Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > Citizenship/Passports and Spouse/Family Visas (UK)
Reload this Page >

Relocating to UK with US children (Immigration & UK passports)

Relocating to UK with US children (Immigration & UK passports)

Old Aug 13th 2018, 4:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

MidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Relocating to UK with US children (Immigration & UK passports)

Originally Posted by BritInParis
Your children’s passports are unlikely to take longer than two weeks to arrive once you have sent off their applications.
Start your application here:

https://www.gov.uk/overseas-passports
Old Aug 13th 2018, 5:08 pm
Just Joined

headingbacktoblighty is an unknown quantity at this point

Your children, as British citizens, are not eligible for a UK visa
Thanks BritInParis for your detailed response. Regarding the quoted statement above. Our children have travelled to the UK with us on vacation using their US passports on tourist visas multiple times. I think what you are saying is, if we plan to stay in the UK, rather than leave within the 6 month tourist visa, we'd be deceiving Border Control by lying about our intentions. My assumption was the children would get through with holiday visas (how would Border Control know any different), but we may have complications when applying for their British passports in the UK, but they would ultimately get them.

Your children’s passports are unlikely to take longer than two weeks to arrive once you have sent off their applications.
Do you mean two weeks if applying overseas? I've read it could take up to 6 weeks from them receiving your application documentation. Also, any idea what would trigger the requirement for an interview, which would presumably delay things further?
Old Aug 13th 2018, 5:28 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=headingbacktoblighty;12547787]Thanks BritInParis for your detailed response. Regarding the quoted statement above. Our children have travelled to the UK with us on vacation using their US passports on tourist visas multiple times. I think what you are saying is, if we plan to stay in the UK, rather than leave within the 6 month tourist visa, we'd be deceiving Border Control by lying about our intentions. My assumption was the children would get through with holiday visas (how would Border Control know any different), but we may have complications when applying for their British passports in the UK, but they would ultimately get them.

Your children would enter the UK with a visitor stamp if you are intending to state that you are only there for a vacation. It is unlikely that this would cause complications when applying for their UK passports.
Old Aug 13th 2018, 5:31 pm
Forum Regular

sun_burn has a reputation beyond reputesun_burn has a reputation beyond reputesun_burn has a reputation beyond reputesun_burn has a reputation beyond reputesun_burn has a reputation beyond reputesun_burn has a reputation beyond reputesun_burn has a reputation beyond reputesun_burn has a reputation beyond reputesun_burn has a reputation beyond reputesun_burn has a reputation beyond reputesun_burn has a reputation beyond repute

Under the circumstances, if I were in your place, I'd apply for UK passports for the family immediately, and make backup arrangements for the rest of family to travel to UK as and when their travel documents are ready.
Old Aug 13th 2018, 5:36 pm
Banned

az2014 has a reputation beyond reputeaz2014 has a reputation beyond reputeaz2014 has a reputation beyond reputeaz2014 has a reputation beyond reputeaz2014 has a reputation beyond reputeaz2014 has a reputation beyond reputeaz2014 has a reputation beyond reputeaz2014 has a reputation beyond reputeaz2014 has a reputation beyond reputeaz2014 has a reputation beyond reputeaz2014 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by headingbacktoblighty
Our children have travelled to the UK with us on vacation using their US passports on tourist visas multiple times. I think what you are saying is, if we plan to stay in the UK, rather than leave within the 6 month tourist visa, we'd be deceiving Border Control by lying about our intentions. My assumption was the children would get through with holiday visas (how would Border Control know any different)
No they didnt. Why do you keep talking about a visa. As BiP has already said they are not eligible for a visa. And as already said they apply for Leave to Enter at the border. This is not a visa. A 5 second google shows you with a US passport there is NO VISA REQUIRED.

"How would Border Control know any different"

You seem to think its some sort of game where you can just say whatever is needed to be said just to get into the country. With US passports they are NOT guaranteed entry. Seriously why risk it, makes 0 sense.

Last edited by az2014; Aug 13th 2018 at 5:40 pm.
Old Aug 13th 2018, 5:47 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by az2014
No they didnt. Why do you keep talking about a visa. As BiP has already said they are not eligible for a visa. And as already said they apply for Leave to Enter at the border. This is not a visa. A 5 second google shows you with a US passport there is NO VISA REQUIRED.

"How would Border Control know any different"

You seem to think its some sort of game where you can just say whatever is needed to be said just to get into the country. With US passports they are NOT guaranteed entry. Seriously why risk it, makes 0 sense.
Thanks az2014 - I mean the children have previously travelled to the UK on their US passports and had their passports stamped with a visa set to expire six months later, so I was wondering if others had returned home using this approach and then applied for their children's UK passports once in country.
Old Aug 13th 2018, 6:06 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks az2014 - I mean the children have previously travelled to the UK on their US passports and had their passports stamped with a visa set to expire six months later, so I was wondering if others had returned home using this approach and then applied for their children's UK passports once in country.
Hi.
Whether anyone else has done this is irrelevant, it's not the correct way to do it. You may get away with it, or you may not. The only legal and foolproof way for your children to enter the UK with the intent of residing permanently is for them to enter on their UK passports. The decision is yours.
Old Aug 13th 2018, 7:50 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks BritInParis for your detailed response. Regarding the quoted statement above. Our children have travelled to the UK with us on vacation using their US passports on tourist visas multiple times. I think what you are saying is, if we plan to stay in the UK, rather than leave within the 6 month tourist visa, we'd be deceiving Border Control by lying about our intentions. My assumption was the children would get through with holiday visas (how would Border Control know any different), but we may have complications when applying for their British passports in the UK, but they would ultimately get them.
Except haven’t applied for ‘tourist’ or ‘holiday’ (visitor) visas for your children have you? You’ve applied for them to given leave to enter as visitors at the border for family holidays which has been granted as they were returning to the US with you within six months. Lying to immigration is not a great idea for numerous reasons, not least of which is that it’s a criminal offence to make a false statement or representation to an immigration officer.

Do you mean two weeks if applying overseas? I've read it could take up to 6 weeks from them receiving your application documentation. Also, any idea what would trigger the requirement for an interview, which would presumably delay things further?
You’ll find a huge amount of anecdotal evidence on this forum that first time applications made from the US for those born there are taking as little as ten days to turn around. Children are not required to be interviewed as part of their passport application. Parents sometimes are but it would hugely unlikely in your circumstances.

You can take this approach but you either have to lie to immigration, which is illegal, or tell the truth and run the risk of your children being refused entry. Far simpler and less stressful to apply for their British passports now.
Old Aug 14th 2018, 12:46 am
Just Joined

OK, thanks all. I'm in process of applying for the children's British Passports now. Hopefully they won't take the full 6 weeks (or longer).
Old Aug 14th 2018, 1:29 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute

OK, thanks all. I'm in process of applying for the children's British Passports now. Hopefully they won't take the full 6 weeks (or longer).

....... very sensible..........