Registration as a British citizen - children under 18

Old Jun 25th 2020, 1:33 pm
Forum Regular

Kentse1973 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Registration as a British citizen - children under 18

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/817215/Guide_MN1-Jul19.pdf

I am a British citizen by descent and my wife is non-British. Our child was born aboard and is non-British.

We have lived in the UK for 3 years and not left UK for more than 270 days. My family members are under spouse visa.

I wonder whether my child can register as British citizen under MN1 s3(5). I am not sure whether this rule is required BOTH parents to be British citizen by descent or either one of the parent is acceptable.

Old Jun 25th 2020, 2:07 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Registration as a British citizen - children under 18

Is your child not already a British citizen ? Born to you as a British citizen by descent Other smarter folk will be here soon. I think there is no need to apply for citizenship.

Last edited by scot47; Jun 25th 2020 at 2:11 pm.
Old Jun 25th 2020, 3:05 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by scot47
Is your child not already a British citizen ? Born to you as a British citizen by descent Other smarter folk will be here soon. I think there is no need to apply for citizenship.
The OP is already British by descent. His child was born abroad, so OP cannot pass on citizenship.
Old Jun 27th 2020, 7:29 pm
Forum Regular

Lpowers is an unknown quantity at this point

I am going to be going down this route in the next year. Yes, you can register your children. You will need to first obtain a naturalization certificate, once this is received your will then be able to apply for their passports. Only one parent needs to be British (and it can be by descent) and they have to have lived in the UK with you for three years like you said. If they are approved they will then become British by Other, meaning they are now British and they can pass on their citizenship unlike if they were by descent. Hope this helps.
Old Jun 28th 2020, 1:57 am
Forum Regular

Thanks for the replies
Old Jun 28th 2020, 7:51 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

As with many, I find it difficult to understand the distinction between "UK citizen by descent" and "UK citizen otherwise than by descent". In reality "Second-class" and "first class" !
Old Jun 28th 2020, 10:42 am

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lpowers
I am going to be going down this route in the next year. Yes, you can register your children. You will need to first obtain a naturalization certificate, once this is received your will then be able to apply for their passports. Only one parent needs to be British (and it can be by descent) and they have to have lived in the UK with you for three years like you said. If they are approved they will then become British by Other, meaning they are now British and they can pass on their citizenship unlike if they were by descent. Hope this helps.
As the child is being registered they’ll be granted a certificate of registration rather than a certificate of naturalisation - it’s not possible to naturalise as a child.

Last edited by BritInParis; Jun 28th 2020 at 10:48 am.
Old Jun 28th 2020, 10:46 am

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kentse1973
https://assets.publishing.service.go..._MN1-Jul19.pdf

I am a British citizen by descent and my wife is non-British. Our child was born aboard and is non-British.

We have lived in the UK for 3 years and not left UK for more than 270 days. My family members are under spouse visa.

I wonder whether my child can register as British citizen under MN1 s3(5). I am not sure whether this rule is required BOTH parents to be British citizen by descent or either one of the parent is acceptable.
Only one parent needs to be British but the child needs to have resided in the UK with both parents for at least three years. It appears that this is the case for your family. As such you can register your children as a British citizen under S.3(5). Your wife will need to complete five years on spouse visas and then apply for ILR. Once granted she’ll be immediately eligible to naturalise as a British citizen.
Old Jun 28th 2020, 1:26 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks BP!