Questions about British Citizenship for Mother

Old Jan 26th 2019, 12:05 pm
Just Joined

UserName101 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Questions about British Citizenship for Mother

Hi All,
Brand new hear and been scouring the internet, just desperate for some help!
Looking into my mothers right to a British passport.
Mother previously held a British passport many years ago however allowed it to expire and been expired for more than 10 years (so she's been advised she has to start from scratch again). She was born in Southern Rhodesia in 1952 to a British born father - now deceased however we do have most of the documentation. Both Father's parents were born in UK (however not much detail on them). Mother is currently living in South Africa and the consultants there have made her jump through so many hoops to try get apply for this passport i.e. they wanted a photo of my mother together with her parents under a sign which displayed the words Buluwayo in it. Now I ask, how?
Is there anyone who could please advise what I would need to assist my mother. We have most of the original documentation in respect of her deceased father - original birth certificates for her and her father, old passport for father, original marriage certificate. We do not have any documentation in respect of her paternal grandparents nor a birth certificate for her mother. Please help?
Old Jan 26th 2019, 12:19 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Questions about British Citizenship for Mother

To confirm, your mother’s father was born in the UK?
Old Jan 26th 2019, 12:21 pm
Just Joined

Yes, both parents of my mother's father were born in UK.
Old Jan 26th 2019, 12:22 pm
Just Joined

And my mother's father was born in UK and held a British passport,
Old Jan 26th 2019, 12:25 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

In that case you already have all the documentation you need. Forget about using these ‘consultants’ and just apply yourselves.

https://www.gov.uk/overseas-passports
Old Jan 26th 2019, 12:30 pm
Just Joined

So all I do is apply for a (new) passport as I would in other circumstance enclosing the documentation My mother holds?
Would you suggest that it’s done in South Africa, where my mother resides (as her parents marriage certificate is also South African) or am I able to do it from theUK on my mother’s behalf.
Thank you for your input.
Old Jan 27th 2019, 8:38 am

Originally Posted by UserName101
So all I do is apply for a (new) passport as I would in other circumstance enclosing the documentation My mother holds?
Would you suggest that it’s done in South Africa, where my mother resides (as her parents marriage certificate is also South African) or am I able to do it from theUK on my mother’s behalf.
Thank you for your input.
Yes. Your mother would need to make the application from South Africa.