Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > Citizenship/Passports and Spouse/Family Visas (UK)
Reload this Page >

Received spouse settlement visa - question around NHS coverage

Received spouse settlement visa - question around NHS coverage

Old Nov 14th 2014, 11:09 am
Just Joined

sigmapaul is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Received spouse settlement visa - question around NHS coverage

Hi All:

My wife (in the US) has just received her settlement visa and I wanted to let the group know the time frames.

October 10 - completed on-line application - signed and paid fee (let credit card company know you are making transaction a $1,531,00 internet transaction to another country in advance as the transaction raised red flags and two credit card companies denied the transaction. Once you sign and make biometrics appointment, you only have two hours to make the payment. That's why it's good to notify credit card company in advance).

October 14 - biometrics appointment completed. In and out in less than 20 minuets! You must print and take biometrics appointment sheet. They put a stamp on it.

October 21 - Sent package (over 150 pages with supporting documentation) to Sheffield.

October 23 - British Immigration acknowledged receipt of package via e-mail.

November 11 - received e-mail from British Immigration that visa decision made.

November 13 - received passport with visa via UPS. The visa is actually dated October 31 , just 8 days after receipt and another 11 to send out. All days are calendar days and not business days.

Prior to completing the on-line application my wife talked to a consulate official in the US and he advised against paying the additional money to expedite the visa so we didn't. He said visa application for US citizens with British citizen spouse were taking less than 30 days to process, and based on our time frame he was right.

I do have a question about NHS coverage for my wife. When she arrives in the UK with the settlement visa, is she eligible for NHS health care coverage straight away even though she's not a UK or EU citizen? When I arrived back here after more than 30 years abroad, I just needed to show my passport and proof of address and I was covered. Does my wife has to prove residency or does the visa and the fact that she's married to and lives with a British citizen all that's required?

Thanks for any help on the NHS issue and if anyone has any questions about the visa process, please let me know - happy to help.

Sorry forgot to mention that the visa states "no recourse to public funds" Does NHS coverage constitute public funds or does public funds mean housing benefits, job seekers allowance, etc.?

Last edited by sigmapaul; Nov 14th 2014 at 11:22 am. Reason: Missed something
Old Nov 14th 2014, 11:21 am
Just Joined

Default Re: Received spouse settlement visa - question around NHS coverage

Sorry forgot to mention that the visa states "no recourse to public funds" Does NHS coverage constitute public funds or does public funds mean housing benefits, job seekers allowance, etc.?
Old Nov 14th 2014, 12:25 pm
Under blue skies

WEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond repute

Hi SigmaPaul! Thanks so much for your detailed timeline and related information on applying (successfully) for the Spouse Settlement Visa. It's great to see that the Home Office are issuing them without an unreasonable wait now....

Originally Posted by sigmapaul
I do have a question about NHS coverage for my wife. When she arrives in the UK with the settlement visa, is she eligible for NHS health care coverage straight away even though she's not a UK or EU citizen? When I arrived back here after more than 30 years abroad, I just needed to show my passport and proof of address and I was covered. Does my wife has to prove residency or does the visa and the fact that she's married to and lives with a British citizen all that's required?
Yes, she is eligible for all NHS services on her settlement visa. Anything you--or any other legal resident--of the UK is/are entitled to, she is also entitled to. She will of course have to prove that she is now a bona fide resident in the area, so make sure to put her name on some utilities, lease, council tax, etc., and sign her up for bank account, local library card, etc.

Some GP surgeries are checking all of this much more stringently these days. Have her bring her passport with visa with her, and make sure to bring similar documentation if she needs a hospital visit in her early days too.

Originally Posted by sigmapaul
At this point, NHS usage is not considered "public funds", so your wife's NHS entitlement is not affected on her present settlement visa.

Whether she may have to pay an included NHS fee with her next visa (FLR) is unclear at the moment, but is possible.

NHS Fees Confirmed

Last edited by WEBlue; Nov 14th 2014 at 2:11 pm. Reason: Grammar
Old Nov 14th 2014, 2:00 pm
Just Joined

Thanks very much for your response WEBlue. Seems like it's all sorted.
Old Nov 15th 2014, 7:31 am
BE Enthusiast

Vadio has a reputation beyond reputeVadio has a reputation beyond reputeVadio has a reputation beyond reputeVadio has a reputation beyond reputeVadio has a reputation beyond reputeVadio has a reputation beyond reputeVadio has a reputation beyond reputeVadio has a reputation beyond reputeVadio has a reputation beyond reputeVadio has a reputation beyond reputeVadio has a reputation beyond repute

She is eligible for NHS as it is not a public fund. Based on posts on other forums, some surgeries have tried to say that a spouse on a settlement visa is not eligible, but this is incorrect, and you can provide the documentation if there are any issues.

Go to the PDF document here for a list of public funds:

https://www.gov.uk/government/public...ublic-funds--2

Your wife cannot claim any of the listed funds nor can any benefit you may be entitled to receive be increased. Anything you may be entitled to in your own right is unaffected.