Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > Citizenship/Passports and Spouse/Family Visas (UK)
Reload this Page >

Retiring back to UK with US spouse - help with Visa info needed!

Retiring back to UK with US spouse - help with Visa info needed!

Old Mar 25th 2017, 4:57 pm
Just Joined

rb6129 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Retiring back to UK with US spouse - help with Visa info needed!

I am a UK citizen thinking about moving back to England after 20 years in the US. I have a wife who is a US citizen and she is going to need a "spouse visa" but I am confused about the language used on the UK gov site. It is not at all clear. Can anyone answer the following for me? It would be much appreciated.

The Gov web site only seems to mention "joining a family living in the UK". What about the situation like ours where we are moving back together and she is not joining a spouse who already lives there? Do I have to go first for some period of time?

It also only talks about income from a job. We have savings and a pension, but this alternative - a provision for retired people, and the supporting doc requirements. does not seem to be mentioned anywhere.

Any help and pointers to useful info would be appreciated.
Old Mar 25th 2017, 5:08 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Retiring back to UK with US spouse - help with Visa info needed!

As a British citizen, you will be "settled" the moment that you arrive back in the UK to live. Therefore your wife needs a "family [spouse] of a settled person visa".
Old Mar 25th 2017, 5:15 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rb6129
It also only talks about income from a job. We have savings and a pension, but this alternative - a provision for retired people, and the supporting doc requirements. does not seem to be mentioned anywhere.

Any help and pointers to useful info would be appreciated.
Pension income is fine, but if you have £62,500 in savings that's enough by itself. Other wise the financial requirement is:

(S-£16000) = 2.5x(£18600-I)

S = savings
I = annual (pension) income.
Old Mar 25th 2017, 5:43 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute

Read the following document carefully to see how you qualify to sponsor your wife:

https://www.gov.uk/government/upload...equirement.pdf

Presume you have taken out US citizenship in case living in the UK does not work out and you wish to return to the US.