A quick question about the spouse visa

Old Oct 1st 2013, 4:51 am
Forum Regular

jrance1975 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default A quick question about the spouse visa

Hello,

I'm British and I'm bringing my American wife to England next year to live. My question is how long does her visa last once she gets it? I only ask as I'm wondering if we should apply now (we're going over in July) or wait until nearer the time. I don't want it to expire and wasn't sure if there was a time frame for her to use it.

Cheers,
Jon
Old Oct 1st 2013, 7:17 am
BE Enthusiast

larrabee is a glorious beacon of lightlarrabee is a glorious beacon of lightlarrabee is a glorious beacon of lightlarrabee is a glorious beacon of lightlarrabee is a glorious beacon of lightlarrabee is a glorious beacon of lightlarrabee is a glorious beacon of lightlarrabee is a glorious beacon of lightlarrabee is a glorious beacon of lightlarrabee is a glorious beacon of lightlarrabee is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: A quick question about the spouse visa

Originally Posted by jrance1975
Hello,

I'm British and I'm bringing my American wife to England next year to live. My question is how long does her visa last once she gets it? I only ask as I'm wondering if we should apply now (we're going over in July) or wait until nearer the time. I don't want it to expire and wasn't sure if there was a time frame for her to use it.

Cheers,
Jon
Don't apply yet if you intend to travel in July, she can only apply within 3 months of the intended date of travel.

You can apply for a visa up to 3 months before your date of travel to the UK. Applications received more than 3 months before your date of travel will be returned without a visa and without a refund of the application fee. You will then need to submit a new application and to re-enrol your biometric information at the appropriate time.
http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/co...e=UK%20English

Once the visa has been granted, it's valid for two and a half years, she must then apply for FLR to take her to the 5 year requirement for ILR.

http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/vi...cp/settlement/
Old Oct 1st 2013, 10:00 am
BE Forum Addict

roaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by larrabee
Don't apply yet if you intend to travel in July, she can only apply within 3 months of the intended date of travel.
I believe it is still possible to request for the visa start date to be deferred by up to 3 months, which would be based on the date of decision. This gives slightly more time, however it isn't guaranteed that the visa will be deferred.
Old Oct 1st 2013, 3:34 pm
Forum Regular

jrance1975 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks so much. 3 months isn't long because if takes 4 weeks to get the visa, then you only have 2 months to get organised and move! Another ridiculous rule. Thanks.
Old Oct 1st 2013, 4:00 pm
BE Enthusiast

larrabee is a glorious beacon of lightlarrabee is a glorious beacon of lightlarrabee is a glorious beacon of lightlarrabee is a glorious beacon of lightlarrabee is a glorious beacon of lightlarrabee is a glorious beacon of lightlarrabee is a glorious beacon of lightlarrabee is a glorious beacon of lightlarrabee is a glorious beacon of lightlarrabee is a glorious beacon of lightlarrabee is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by jrance1975
Thanks so much. 3 months isn't long because if takes 4 weeks to get the visa, then you only have 2 months to get organised and move! Another ridiculous rule. Thanks.
No. You can enter the UK at any time up until the expiration date of the visa.

You can arrive in the UK at any time up until the 'valid until' date, but remember that this is also the last day that you are permitted to stay in the UK.
http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/vi.../visa-holders/

You should aim to enter within 3 months of the issue date though, to avoid having to apply for an extra FLR along the way.