British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Citizenship/Passports and Spouse/Family Visas (UK) (https://britishexpats.com/forum/citizenship-passports-spouse-family-visas-uk-196/)
-   -   Renew British Passport While in Holidays in London! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/citizenship-passports-spouse-family-visas-uk-196/renew-british-passport-while-holidays-london-924962/)

Yasmina2005 May 15th 2019 5:17 am

Renew British Passport While in Holidays in London!

Hello everyone,

I am a British expat living and working in Vancouver, Canada. I will be going this summer to London for vacation for three weeks. I will be entering UK using my new Canadian passport because my British passport has expired. I would like to renew it while in the UK. So, my questions:

1- Is it possible to renew my British passport while I am in London?
2- If so, is there a fast track option to do so?
3- How long does it take?How much?

Thank you so much,

Yasmina

spouse of scouse May 15th 2019 5:59 am

Re: Renew British Passport While in Holidays in London!

Originally Posted by Yasmina2005 (Post 12683876)
Hello everyone,

I am a British expat living and working in Vancouver, Canada. I will be going this summer to London for vacation for three weeks. I will be entering UK using my new Canadian passport because my British passport has expired. I would like to renew it while in the UK. So, my questions:

1- Is it possible to renew my British passport while I am in London?
2- If so, is there a fast track option to do so?
3- How long does it take?How much?

Thank you so much,

Yasmina

Hi Yasmina, it looks like the 'urgent renewal' service is the one you want, all info here https://www.gov.uk/passport-applicat...le-visiting-uk

Atlantic Xpat May 15th 2019 12:37 pm

I've done this while in London on a business trip. Drop off in the morning, pick up later the same day from the passport office. All reasonably straightforward but be prepared for a bit of queuing.

MidAtlantic May 15th 2019 12:55 pm

Originally Posted by Atlantic Xpat (Post 12684042)
I've done this while in London on a business trip. Drop off in the morning, pick up later the same day from the passport office. All reasonably straightforward but be prepared for a bit of queuing.

Apply for it on-line now and you will have it in around 14 days. Why waste vacation time queuing at the Passport Office?

If you really want to do it while you are there, here is the guidance: https://www.gov.uk/passport-applicat...le-visiting-uk

Zoe Bell May 16th 2019 12:19 pm

I'd agree with MidAtlantic.
renewing from Canada couldn't be easier
from the package leaving my hand in the post office to receiving it back again took 10 days.
For a straightforward renewal you don't need to do much other than send the passport and the printed form off. it's mostly done online

BritInParis May 16th 2019 12:26 pm

Originally Posted by Zoe Bell (Post 12684560)
from the package leaving my hand in the post office to receiving it back again took 10 days.
For a straightforward renewal you don't need to do much other than send the passport and the printed form off. it's mostly done online

+1

stoobee1 May 19th 2019 9:04 am

Will shortly also need to renew my daughter's 1st passport from Canada. The domestic paper application form mentions needing all uncancelled passports (i.e. Canadian and UK) sent with the application. Is this also the case for online overseas applications? I tried the online application but it wasn't initially stated.

Thanks all

BritInParis May 19th 2019 11:22 am

Originally Posted by stoobee1 (Post 12685717)
Will shortly also need to renew my daughter's 1st passport from Canada. The domestic paper application form mentions needing all uncancelled passports (i.e. Canadian and UK) sent with the application. Is this also the case for online overseas applications? I tried the online application but it wasn't initially stated.

Thanks all

You are only asked to send a photocopy.

Zoe Bell May 19th 2019 12:46 pm

I just sent my old expired British passport

tht May 20th 2019 9:21 pm

I did a online renewal from the US about a week ago.

I sent it tracked UPS which cost almost as much as the new passport, did not send my expired 2nd UK passport or expired EU passport or copies, time line is as follows:

Application history

StatusDatePassport printed and sent on 20 May 2019

Application approved on 20 May 2019

Joined processing queue on 17 May 2019

Documents received on 17 May 2019

Application received on 14 May 209

Application submitted on 14 May 2019

tht May 21st 2019 11:50 am

Originally Posted by Zoe Bell (Post 12684560)

was it delivered by DX or a different courier, did you get a tracking number or did it just show up? I got an email yesterday to say: “We've sent your new passport by secure delivery. In most cases it will be delivered by DX delivery services”

Zoe Bell May 21st 2019 11:55 am

mine came by dhl who were really good at sending me update texts at the various stages

tht May 21st 2019 4:43 pm

Originally Posted by Zoe Bell (Post 12686826)
mine came by dhl who were really good at sending me update texts at the various stages

I was not sent a tracking numbers, did it come from DHL or the passport service?

Zoe Bell May 21st 2019 5:00 pm

i honestly don't recall.

tht May 22nd 2019 11:20 am

Originally Posted by Zoe Bell (Post 12686981)
i honestly don't recall.

Just got a txt from DHL this AM with a tracking number. Says it will arrive Thursday and needs a signature.