Quick Question about Passport Renewal

Old Feb 24th 2018, 5:49 pm
BE Enthusiast

Brigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud of
Default Quick Question about Passport Renewal

Hi everyone,
My nephew who got UK citizenship through my sister when he was younger is now twenty years old and his old passport has expired. The question is does he need to get a new adult passport or renew the one he had when he was a child (under sixteen years old).

My sister is a UK citizen by birth as am I.

Thanks in advance for the response,

Brigette
Old Feb 24th 2018, 5:56 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Quick Question about Passport Renewal

Originally Posted by Brigette
.... The question is does he need to get a new adult passport or renew the one he had when he was a child (under sixteen years old). .....
..... He's going to get a new passport either way.

I think sometimes, due to the passage of time, a "renewal" gets processed as a new application, and IIRC for a while all passports that were not machine readable created the need for a need application when they expired.

The passport web site will tell him if he has passed the point at which his child's passport can be renewed.
Old Feb 24th 2018, 6:25 pm
BE Enthusiast

Brigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud of

So I went online to gov.uk and was asked a couple of questions about where passport was issued (given three options) none of which I can find on the passport. Then it is requesting passport numbers of both parents their place of birth etc and slew of other questions. Says also I have to apply online. Is this new? Is there an option to send via post like before? In any case there is passport advice line that I can call. IF anyone else has any suggestions please feel free to give.
Thanks
Old Feb 24th 2018, 9:07 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

If he is applying from outside the UK then your nephew will need to complete the online application form. His responses will determine whether your nephew's application will be treated as a renewal or a first time application. Either way he will need to submit his expired British passport. If he's 20 then he should be doing this himself.

https://www.gov.uk/overseas-passports
Old Feb 24th 2018, 9:13 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Brigette
So I went online to gov.uk and was asked a couple of questions about where passport was issued (given three options) none of which I can find on the passport. Then it is requesting passport numbers of both parents their place of birth etc and slew of other questions. Says also I have to apply online. Is this new? Is there an option to send via post like before? In any case there is passport advice line that I can call. IF anyone else has any suggestions please feel free to give.
Thanks
Yes it's new.

You can only give information you have, so if you don't have your parent's passport numbers then you can't give them. Sometimes parents have never had a passport or not a British one, so not giving that information is not a problem.

Yes, all applications are on line, but if you're sending an old passport for renewal then you still have to send it by courier (or mail, if you prefer)

What three choices does it give for where the passport was issued, because I have just been through the web site and it didn't ask me that question?
Old Feb 24th 2018, 9:52 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

The three choices were likely to refer to the issuing authorities.

I get two choices via the online application form although it may be affected by the stated date of issue.

What is the issuing authority of your passport?
One of: UKPA / UKPS / IPS / HMPO
Other (passports usually issued outside the UK)
https://passportapplication.service.gov.uk/ips-olc/
Old Feb 25th 2018, 12:25 am

Originally Posted by BritInParis
The three choices were likely to refer to the issuing authorities.

I get two choices via the online application form although it may be affected by the stated date of issue. .....
Yeah, that's what I got. .... I assumed that every one got "other".