Wikiposts

Replacing old blue uk passport.

Old Mar 12th 2014, 1:34 pm
Just Joined

Snowman51 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Replacing old blue uk passport.

hi,
I am tiring to figure out how to renew / replace my old blue passport, it expired back in 1997!!!
some background information,
I have a US passport which I use for travelling, I became a citizen in 2004 with my canadian husband...who also has US passport.
I did not renew my uk passport, but since I am very seriously thinking about moving back to uk in a few years I want to get things rolling, or at least know what to do.
ok, I have the old style passport with my maiden name on it, also it has my married name from previous marriage, everything was handwriiten back then.
I have since remarried (21 years ago) and have used my husband name for 21 years, I use my husbands name for everything I have.
I have the certified divorce papers with my ex married name, also the marriage cert from that marriage.
I have my original long form english birth certificate . my marriage cerificate from my 2nd marriage.
ok...I have been reading that Liverpool has a passport office, and they can process passports in 5 days, since my home town is very near to liverpool, does any know if they could process my UK passport for me, I am planning on going back to england this summer, I would bring all my documents with me and make a appointment to get my passport from the liverpool office.
I realize that this is expensive, but I just want to get it sorted, and since I am home in england it might be easier.
I normally stay in england for a 2 month visit.
does anyone have experience doing this, would it be ok for me to do this??? or do I have to apply for the passport while in the USA since this is my current home???? any help would be great.
feeling a bit over whelmed and stressed about all this.
Old Mar 12th 2014, 9:52 pm
Concierge

37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Replacing old blue uk passport.

Originally Posted by Snowman51
hi,
I am tiring to figure out how to renew / replace my old blue passport, it expired back in 1997!!!
some background information,
I have a US passport which I use for travelling, I became a citizen in 2004 with my canadian husband...who also has US passport.
I did not renew my uk passport, but since I am very seriously thinking about moving back to uk in a few years I want to get things rolling, or at least know what to do.
ok, I have the old style passport with my maiden name on it, also it has my married name from previous marriage, everything was handwriiten back then.
I have since remarried (21 years ago) and have used my husband name for 21 years, I use my husbands name for everything I have.
I have the certified divorce papers with my ex married name, also the marriage cert from that marriage.
I have my original long form english birth certificate . my marriage cerificate from my 2nd marriage.
ok...I have been reading that Liverpool has a passport office, and they can process passports in 5 days, since my home town is very near to liverpool, does any know if they could process my UK passport for me, I am planning on going back to england this summer, I would bring all my documents with me and make a appointment to get my passport from the liverpool office.
I realize that this is expensive, but I just want to get it sorted, and since I am home in england it might be easier.
I normally stay in england for a 2 month visit.
does anyone have experience doing this, would it be ok for me to do this??? or do I have to apply for the passport while in the USA since this is my current home???? any help would be great.
feeling a bit over whelmed and stressed about all this.
Snowman, I haven't done it, but I'm in the middle of trying to replace 3 stolen passports and I've read through the instructions several times. Phone the helpline and ask, but afaik yes, you can get a new passport in the UK, but an old blue passport is not renewable. You need a new passport application. This will involve getting photos certified and you cannot use the Premium service. I think you can you use Fast Track. I think, when I asked the helpline, they said I'd also need a letter from who I was staying with to confirm this. With hindsight, I should have least done mine in the UK. I'm sure BritParis can give more info.
Old Mar 12th 2014, 9:57 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

It's perfectly acceptable to renew your passport if you're visiting the UK. Old blue passports are treated as first time applications so you'll need to include all the supporting documentation you mentioned including your full birth certificate and the evidence showing each change of name.

https://www.gov.uk/passport-applicat...le-visiting-uk
Old Mar 13th 2014, 3:28 am
Just Joined

hi,
thanks for the information,
just looking thr all my documents, I have my divorce paper as well as a cert of divorce , for the life of me I can not locate my marriage cert form my 1st marriage, ( ITS ALMOST 25 YEARS OLD )I have a photo copy , but thats it!!!!!!!!!! not sure if i would need it but I want to have every piece of paper work avavaible.
My 1st marriage was in england, would any one know were a could get a certified copy sent to me ,or I could ask my brother if it could be sent to his house. like I SAID NOT SURE IF i NEEED IT but just in case.
also, one last thing...could I get a new passport from the passport office in england, it was mentioned the same day was not possible, could I do the 1 week turn around.
many thanks
Old Mar 13th 2014, 10:37 am

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

hi,
thanks for the information,
just looking thr all my documents, I have my divorce paper as well as a cert of divorce , for the life of me I can not locate my marriage cert form my 1st marriage, ( ITS ALMOST 25 YEARS OLD )I have a photo copy , but thats it!!!!!!!!!! not sure if i would need it but I want to have every piece of paper work avavaible.
My 1st marriage was in england, would any one know were a could get a certified copy sent to me ,or I could ask my brother if it could be sent to his house. like I SAID NOT SURE IF i NEEED IT but just in case.
also, one last thing...could I get a new passport from the passport office in england, it was mentioned the same day was not possible, could I do the 1 week turn around.
many thanks
If your first marriage was in the UK then you could get a new certified copy of your marriage certificate from the GRO for a nominal fee.

http://www.gro.gov.uk

As for the one week service, probably not, but you could always ring HM Passport Office and check.
Old Mar 13th 2014, 2:03 pm
Just Joined

thanks for all the information.
I asked my brother to go to the register in my home town to get a certified copy of the 1st marriage cert...reading the application form I am not sure if that is required , but I will get it just in case.
I am sure I will have to send my marriage cert form my 2nd marriage since that has the name I have used since marriage, and that will be used on my uk passport.
As far as address on the application, would it be ok to use my mums address, this is were I will be staying while in england, also I guess they will mail it to mums house.
This is obviously not my permanent address, that why I am confused.
But I have been told that its perfectly acceptable to apply for the passport while visiting the UK.
one last question (I PROMISE)...i was born 1965 in uk, I understand I have to send my long form birth cert, I am just confused about the parent information, does mum and dad have give me their birth cert's????.....also do I have to surrender my USA passport...I would feel very uncomfortable do that especially if it was not returned and I was due to fly back to usa.
sorry for going on and on..........but all this stress's me so much, I find so much comfort is other people giving me advise, especially when they have been thr the same thing.
Old Mar 13th 2014, 9:16 pm

thanks for all the information.
I asked my brother to go to the register in my home town to get a certified copy of the 1st marriage cert...reading the application form I am not sure if that is required , but I will get it just in case.
I am sure I will have to send my marriage cert form my 2nd marriage since that has the name I have used since marriage, and that will be used on my uk passport.
As far as address on the application, would it be ok to use my mums address, this is were I will be staying while in england, also I guess they will mail it to mums house.
This is obviously not my permanent address, that why I am confused.
But I have been told that its perfectly acceptable to apply for the passport while visiting the UK.
one last question (I PROMISE)...i was born 1965 in uk, I understand I have to send my long form birth cert, I am just confused about the parent information, does mum and dad have give me their birth cert's????.....also do I have to surrender my USA passport...I would feel very uncomfortable do that especially if it was not returned and I was due to fly back to usa.
sorry for going on and on..........but all this stress's me so much, I find so much comfort is other people giving me advise, especially when they have been thr the same thing.
You will need proof of any name changes that have occurred since your birth certificate was issued. You won't need your parents' birth certificates. You will need to submit at least a colour photocopy of your US passport but given your application will be treated as a first time application you should be prepared to submit your US passport if requested.
Old Mar 14th 2014, 2:09 am
Just Joined

dear britinparis,
many,many thanks ...
you have answered all my concerns and questions, my brother is getting the 1st marriage cert for me, and when I go home in may I will apply for my passport.
I re-read the information about submitting the usa passport, I will make a color photo copy, and explain my reasons for not sending my original(hopefully that will be ok with them )
again, many thanks.
Old Mar 17th 2014, 5:10 am
Forum Regular

Shezi59 has a reputation beyond reputeShezi59 has a reputation beyond reputeShezi59 has a reputation beyond reputeShezi59 has a reputation beyond reputeShezi59 has a reputation beyond reputeShezi59 has a reputation beyond reputeShezi59 has a reputation beyond reputeShezi59 has a reputation beyond reputeShezi59 has a reputation beyond reputeShezi59 has a reputation beyond reputeShezi59 has a reputation beyond repute

ok...I have been reading that Liverpool has a passport office, and they can process passports in 5 days, since my home town is very near to liverpool, does any know if they could process my UK passport for me, I am planning on going back to england this summer, I would bring all my documents with me and make a appointment to get my passport from the liverpool office....

... does anyone have experience doing this, would it be ok for me to do this???
I did exactly that on a recent trip to the UK. I actually paid the same day service premium (£56 + £72 renewal fee) and got my passport within 4 hours (had to go back to passport office to collect it). To do this, you need to make an appointment beforehand (it runs to about 3 weeks in advance, any longer than that and they won't book) and then just turn up at the passport office with your documents.

It's pretty straight forward but they want to see supporting documentation for everything that you want to change - example, I had married in the US so took marriage certificate to change name. A temporary address in the UK is acceptable so I used my son's address since that was where I was staying.

It's very easy and cheaper than it would have been to renew from the US.