British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Citizenship/Passports and Spouse/Family Visas (UK) (https://britishexpats.com/forum/citizenship-passports-spouse-family-visas-uk-196/)
-   -   Questions about VFS/ACS, and Scan or Mail (https://britishexpats.com/forum/citizenship-passports-spouse-family-visas-uk-196/questions-about-vfs-acs-scan-mail-928459/)

TexasToYorkshire Oct 10th 2019 11:21 pm

Questions about VFS/ACS, and Scan or Mail

I have been working to research on this forum and elsewhere to answer my few remaining questions, and while I've had many graciously answered, and I've answered a few myself, I've also picked up some new ones. I want to ask the ones I still have.

VFS vs US Dep. HomeSec ACS:

--For Americans, is using VFS better than using a US Dep. Homeland Security ACS? That is, is it better to have VFS take Biometrics, and then mail everything for you, than going to an ACS and then mailing things yourself? I am going to pay for Priority service, either on the GOV website, or on the VFS website.

--If I went to an ACS and then mailed everything myself, is it more likely for something to go wrong with my Priority service? (even if I follow the steps of including my receipt in the package, and writing Priority Service on the exterior)

--The nearest VFS for me is 5 hours each way driving. I really don't want to go there to pick my passport up. They offer delivery direct to home when it is returned. Is there something similar if I use an ACS? Do I pick it up from the ACS, or can it be sent to my home?

Scanning/Uploading and Mailing:

--What is the best way to make sure the Home Office gets my documents?

--Has anyone scanned and uploaded themselves, on the GOV website? What is that process like, any advice?

--Or is it better to have everything scanned at VFS?

--Is it "Pick One" of Scan/Upload or Mail to VFS in NY?

TexasToYorkshire Oct 11th 2019 2:38 am

Re: Questions about VFS/ACS, and Scan or Mail

I meant to write ASC (Application Support Center), not ACS.

I have read the following VFS pages:

https://www.vfsglobal.co.uk/us/en/va...ting-documents
https://www.vfsglobal.co.uk/us/en/how-to-apply

But they haven't really clarified whether I can self upload via the GOV site (or is it on the VFS site, even if you aren't a customer), or if self-upload is only offered to VFS customers purchasing one of their packages

The wording is somewhat ambiguous, as on one page it seems suggestive that I don't have to buy a VFS package to be able to self-upload, and on another page, it says that if I choose ASC for biometrics, I will have to mail the docs to the VFS Processing Hub in NY

The VFS website also mentions the Walk-In centers, and also gives an additional address one can mail to (just saying this for reference for others, though I think my preference is to upload everything myself if possible)

TexasToYorkshire Oct 11th 2019 7:19 am

So I'm answering myself here again, and that's alright, because I hope that this post will get some great replies to put things to rest, and I think that if this really all gets answered, it could be a great resource for others looking for a bit of a guide.

Here's how I see things going:

I'm going to be getting my docs in the mail from my sponsor. I'll complete my application on "AccessUK" (UKVI site that is so awkwardly hard to find), pay the fee and IHS surcharge, book an appointment for biometrics at an American ASC (Dallas for me), write down my "GWF" number, use that number on the VFS website to pay for Priority Service, and print my priority service receipt.
I'll take my printed application, passport, and biometrics appointment confirmation go to my biometrics appointment at the ASC. I get the biometrics taken, have my confirmation stamped, and then I go home. I have 5 days (I'll do it immediately obviously) to mail my passport, priority service receipt, stamped biometrics, application, and supporting documents (including an Appendix 2 to be safe). I am going to send originals of everything (the VFS site says NO originals but that seems like it can't be right. Clarification, anyone?) Everything mailed is going to the VFS UKVI scanning hub in NY, and I'm writing PRIORITY SERVICE on the envelope in black Sharpie, and inside I'm also including a return envelope from UPS (has to be UPS).

I've figured out that one can definitely self-upload, and I'll find out if it's through AccessUK or through VFS website when I get that far I suppose. However, the question really is, should I bother with uploading at all, or should I only mail everything to the scanning hub? To me, seems wise to upload it all myself, and then also mail the supporting documents off as well, unless that is not allowed or ill-advised. And if I scan, presumably I should scan a cover sheet that says "Priority Service"? Does anyone have a link to a guide for scanning things in? Haven't found a good thread for that. Presumably I'll just scan cover sheets in between sections if there aren't specific upload forms for individual documents. Which documents will be returned to me in my return envelope. Everything that I send?

So much insufficient, conflicting, outdated info out there. It's madness!

blackscholes Oct 11th 2019 11:58 am

Originally Posted by TexasToYorkshire (Post 12746926)
So I'm answering myself here again, and that's alright, because I hope that this post will get some great replies to put things to rest, and I think that if this really all gets answered, it could be a great resource for others looking for a bit of a guide.

Here's how I see things going:

I'm going to be getting my docs in the mail from my sponsor. I'll complete my application on "AccessUK" (UKVI site that is so awkwardly hard to find), pay the fee and IHS surcharge, book an appointment for biometrics at an American ASC (Dallas for me), write down my "GWF" number, use that number on the VFS website to pay for Priority Service, and print my priority service receipt.
I'll take my printed application, passport, and biometrics appointment confirmation go to my biometrics appointment at the ASC. I get the biometrics taken, have my confirmation stamped, and then I go home. I have 5 days (I'll do it immediately obviously) to mail my passport, priority service receipt, stamped biometrics, application, and supporting documents (including an Appendix 2 to be safe). I am going to send originals of everything (the VFS site says NO originals but that seems like it can't be right. Clarification, anyone?) Everything mailed is going to the VFS UKVI scanning hub in NY, and I'm writing PRIORITY SERVICE on the envelope in black Sharpie, and inside I'm also including a return envelope from UPS (has to be UPS).

I've figured out that one can definitely self-upload, and I'll find out if it's through AccessUK or through VFS website when I get that far I suppose. However, the question really is, should I bother with uploading at all, or should I only mail everything to the scanning hub? To me, seems wise to upload it all myself, and then also mail the supporting documents off as well, unless that is not allowed or ill-advised. And if I scan, presumably I should scan a cover sheet that says "Priority Service"? Does anyone have a link to a guide for scanning things in? Haven't found a good thread for that. Presumably I'll just scan cover sheets in between sections if there aren't specific upload forms for individual documents. Which documents will be returned to me in my return envelope. Everything that I send?

So much insufficient, conflicting, outdated info out there. It's madness!

We just completed our application. Applied through Access UK. After submission of online application, we used the VFS website to self scan/upload documents without any charge. After uploading everything, we were able to book an appointment for Biometrics. Paid for Priority visa and premium appointment.

I am not sure if they accept mailing anymore. That has changed. There are basically 3 options on how to submit docs:

1. Self upload
2. Sponsor takes docs to one of the VFS centres in UK and gets them scanned there...costs 75 pounds per applicant
3. You can go yourself to the VFS centre and get them scanned when you attend your biometric appointment in home country

Hopefully, seniors will be able to guide you better.

TexasToYorkshire Oct 12th 2019 12:59 am

Great, thanks BlackScholes. What's trickier, the visa or your namesake equations?

What exactly did you pay for with VFS? Priority Visa Service, anything else? And you uploaded all your supporting docs and application? Anything else? For your priority receipt, stamped biometric receipt, and passport, that all simply went in the mail to the VFS hub in NY?

Thanks very much for taking the time to reply!

TexasToYorkshire Oct 13th 2019 11:09 pm

Originally Posted by blackscholes (Post 12747015)
We just completed our application. Applied through Access UK. After submission of online application, we used the VFS website to self scan/upload documents without any charge. After uploading everything, we were able to book an appointment for Biometrics. Paid for Priority visa and premium appointment.

I am not sure if they accept mailing anymore. That has changed. There are basically 3 options on how to submit docs:

1. Self upload
2. Sponsor takes docs to one of the VFS centres in UK and gets them scanned there...costs 75 pounds per applicant
3. You can go yourself to the VFS centre and get them scanned when you attend your biometric appointment in home country

Hopefully, seniors will be able to guide you better.

Could you possibly clarify something? I am confused, if the Stamped biometrics sheet, priority receipt, application printout, should also be included in what you upload? Or do those things only need to be mailed? I guess if you used VFS, they mailed it for you, and did you choose to go back to VFS for passport pick up or are you having it mailed back to you?

Thanks BlackScholes

sine Oct 18th 2019 9:35 am

TexasToYorkshire, you literally ask all the questions I am trying to figure out - thanks for your post! I too am trying to get a clear step by step outline of what happens and when, and how much it costs.

I'm wondering - I thought the initial application is on the gov.uk site...What is Access UK?

TexasToYorkshire Oct 19th 2019 2:49 am

Sine,

Spoken from my experience right now, here is how the process is unfolding for me:

AccessUK = the gov.uk website. I have never seen the words 'AccessUK', anywhere, but I have inferred they are one and the same. Visa4UK is obsolete, though one might still include with their supporting documents the Appendix 2 (financial evidence form) from the VAF4A.

For those applying as a PARTNER, from OUTSIDE the UK https://visas-immigration.service.gov.uk/apply-visa-type/appendixfm
Here is the first page for UK partner visa https://www.gov.uk/uk-family-visa/partner-spouse

You can start your application at any time, of course just don't submit it until you A) know that every last detail is correct, and B) have all the documents you need in hand, ready to submit

The application wants lots of info, like passport info for those you live with, and if you have any driving convictions (don't worry, they don't count that against you, and they aren't looking for regular parking and traffic tickets unless you have 3+ of them. I looked my driving record up with my state and included the one thing I saw on there)

You also have to give travel history. I recommend using your passport stamps to confirm things where you can. They'll look at your previous passport stamps (and your partner's).

Apparently towards the end of the process, you book your biometrics and can pay for priority if you want it. I can't confirm this as I haven't gotten there, but this is what I'm told. When you pay for your visa and the IHS surcharge, you get a number starting in GWF, this is your unique ID referencing your application. I think you also get a number for your IHS payment? Not sure.

I'm going to be uploading to the website. Seems painless. Apparently there was a major glitch a week or two ago that affected visas, but there's a big disclaimer on the gov.uk site acknowledging that situation. Guess they've fixed it. Sounds like you select the category for the docs, and upload them following their guidelines. Easy does it I would think, not uploading too much at one time. I'm scanning in my application, supporting documents (sponsor finances, sponsor passport, accommodation docs, relationship evidence, sponsor letter), copies of my old passport's pages and bio page, new passport bio page, payment details showing my GWF number, and priority payment receipt.

I'm opting to go to a biometrics appointment at a USCIS Application Support Center. There are 130 locations in the US, very convenient for me. Taking my printed application, my passport (that has blank pages), my biometric appointment confirmation sheet, my receipts of payment for the visa and priority, and my supporting docs. They'll check it all out, take my bio-info, and stamp the confirmation sheet. I'm going to go home, return to my application, and scan in and add to the supporting docs my stamped biometrics appointment sheet. Then I am taking all my supporting docs (some things are original and some are copies), my new passport, my priority receipt, my biometrics sheet, my application, and a sheet with my GWF number on it, as well as an envelope that can hold everything and I'm putting a return shipping label on that one, and sticking all of this in a big big envelope that I'm writing "PRIORITY SERVICE" on the outside of with a black marker. The shipping I'm having UPS do, there and back (the return label has to be UPS in fact, but you can use anything to get it there).

Then they should be doing whatever it is that they do with my documents, hopefully putting a visa in my passport, and throwing all that into my return envelope and sending it back my way.

I obviously am not speaking from experience, I'm just on the cusp of doing all this, and this is the info as I have it in my head. If anyone reading knows otherwise, PLEASE share that info. I hope that I've helped too.