Retiring in U.K.

Old Aug 15th 2017, 7:40 pm
Just Joined

ExpatGeordie is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Retiring in U.K.

I'd like some advice please.
I'm a U.K. Citizen who moved to USA 20 years ago, got married,raised a family, my wife is a US citizen.
We're getting close to retirement, we're in great health, and simply want to return back home with my wife and live there, retired.
We will have savings and want to basically sell up and buy a house in England.
Is it straightforward and what steps do we need to do to achieve our dream. Thanks!
Old Aug 15th 2017, 8:15 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Retiring in U.K.

If you have cash savings of £62,500 then it will be easy enough for you to get a visa for your wife. The administration of the visa application process has got a bit messed up over the past couple of months, so it may take about six months to get a visa. ..... Your wife must have a visa before travelling to the UK to settle.

The visa she will need is a "family of a settled person" visa - you will be "settled person" the moment you set foot back in the UK to live.
Old Aug 15th 2017, 8:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

HKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ExpatGeordie
I'd like some advice please.
I'm a U.K. Citizen who moved to USA 20 years ago, got married,raised a family, my wife is a US citizen.
We're getting close to retirement, we're in great health, and simply want to return back home with my wife and live there, retired.
We will have savings and want to basically sell up and buy a house in England.
Is it straightforward and what steps do we need to do to achieve our dream. Thanks!
Three points I can think of -

1) The OP should consider getting US citizenship if not already done so.

2) Renew your British passport. You need to do this online using the link below -

https://www.gov.uk/overseas-passports

3) Check your UK National Insurance contribution records and see whether making voluntary NI contributions will help you to get a bigger state pension in the UK when you reach the retirement age.

https://www.gov.uk/check-national-insurance-record
Old Aug 16th 2017, 12:55 pm
Just Joined

ExpatGeordie is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for the advice, much appreciated!!
QUOTE=Pulaski;12317366]If you have cash savings of £62,500 then it will be easy enough for you to get a visa for your wife. The administration of the visa application process has got a bit messed up over the past couple of months, so it may take about six months to get a visa. ..... Your wife must have a visa before travelling to the UK to settle.

The visa she will need is a "family of a settled person" visa - you will be "settled person" the moment you set foot back in the UK to live.[/QUOTE]
Old Aug 16th 2017, 12:59 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ExpatGeordie
Thanks for the advice, much appreciated!! ....
You're welcome.