Renewing UK passport

Old Aug 5th 2008, 1:11 am
BE Enthusiast

nicola411 has a reputation beyond reputenicola411 has a reputation beyond reputenicola411 has a reputation beyond reputenicola411 has a reputation beyond reputenicola411 has a reputation beyond reputenicola411 has a reputation beyond reputenicola411 has a reputation beyond reputenicola411 has a reputation beyond reputenicola411 has a reputation beyond reputenicola411 has a reputation beyond reputenicola411 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Renewing UK passport

Originally Posted by JAJ
That kind of supposed "2 year requirement" is typical of the nonsense with which British missions overseas treat British citizens.

If you had applied before that point they would have had to have issued you a passport anyway, or issued a formal refusal, upon which you could have complained to the Foreign Office for being refused a passport which is your entitlement.

The people in the High Commission are either exceedingly stupid (not to have worked out yet that some people need a passport before the 2 year mark is up) or are just trying to be deliberately obstructive.
Your telling me JAJ it is incredibly awkward and difficult asking someone you barely know to sign your childs passport picture and then to try and get them to lie about how long they have known you is near on impossible.
Old Aug 5th 2008, 2:43 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nicola411
Your telling me JAJ it is incredibly awkward and difficult asking someone you barely know to sign your childs passport picture and then to try and get them to lie about how long they have known you is near on impossible.
They are not supposed to lie. What they should do is put in the correct amount of time and you then apply anyway.

If you are refused for this reason - which is tantamount to unreasonable denial of a passport - then you need to make a formal complaint and get your Member of Parliament in the U.K. involved.

Only when enough MPs start asking questions will the unreasonable policies of embassy staff and the general third-class service given to overseas Britons be addressed.
Old Aug 5th 2008, 10:39 am
Forum Regular

Wooders is just really niceWooders is just really niceWooders is just really niceWooders is just really niceWooders is just really niceWooders is just really niceWooders is just really niceWooders is just really niceWooders is just really nice

Would you be able to tell how you get the permenant visa transfered to the new passport please.

Thanks

Originally Posted by Pollyana
The link you need to renew in Aus is http://ukinaustralia.fco.gov.uk/en/passports/
Old Aug 5th 2008, 11:37 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Wooders
Would you be able to tell how you get the permenant visa transfered to the new passport please.

Thanks
Visit a DIAC office.
Old Aug 5th 2008, 6:55 pm
BE Enthusiast

Location: Southern Ontario(house is SOLD on our way back to UK/aug 09)
dewdrop has much to be proud ofdewdrop has much to be proud ofdewdrop has much to be proud ofdewdrop has much to be proud ofdewdrop has much to be proud ofdewdrop has much to be proud ofdewdrop has much to be proud ofdewdrop has much to be proud ofdewdrop has much to be proud ofdewdrop has much to be proud ofdewdrop has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by JAJ
That kind of supposed "2 year requirement" is typical of the nonsense with which British missions overseas treat British citizens.

If you had applied before that point they would have had to have issued you a passport anyway, or issued a formal refusal, upon which you could have complained to the Foreign Office for being refused a passport which is your entitlement.

The people in the High Commission are either exceedingly stupid (not to have worked out yet that some people need a passport before the 2 year mark is up) or are just trying to be deliberately obstructive.
.....on the question of '2year requirement' of signatures on the back of the photo,...what if i wanted to renew my brit/passport in the UK, on holiday(but live in Ontario Canada). I want to also apply to get my children(british by descent by me) their first passport by me there too. I don't have a dr. or anyone that has known me two years to sign the back(except family but, that doesn't count)...Have u had any knowledge of getting British/passports in the UK whilst on holiday...We live in Canada but r moving back. hope this makes sense!

I've found it cheaper to do ALL in the UK as opposed to getting the passports in Canada....but, if i can't do it all in the UK, i will have to pay here. but just wondered if anyone has tried it????
Old Aug 5th 2008, 7:06 pm
Account Closed

TruBrit is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by dewdrop
I've found it cheaper to do ALL in the UK as opposed to getting the passports in Canada....but, if i can't do it all in the UK, i will have to pay here. but just wondered if anyone has tried it????

if you live out of the country..... this website might help you ...

http://www.fco.gov.uk/en/travelling-...seas/passports
Old Aug 6th 2008, 1:49 am
BE Enthusiast

Katherined0 is just really niceKatherined0 is just really niceKatherined0 is just really niceKatherined0 is just really niceKatherined0 is just really niceKatherined0 is just really niceKatherined0 is just really niceKatherined0 is just really niceKatherined0 is just really niceKatherined0 is just really nice

We waited over 6 weeks for my son's passport renewal from Canberra..... and from posts on BE that's not atypical.

Last edited by Katherined0; Aug 6th 2008 at 1:54 am.
Old Aug 6th 2008, 3:40 am
JAJ
Retired

.....on the question of '2year requirement' of signatures on the back of the photo,...what if i wanted to renew my brit/passport in the UK, on holiday(but live in Ontario Canada). I want to also apply to get my children(british by descent by me) their first passport by me there too. I don't have a dr. or anyone that has known me two years to sign the back(except family but, that doesn't count)...Have u had any knowledge of getting British/passports in the UK whilst on holiday...We live in Canada but r moving back. hope this makes sense!

If you have been living in Canada for some time, it is probably easier to do so from Canada. If moving back, they are not supposed to arrive as tourists anyway.
Old Aug 6th 2008, 9:51 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

I renewed mine in March this year - I took it to the High Commission (9am - 2pm only) in Canberra and picked it up from them and it took 20 working days. So add more for the postage there and back and you are looking at around 6 weeks at least. The drop off and pick up would definitely be the way to go for anyone with access to Canberra - they call you to let you know when it is ready which is a great help.

If you are only coming for a holiday then it would be OK just to have your Australian passport to come and go with - a friend has done this for years even though she is a UK citizen. It is only recently that she has decided to renew her UK passport and travel on it when she is in UK/Europe. You dont need to show them you are UK citizen when you arrive.
Old Aug 6th 2008, 4:04 pm
BE Enthusiast

Location: Southern Ontario(house is SOLD on our way back to UK/aug 09)
dewdrop has much to be proud ofdewdrop has much to be proud ofdewdrop has much to be proud ofdewdrop has much to be proud ofdewdrop has much to be proud ofdewdrop has much to be proud ofdewdrop has much to be proud ofdewdrop has much to be proud ofdewdrop has much to be proud ofdewdrop has much to be proud ofdewdrop has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by JAJ
If you have been living in Canada for some time, it is probably easier to do so from Canada. If moving back, they are not supposed to arrive as tourists anyway.

We won't be moving as tourists, only on holiday. When its official, and we know the move is in the future. we will get hubby visa and the children will then 'already' have the britpassports...What else do they need? I don't want any problems at immigration. am i missing something with the children?(they are british by decent by me)
Old Aug 8th 2008, 2:11 am
JAJ
Retired

We won't be moving as tourists, only on holiday. When its official, and we know the move is in the future. we will get hubby visa and the children will then 'already' have the britpassports...What else do they need? I don't want any problems at immigration. am i missing something with the children?(they are british by decent by me)
Holiday in the U.K. => Canadian passports should be ok.

Moving to the U.K. => Husband needs a spouse visa, children need British passports or Right of Abode stamps in Canadian passports.