Regaining renounced British citizenship. Possible?

Old Jan 11th 2017, 3:19 pm
Forum Regular

gavspen is just really nicegavspen is just really nicegavspen is just really nicegavspen is just really nicegavspen is just really nicegavspen is just really nicegavspen is just really nicegavspen is just really nice
Default Regaining renounced British citizenship. Possible?

Hi all,

As a British citizen born in London I was able to pass my citizenship down to my son, born in the US. He did have a British passport for some time. He had to formally renounce his citizenship (form RN I believe) for security clearance to become an officer in the US Navy.

He is now out of the Navy and I was wondering if there is any process by which he might regain his citizenship.

Any information gratefully received. Google searches didnt turn up any definitive answers.

Thanks
Old Jan 11th 2017, 3:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

HKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Regaining renounced British citizenship. Possible?

Originally Posted by gavspen
Hi all,

As a British citizen born in London I was able to pass my citizenship down to my son, born in the US. He did have a British passport for some time. He had to formally renounce his citizenship (form RN I believe) for security clearance to become an officer in the US Navy.

He is now out of the Navy and I was wondering if there is any process by which he might regain his citizenship.

Any information gratefully received. Google searches didnt turn up any definitive answers.

Thanks
The OP's son can try, please see link below -

https://www.gov.uk/renounce-british-...sh-nationality

However, the resumption of British Citizenship is a discretion - not a right.
Old Jan 11th 2017, 4:32 pm
Forum Regular

gavspen is just really nicegavspen is just really nicegavspen is just really nicegavspen is just really nicegavspen is just really nicegavspen is just really nicegavspen is just really nicegavspen is just really nice

Originally Posted by HKG3
The OP's son can try, please see link below -

https://www.gov.uk/renounce-british-...sh-nationality

However, the resumption of British Citizenship is a discretion - not a right.
Huh, wonder why I couldnt find that. Thanks. Does anyone have practical experience as to how lenient (if that's the word) they actually are? Obviously this.....

You have a right (once only) to be registered as a British citizen if you renounced British citizenship in order to keep or acquire another citizenship.

.....doesnt apply, it was just to join the navy, so as you point out, it will be at the discretion of the Home Secretary. He meets all other requirements, of course.

Under such circumstances do they tend, or tend not, to allow reregistration? Anyone know?

Thanks again for the link.
Old Jan 11th 2017, 6:39 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

Renunciation in order to advance one's career is normally grounds for a discretionary resumption. Your son should obviously include a covering letter to this effect and supply evidence that the renunciation of his British citizenship was necessary to advance his career in the US Navy.
Old Jan 11th 2017, 9:03 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by BritInParis
Renunciation in order to advance one's career is normally grounds for a discretionary resumption. Your son should obviously include a covering letter to this effect and supply evidence that the renunciation of his British citizenship was necessary to advance his career in the US Navy.
Thank you for that, most encouraging. Do you happen to know how strict they are with this rule......

With your application you should also send:
• your copy of your Declaration of Renunciation (ie form RN1, RN2, RN3, RN or
form R6).

He's not the sentimental type. He may not have kept it.

Just took a look at the fee. £1121 Pretty steep for a non-refundable fee! When I got them their (two kids) original passports I dont remember paying anything like that. I had done some sort of filing at the consulate when they were born and then later just sent in the passport form and it was issued. Am I wrong about that?

Any clue how long it takes? I know, all these questions....

Thanks again.
Old Jan 11th 2017, 9:30 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you for that, most encouraging. Do you happen to know how strict they are with this rule......
Providing your son has a clean criminal record then it would be normal to expect the application to be approved.

With your application you should also send:
• your copy of your Declaration of Renunciation (ie form RN1, RN2, RN3, RN or
form R6).

He's not the sentimental type. He may not have kept it.
In that case you will need to hope the Home Office still has the record of his renunciation on file.

Just took a look at the fee. £1121 Pretty steep for a non-refundable fee! When I got them their (two kids) original passports I dont remember paying anything like that. I had done some sort of filing at the consulate when they were born and then later just sent in the passport form and it was issued. Am I wrong about that?
That's because your son is applying to registered as a British citizen. He had previously automatically received British citizenship at birth by virtue of his parentage.

Any clue how long it takes? I know, all these questions....

Thanks again.
I would cautiously expect a wait of six months and then you can be pleasantly surprised if it's processed in a shorter time. The time it will take to arrange his citizenship ceremony will also be a factor.
Old Jan 11th 2017, 9:43 pm
Forum Regular

Providing your son has a clean criminal record then it would be normal to expect the application to be approved.
He does.

In that case you will need to hope the Home Office still has the record of his renunciation on file.
Well, if they dont, I guess he wont even have to reapply...haha

That's because your son is applying to registered as a British citizen. He had previously automatically received British citizenship at birth by virtue of his parentage.
Wouldnt that original filing at birth have been a "registration"? Oh well, whateffer, as they say. It is what it is.

I would cautiously expect a wait of six months and then you can be pleasantly surprised if it's processed in a shorter time. The time it will take to arrange his citizenship ceremony will also be a factor.
Oh, he's one of those who has to have a ceremony? Didnt realise. There goes another 80 quid...haha.

Understood. Thank you very much for all this valuable information.
Old Jan 11th 2017, 9:47 pm
Forum Regular

Oh ok, now I understand what you're saying here. At birth he already was a citizen. He currently is not, having renounced, and that's the difference

Thanks again.
Old Jan 11th 2017, 9:50 pm

Wouldnt that original filing at birth have been a "registration"? Oh well, whateffer, as they say. It is what it is.
That would have just been a passport application, the same as if he were born in the UK. If you have a consular birth certificate for him then that would be merely registering the birth, not conferring British citizenship.

Oh, he's one of those who has to have a ceremony? Didnt realise. There goes another 80 quid...haha.

Understood. Thank you very much for all this valuable information.
The ceremony fee is included but it's the only part that is refundable should the application be refused.

Oh ok, now I understand what you're saying here. At birth he already was a citizen. He currently is not, having renounced, and that's the difference

Thanks again.
Indeed. No worries.
Old Jan 12th 2017, 3:08 pm
Forum Regular

Indeed. No worries.
Thanks again. You obviously have extensive knowledge in this department. May I ask, Do you work in the diplomatic corps?
Old Jan 12th 2017, 7:41 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks again. You obviously have extensive knowledge in this department. May I ask, Do you work in the diplomatic corps?
I can understand you being curious, but it's a bit of an unwritten rule on BE that we don't ask other members for personal information
Old Jan 13th 2017, 2:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

Shirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse
I can understand you being curious, but it's a bit of an unwritten rule on BE that we don't ask other members for personal information
^^^ This.

However, if you have a bit of a look around the forum, you should be able to see/work out that BiP is one of our expert posters, & why .