Renewing UK passport

Old Oct 4th 2022, 3:32 am
Just Joined

ShelleyR75 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Renewing UK passport

I am trying to renew my UK passport which expired in 2002 (yes 20 years ago). I have completed all sections online and have paid the application fee. Just need to have someone complete the photo likeness part. My question is that they have requested originals of my birth certificate/ marriage certificate plus my old passport and proof of address such as a council rates account. I have all of these but they are also requesting my parents birth and marriage certificates which I don't have. I was born in a British Overseas Territory in 1967 so am eligible for a British passport in my own right. Incidentally all of these docs were originally sent to the passport office back in 1992 when I originally applied for my first passport. My elderly mother is not keen on me sending her original copies to them. Do you think they would accept certified copies. Thanks in advance
Old Oct 4th 2022, 6:53 am

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Renewing UK passport

Which overseas territory were you born in? Are you making an application for a BOTC passport or British Citizen passport? Where are you applying from?
Old Oct 4th 2022, 7:13 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by BritInParis
Which overseas territory were you born in? Are you making an application for a BOTC passport or British Citizen passport? Where are you applying from?
I was born in Bermuda. My previous passport was a full British passport (or EU when it was first issued). All I want to do is renew it. I can understand wanting my birth and marriage certificates...but not my parents when i am considered British. I lived in the UK from 1992 to 1995. Applying from New Zealand

Last edited by ShelleyR75; Oct 4th 2022 at 8:04 am.
Old Oct 4th 2022, 11:26 am

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

As your passport expired more than ten years ago you will be treated as a first time applicant however your parents’ documents shouldn’t be necessary. I would just send your birth/marriage certificates and expired passport. These will need to be original.
Old Oct 9th 2022, 6:56 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by BritInParis
As your passport expired more than ten years ago you will be treated as a first time applicant however your parents’ documents shouldn’t be necessary. I would just send your birth/marriage certificates and expired passport. These will need to be original.
Thank you. I have sent everything off to them now. Have been advised it will take 13 weeks! Once I have that..we can apply for a spousal visa for hubby which I have been told is about 6 months processing time. Glad we weren't planning to go until later next year
Old Dec 8th 2022, 4:44 pm
Just Joined

Yay!! Got an email this morning advising my passport has been approved.
Old Dec 8th 2022, 6:40 pm

Originally Posted by ShelleyR75
Yay!! Got an email this morning advising my passport has been approved.
Old Jan 13th 2023, 10:51 pm
Just Joined

anagerbera2014 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello to everyone,
Interesting posts in this thread, thank you.
I live in the UK (hoping to move to Spain soon) and I need to renew my UK passport. I have heard that you can have it done at the post office, I mean: photo taken, forms filled in all by them, etc... is that true? Has anyone experienced this way of renewing the passport? Or is it better to request it online directly to HMPO?
Many thanks for any advice. Kind regards.
Old Jan 13th 2023, 11:49 pm
Forum Regular

theoldgit has a reputation beyond reputetheoldgit has a reputation beyond reputetheoldgit has a reputation beyond reputetheoldgit has a reputation beyond reputetheoldgit has a reputation beyond reputetheoldgit has a reputation beyond reputetheoldgit has a reputation beyond reputetheoldgit has a reputation beyond reputetheoldgit has a reputation beyond reputetheoldgit has a reputation beyond reputetheoldgit has a reputation beyond repute

Here in Thailand passports cannot be renewed online, applicants are required to complete a paper application and take it to the HMPO office in Bangkok, operated by VFS, along with a colour photocopy of every page of the passport being renewed. This system is in place to ensure that the rule in Thailand, that you must have your passport, or readily available.

I submitted my application in person, normally an eight our round trip from my home, on 23rd December, I was advised that the new passport would be available for collection in 12 to 13 weeks.

I received an email from VFS on 11 January to advise me that my passport was ready for collection, so a little under three weeks, seems HMPO have finally got their act together.

My renewal cost me £128.51 for the 50 page passport.
Old Jan 14th 2023, 12:08 am

Originally Posted by anagerbera2014
Hello to everyone,
Interesting posts in this thread, thank you.
I live in the UK (hoping to move to Spain soon) and I need to renew my UK passport. I have heard that you can have it done at the post office, I mean: photo taken, forms filled in all by them, etc... is that true? Has anyone experienced this way of renewing the passport? Or is it better to request it online directly to HMPO?
Many thanks for any advice. Kind regards.
You can do it either way but if you wish to use the Post Office’s Digital Check & Send then they’ll take your photo and prepare your application for you for an additional £16 fee.

https://www.postoffice.co.uk/identit...ssport-digital
Old Jan 14th 2023, 9:17 am
Just Joined

I found it very straightforward applying online including the uploading of a photo. Took eight weeks to approve plus another 10 days for it to arrive in New Zealand.