen & Returning (Previous) Resident from Australia

Old Jan 11th 2015, 4:29 am
Just Joined

JimboYorkshire is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Returning British Citizen & Returning (Previous) Resident from Australia

Dear all,

My fiance and I are currently living in Australia, both in our mid 30's with our 3 month old child (who was born in Australia). We have been living in Australia for just over 4 years now. I am a dual British & Australian citizen and my fiance (we have been together for 8 years) is an Australian citizen. We met in the UK, and at the time she had a Highly Skilled Migrant visa, which ran out in 2011. Her UK visa history is:

Working holiday visa: Aug 2003,
Work Permit: Mar 2005,
Highly Skilled Migrant Visa - 2008 (expiry July 2011).

We left the UK in August 2010.

We would like to return to the UK for 6-12 months in July 2015 this year. We would both like to work for some of that time as well as take some time off travelling in Europe.

First question is: what are my fiance's visa options for returning to the UK?

Second question is: because our new born baby is eligible for a British and Australian passport, which passport do you think we should apply for our trip?

We intend to return to Australia after the 6-12 months working trip to the UK.

My fiance is a professional and has been offered some part time work at her old job.

Looking forward to your thoughts on this one.

Thank you,

Jim
Old Jan 11th 2015, 4:53 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Returning British Citizen & Returning (Previous) Resident from Australia

Originally Posted by JimboYorkshire
We would like to return to the UK for 6-12 months in July 2015 this year. We would both like to work for some of that time as well as take some time off travelling in Europe.

First question is: what are my fiance's visa options for returning to the UK?
6 months is longer than standard tourist admission. She might be able to re-set this by leaving the U.K. and re-entering but there is no guarantee regarding this.

So what specific visa might work - spouse visa, work permit, or does she have any U.K./Irish/European ancestry, at grandparent level or more recent?

Also, what's the plan regarding healthcare coverage (both of you). There is a reciprocal agreement between Australia and the U.K. so that may give you what you need, but consider whether any supplemental top-up is required.

And for you, consider what impact the time back in the U.K. will have on your U.K. tax resident/domicile status. If this is important.

Second question is: because our new born baby is eligible for a British and Australian passport, which passport do you think we should apply for our trip?
Both.

And if the child doesn't have an Australian citizenship certificate, you should obtain one. Cost is A$60, processing time around 7 days.
Australian Citizenship – Proof of citizenship

My fiance is a professional and has been offered some part time work at her old job.
If she wants to work, then either a spouse visa, work permit, ancestry visa or EEA/Swiss passport. She can't work as a tourist.