Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > Citizenship/Passports and Spouse/Family Visas (UK)
Reload this Page >

Relocated to USA with parents 16yrs ago and still homesick for the UK

Relocated to USA with parents 16yrs ago and still homesick for the UK

Old Jan 5th 2007, 11:53 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Relocated to USA with parents 16yrs ago and still homesick for the UK

Originally Posted by argyl1
If my children leave the USA on a US passport, can they use a British passport to enter the UK on the other side?
Yes. And there is currently no formal passport control on leaving the US anyway.

My husband has to have a settlement Visa along with his US passport to enter the UK on a permanent basis.

Correct. And if you have been married for 4 years then it would be better to apply for the settlement visa now, as from 1 April only a 2 year temporary visa will be issued (further costs involved to switch to settlement in the UK).
Old Jan 5th 2007, 11:38 pm
Forum Regular

THEGREATIDIOT has much to be proud ofTHEGREATIDIOT has much to be proud ofTHEGREATIDIOT has much to be proud ofTHEGREATIDIOT has much to be proud ofTHEGREATIDIOT has much to be proud ofTHEGREATIDIOT has much to be proud ofTHEGREATIDIOT has much to be proud ofTHEGREATIDIOT has much to be proud ofTHEGREATIDIOT has much to be proud ofTHEGREATIDIOT has much to be proud ofTHEGREATIDIOT has much to be proud of
Default Re: Relocated to USA with parents 16yrs ago and still homesick for the UK

Originally Posted by Irish Guinness
Hi, I know how you feel and my heart goes out to you,could you not go home even for a holiday? It sounds as though your parents don't want to go back. Please don't give up hope of returning,it took me 25 years to go back for a holiday,due to the fact I had 4 children at that time in my life,and money was just not there for me to do so.
I never gave up hope,even though as a teenager coming to this country,I cried myself to sleep most nights. Always I kept telling myself I would return,and still would if it where not for my children being in OZ.
Take care you are in my thoughts.
Cheers, buddy. It's nice to know at least one other person actually "gets it". I never thought it would turn out like this! Now I just wish we'd never come in the first place, frankly.
Old Jan 6th 2007, 9:32 pm
Forum Regular

Forres is an unknown quantity at this point

Best of luck returning. I lived in the US for four years and did'nt like it that much. Moved back home to the UK and did'nt like that much too. I opted for Europe instead. The UK does'nt really have that much to offer.
Old Jan 8th 2007, 5:21 am
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute

I feel trapped because I'm ready for us to leave now, but we can't.
We have to apply for passports and a settlement visa. It costs $520 just for the visa for my husband. It's going to take time, money and a ton of paper work to prepare for a big move back home.
Do things one step at a time. The children's passports will cost money, but I would get them first if you can't come up with the $520 before 1 April. (What a terrible day to have a rule change.)

I know your pain as it cost quite a lot to get my Dutch husband's US visa. Treat it just like any other moving expense and save for it.

Is your eldest in school yet? Could anyone watch your youngest while you work even a part-time job? Any money you make could go to savings for a move. Being a mother to two small children is a stress and can make anyone feel trapped.... try as best you can to have some time to yourself, even if it's half an hour while hubs looks after the kids.

Take any big job or expense and try to cut it into smaller pieces to tackle one at a time. Make sure you have *some* me-time, and that you have people to talk to. Obviously we're here, but some in-real-life folk would be good too. Even if they wouldn't understand your longing to move, everyone appreciates the compromises and having to make to with less, that come from being married and having kids. Unless you have rich friends, in which case ask for a personal loan and conveniently forget to tell them you're leaving the country!

Best of luck.
Old Jan 8th 2007, 5:12 pm

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Relocated to USA with parents 16yrs ago and still homesick for the UK

Thankyou for the info.
Just one more question please.
If my children leave the USA on a US passport, can they use a British passport to enter the UK on the other side? My husband has to have a settlement Visa along with his US passport to enter the UK on a permanent basis.
Yes - regarding your children it is certainly the best way for them to use their British passports when they enter the UK and entirely legal and proper to do so (after all they are British citizens too!). You certainly don't want them getting something like entry for 3 or 6 months only if they come in on their US passports since they're not tourists!

As long as they leave and enter the US using their US passports there is nothing to be concerned about.
Old Jan 31st 2007, 11:24 pm
Forum Regular

davispigeon has much to be proud ofdavispigeon has much to be proud ofdavispigeon has much to be proud ofdavispigeon has much to be proud ofdavispigeon has much to be proud ofdavispigeon has much to be proud ofdavispigeon has much to be proud ofdavispigeon has much to be proud ofdavispigeon has much to be proud ofdavispigeon has much to be proud ofdavispigeon has much to be proud of

"I never gave up hope,even though as a teenager coming to this country,I cried myself to sleep most nights"

Yikes...sounds just like me at age 14 when I had to stay in the US with my mum rather than going home to my grandparents in the UK.

Finally, 25 years later, I have a plan for moving back to the UK.
Good luck, love.
Old Feb 1st 2007, 2:04 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Englishmum
Yes - regarding your children it is certainly the best way for them to use their British passports when they enter the UK and entirely legal and proper to do so (after all they are British citizens too!). You certainly don't want them getting something like entry for 3 or 6 months only if they come in on their US passports since they're not tourists!
It is also strongly recommended to obtain British style birth certificates for the children:
http://www.britainusa.com/sections/a...=41016&a=25315
Old Feb 5th 2007, 6:06 pm
Just Joined

argyl1 is just really niceargyl1 is just really niceargyl1 is just really niceargyl1 is just really niceargyl1 is just really niceargyl1 is just really niceargyl1 is just really niceargyl1 is just really niceargyl1 is just really niceargyl1 is just really nice

Originally Posted by JAJ
Yes. And there is currently no formal passport control on leaving the US anyway.

Correct. And if you have been married for 4 years then it would be better to apply for the settlement visa now, as from 1 April only a 2 year temporary visa will be issued (further costs involved to switch to settlement in the UK).
I can't find any articles that say you can't obtain a UK Settlement Visa after April 1.
Old Feb 5th 2007, 6:16 pm
Just Joined

argyl1 is just really niceargyl1 is just really niceargyl1 is just really niceargyl1 is just really niceargyl1 is just really niceargyl1 is just really niceargyl1 is just really niceargyl1 is just really niceargyl1 is just really niceargyl1 is just really nice

Originally Posted by JAJ
It is also strongly recommended to obtain British style birth certificates for the children:
http://www.britainusa.com/sections/a...=41016&a=25315
We have applied for both US and British passports for the children. I don't need to get British style birth certificates for the kids. I was informed that a UK passport is all I need to proof their UK citizenship.
Old Feb 5th 2007, 6:21 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by davispigeon
"I never gave up hope,even though as a teenager coming to this country,I cried myself to sleep most nights"

Yikes...sounds just like me at age 14 when I had to stay in the US with my mum rather than going home to my grandparents in the UK.

Finally, 25 years later, I have a plan for moving back to the UK.
Good luck, love.
Thanks.
I hope that you make it back.
I wish you all the best with your plans.
Old Feb 5th 2007, 6:30 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

We have applied for both US and British passports for the children. I don't need to get British style birth certificates for the kids. I was informed that a UK passport is all I need to proof their UK citizenship.
but there handy to have, if you lose your passport, later on in life, you won't have any proof of citizenship and then it becomes a major hassle...much easier to just suck it up and get the birth cert now.
Old Feb 5th 2007, 7:09 pm
Forum Regular

davispigeon has much to be proud ofdavispigeon has much to be proud ofdavispigeon has much to be proud ofdavispigeon has much to be proud ofdavispigeon has much to be proud ofdavispigeon has much to be proud ofdavispigeon has much to be proud ofdavispigeon has much to be proud ofdavispigeon has much to be proud ofdavispigeon has much to be proud ofdavispigeon has much to be proud of

argyl1: thanks.
We're waiting until my USC hubby retires (November 2010) then we're moving to England! I am terrified that I won't be able to find work. I have a PhD but I work for the government and it seems like once you've worked for the government, you are rendered unfit for work anywhere else. Especially with an advanced degree. It's kind of disheartening: I look at tons of job ads and I'm just not qualified for most of them. Maybe I'll end up as a shopgirl. Not that there's anything wrong with that.
Old Feb 5th 2007, 11:17 pm
JAJ
Retired

I can't find any articles that say you can't obtain a UK Settlement Visa after April 1.
http://www.ind.homeoffice.gov.uk/abo...tionofnewrules

Download the document linked therein. Question 45 has the confirmation you are looking for.

Regarding your children's birth certificates. Don't believe Embassy officials telling you "not to bother". They won't be there to sort out the mess if your children later in life need to replace their passports in a hurry and can't prove their citizenship.
Old Feb 6th 2007, 1:06 am
Account Closed

gardnma will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by davispigeon
argyl1: thanks.
We're waiting until my USC hubby retires (November 2010) then we're moving to England! I am terrified that I won't be able to find work. I have a PhD but I work for the government and it seems like once you've worked for the government, you are rendered unfit for work anywhere else. Especially with an advanced degree. It's kind of disheartening: I look at tons of job ads and I'm just not qualified for most of them. Maybe I'll end up as a shopgirl. Not that there's anything wrong with that.
Only if you have adopted the bad habits of Govt workers.......
I worked for Govt Contractors for 5 years (very safe ones, so basically the same environment.....or close to it)
First job out in the "real world" was a horrific shock ........ actually had to do real work and fast too...... Panic struck fast.
Once over the adjustment, its nice now as you aren't bound by the cr@p which goes along with that environment ...... then again I left Govt work because of what you said ........ it makes it hard for you to be employed otherwise ...... but you can be. Depends on field too, natch........
Old Feb 6th 2007, 2:22 pm
Forum Regular

Gardnma: it's hard NOT to turn into a slug when you work for the government. I can't tell you how many times I've been told by my superiors to SLOW DOWN.
I'm in a pretty specialized field so I'm trying to branch out in order to be more employable in the UK.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.