British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Citizenship/Passports and Spouse/Family Visas (UK) (https://britishexpats.com/forum/citizenship-passports-spouse-family-visas-uk-196/)
-   -   R.O.A and Returning Resident questions! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/citizenship-passports-spouse-family-visas-uk-196/r-o-returning-resident-questions-902405/)

Jess79 Aug 24th 2017 7:39 am

R.O.A and Returning Resident questions!

Hi everyone!
This is my first ever post to any forum so I hope I do this correctly!
I'm a British citizen living in Malaysia. I was born in uk to a British mum and hold a Malaysian passport with ROA.
I married my husband (also Malaysian) in uk and he was given Indefinite Leave to Remain.
We moved to Malaysia in 2005 as he was offered a great job here and have been here ever since.
Now we plan to return to uk, am I correct to assume that my 3 Malaysian born children can apply for the ROA? And should my husband apply as a returning resident?
Sorry this is so long!
We have tried calling the premium visa and immigration number which has cost us loads but still we are non the wiser on what to do!
Thank u in advance for any advice!!

feelbritish Aug 24th 2017 1:41 pm

Re: R.O.A and Returning Resident questions!

Hi, Unfortunately you cannot apply for a Returning Resident as you have been gone for more than 2 years. You will have to go the spouse visa route.

Jess79 Aug 24th 2017 3:21 pm

Originally Posted by feelbritish (Post 12323582)
Hi, Unfortunately you cannot apply for a Returning Resident as you have been gone for more than 2 years. You will have to go the spouse visa route.

Thank u so much for yr advice..Will look for more info!
And am I correct to apply for the ROA for my children?

feelbritish Aug 24th 2017 3:35 pm

Originally Posted by Jess79 (Post 12323691)
Thank u so much for yr advice..Will look for more info!
And am I correct to apply for the ROA for my children?

I think your children may be British already if you were born in UK and your mom was British. However I am no expert and I am sure someone else will be along to help you with that.

Jess79 Aug 24th 2017 3:59 pm

Hi!! I just looked into it and it looks like he can't join me until I get a job and work for at least 6 mths.. earning a minimum of £18,600 per year? 😱

Is there any other way we would be able to enter uk together?
I don't know if this could help with our application but we will be bringing in all our savings as well as a lump sum from the sale of our home here in order to buy a house in uk.

Thank u!

HKG3 Aug 24th 2017 4:46 pm

Originally Posted by Jess79 (Post 12323713)
Hi!! I just looked into it and it looks like he can't join me until I get a job and work for at least 6 mths.. earning a minimum of £18,600 per year? 😱

I don't know if this could help with our application but we will be bringing in all our savings as well as a lump sum from the sale of our home here in order to buy a house in uk.

Thank u!

You will need £62,500 worth of cash savings in order to satisfy the spouse visa's financial requirement. You need to hold the funds for at lease six months before you apply for a spouse visa, with the exception of cash coming from a house sale.

HKG3 Aug 24th 2017 4:47 pm

If I remember correctly, the returning residence visa is for those Indefinite Leave to Remain holders who left the UK for two years or more. However, it is a difficult visa to get.

HKG3 Aug 24th 2017 4:52 pm

Originally Posted by Jess79 (Post 12323344)
Hi everyone!
This is my first ever post to any forum so I hope I do this correctly!
I'm a British citizen living in Malaysia. I was born in uk to a British mum and hold a Malaysian passport with ROA.
I married my husband (also Malaysian) in uk and he was given Indefinite Leave to Remain.
We moved to Malaysia in 2005 as he was offered a great job here and have been here ever since.
Now we plan to return to uk, am I correct to assume that my 3 Malaysian born children can apply for the ROA? And should my husband apply as a returning resident?
Sorry this is so long!
We have tried calling the premium visa and immigration number which has cost us loads but still we are non the wiser on what to do!
Thank u in advance for any advice!!

Your three Malaysian born children are British Citizen by descent if they were born on or after 1 January 1983. As British Citizens without a British passport, they are entitle to apply for a ROA certificate on their Malaysian passport.

Please note that as British Citizen by descent, they cannot automatically pass on their British Citizenship to their children (the OP's grandchildren) born overseas.

SanDiegogirl Aug 24th 2017 5:40 pm

Originally Posted by Jess79 (Post 12323713)

Thank u!

Read the following document carefully. It provides information on all the options for meeting the financial requirements - income/savings/pensions etc.

https://www.gov.uk/government/upload...ment_Final.pdf

If you have 62,500 GBP in an account from sale of home, then you might qualify. (if your children are NOT British citizens you will need more savings to qualify)

Jess79 Aug 24th 2017 6:30 pm

I'm feeling quite positive now 😊Thank you all for your replies! U guys are amazing!

indianbear Jun 14th 2018 5:18 am

Hi

I hope your travel back to the UK went well.
Just wondering if you managed to get the ROA for your children and if it was an ardous process? apologies to ask a query on an older thread.

thanks

mikelincs Jun 14th 2018 6:59 am

Originally Posted by indianbear (Post 12515681)
Hi

Just wondering if you managed to get the ROA for your children and if it was an ardous process? apologies to ask a query on an older thread.

thanks

Jess hasn't posted on the forum since August 2017, so it's very possible that, having had her question answered, she has left British Expats. starting your own thread would be better.

Jess79 Jun 14th 2018 4:39 pm

Originally Posted by indianbear (Post 12515681)
Hi

thanks

Hi there,
We have actually postponed our whole move and should be moving next year instead so I haven’t started any applications yet! I will definitely let everyone know how it all goes in the end.
Hope everything goes well for u :)

211071Rd Aug 23rd 2018 8:42 pm

Hi everyone just want some advise
I went on holiday ,someone stole my passport with my indefinate leave stamp in it now I got a new passport from my country embassy . My question is this HOW DO I GO ABOUT GETTING A NEW VISA TO GO BACK TO UK AND WHAT TYPE OF VISA SHOULD I APPLIED FOR? A VIGNETTE TRANSFER? OR A RETURNING RESIDENT APPLICATION ? HELP PLEASE

Shadowfair Aug 23rd 2018 10:03 pm

Originally Posted by HKG3 (Post 12323739)
You will need £62,500 worth of cash savings in order to satisfy the spouse visa's financial requirement. You need to hold the funds for at lease six months before you apply for a spouse visa, with the exception of cash coming from a house sale.

is 62,500 for people outside the uk and £16.5k for uk residents?