Recent change of job and applying for settlement visa

Old Jun 11th 2018, 9:53 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Recent change of job and applying for settlement visa

Originally Posted by slg33
Hello, me again! We are now in the UK ( I am on a 6 month tourist visa), my husband started working the week we landed earning £40,000/year so hopefully we will have no problems combining that with his previous salary of $45,000 from Canada. I am flying back to Canada on August 19 to start my visa process, my question is... Can I submit my online application while I am in the UK a few days before flying back? The reason is I will be flying into Vancouver which is where I will need to do my biometrics appointment and I'm hoping I can line it up with the day I land so I don't have to make another trip back to Vancouver the following week. Thanks!
Why didn't you apply for a spouse visa from Canada once your husband had a job offer in the UK? When did your husband start his job in the UK?
Old Jun 12th 2018, 9:03 am
Just Joined

slg33 is an unknown quantity at this point

Because we didn't have accommodation sorted or receive the actual contract until we landed in the UK. Instead of rushing the visa and him leaving and me staying we decided this worked best for our situation.
Old Jun 12th 2018, 10:21 am

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

Because we didn't have accommodation sorted or receive the actual contract until we landed in the UK. Instead of rushing the visa and him leaving and me staying we decided this worked best for our situation.
Except you may now need to wait six months before you can apply.
Old Jun 12th 2018, 5:22 pm
Just Joined

You said previously we wouldn't need to because he has 18 months of work in canada with only a 1.5 week break before starting his UK job which by the time we apply he would have been in for 4 months? Is this not correct? When reading the appendix example for category B we seem to be ok, unless I am more confused which is possible.

Case studies – Category B: Less than 6 months with current employer or variable income – person residing in the UK Example (a) The applicant’s partner works in the UK. She started a new job 3 months prior to the date of application and her gross annual salary is £22,000. She meets part (1) of the calculation for Category B because she is in salaried employment at the date of application and her gross annual salary at the date of application meets the financial requirement. In addition, she must have received in the 12 months prior to the application the level of income required to meet part (2) of the calculation for Category B. Before starting her new job, she worked for another company for 7 months during the last 12 months. Including her current and previous job, the total amount she has earned from employment in the last 12 months is £20,000. The financial requirement is met under Category B because the applicant’s partner is currently in a job paying at least £18,600 a year and has earned more than £18,600 from employment in the last 12 months.

Last edited by slg33; Jun 12th 2018 at 5:46 pm.
Old Jun 12th 2018, 9:36 pm

You said previously we wouldn't need to because he has 18 months of work in canada with only a 1.5 week break before starting his UK job which by the time we apply he would have been in for 4 months? Is this not correct? When reading the appendix example for category B we seem to be ok, unless I am more confused which is possible.

Case studies – Category B: Less than 6 months with current employer or variable income – person residing in the UK Example (a) The applicant’s partner works in the UK. She started a new job 3 months prior to the date of application and her gross annual salary is £22,000. She meets part (1) of the calculation for Category B because she is in salaried employment at the date of application and her gross annual salary at the date of application meets the financial requirement. In addition, she must have received in the 12 months prior to the application the level of income required to meet part (2) of the calculation for Category B. Before starting her new job, she worked for another company for 7 months during the last 12 months. Including her current and previous job, the total amount she has earned from employment in the last 12 months is £20,000. The financial requirement is met under Category B because the applicant’s partner is currently in a job paying at least £18,600 a year and has earned more than £18,600 from employment in the last 12 months.
I think you may be a little confused. You are flying back to Canada on 19 August. On which date did you both leave Canada for the UK and what date did your husband start work in the UK?
Old Jun 13th 2018, 5:26 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute

5.3. Category B: Less than 6 months with current employer or variable income – person residing in the UK

Sounds like the OP and sponsor have moved to the UK, sponsor has got job earning over 18,600 GBP AND he earned this amount in Canada for the past 12 months and can show proof of such. So above category would fit their situation. Only thing of concern is that they are not applying until August and at the point of application can they show the 12 months of 18,600 GBP of earnings.

The application has to be done in Canada.
Old Jun 13th 2018, 7:46 am
Just Joined

My Husband worked with the same company in Canada from September 1, 2016 - March 29, 2018 earning over $45,000 annually. We arrived in the UK on April 2, 2018 and he started working at his new job on April 10, 2018 which he is earning a salary of £40,000 annually. We have family coming to visit the UK which is why I am staying and then going back and submitting the application on August 20, 2018. As far as I was concerned this would be ok, but now you've made me worry...
Old Jun 13th 2018, 5:51 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute

You need to make sure that at the point of application, in the immediate 12 months prior to the application your husband has earned 18,600 GBP ; and that at point of application he is currently earning over 18,600 GBP.

So if applying in August 2018, the lookback period is to August 2017.
Old Jun 14th 2018, 11:51 pm

You can apply on 20 August but under Category B as SanDiegogirl correctly points out. You will need to provide both evidence of your husband's current employment and salary in the UK plus evidence of his gross income in both the UK and Canada since 20 August 2017. It would've been simpler and quicker to have applied from Canada under Category A once the job offer had come through but so be it.