Question regarding non-EU child visiting UK

Old Aug 14th 2013, 3:47 pm
BE Enthusiast

Lord PercyPercy has a reputation beyond reputeLord PercyPercy has a reputation beyond reputeLord PercyPercy has a reputation beyond reputeLord PercyPercy has a reputation beyond reputeLord PercyPercy has a reputation beyond reputeLord PercyPercy has a reputation beyond reputeLord PercyPercy has a reputation beyond reputeLord PercyPercy has a reputation beyond reputeLord PercyPercy has a reputation beyond reputeLord PercyPercy has a reputation beyond reputeLord PercyPercy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Question regarding non-EU child visiting UK

Hi,

I have a question regarding our upcoming trip back home. I am a LPR of the United States and my wife is a US citizen. Our son is almost 2 years old and I'm wondering if, when we get to the UK border patrol I can bring my son with me to the UK/EU passport line? He only has a US passport, but if I bring his birth certificate can I bring him through the EU line, or will he have to wait it out alongside his mother in the non-EU line?

Thanks! (And if this is the wrong place for this, I apologise, I couldn't for the life of me figure out where it would go.)
Old Aug 14th 2013, 4:23 pm
Under blue skies

WEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Question regarding non-EU child visiting UK

Originally Posted by Lord PercyPercy
I have a question regarding our upcoming trip back home. I am a LPR of the United States and my wife is a US citizen. Our son is almost 2 years old and I'm wondering if, when we get to the UK border patrol I can bring my son with me to the UK/EU passport line? He only has a US passport, but if I bring his birth certificate can I bring him through the EU line, or will he have to wait it out alongside his mother in the non-EU line?
Is your son not a dual citizen? If so, he actually is an EU citizen... as well as a British citizen. Even if he only has a US passport ATM, and not yet a British one, that doesn't change his citizenship(s).

Not sure what to suggest about which passport line to take, but I'm sure someone will come along soon to advise something.

Last edited by WEBlue; Aug 14th 2013 at 4:47 pm.
Old Aug 14th 2013, 4:40 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Given that he's two years old and can hardly be expected to go through on his own, you can take him with you, and I can't see the officer objecting. BUT, after once arriving in the UK at Dover, from France, in a car with my USC wife, and not expecting her to get out and walk, I drove us both through the UK line. It didn't cause a problem but I was advised that next time I should take the car and her through the non-UK immigration line. So that would be my recommendation - if your wife can't take your son with her on her own, that you all go together through the non-UK line.
Old Aug 14th 2013, 4:48 pm
nun
BE Forum Addict

nun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond repute

A non-EU child can go through the EU line with their parent. If you were traveling without your wife you could hardly expect a 2 year old to queue up in a different line from you. I'd get your child a UK passport.
Old Aug 15th 2013, 1:54 pm
BE Enthusiast

Lord PercyPercy has a reputation beyond reputeLord PercyPercy has a reputation beyond reputeLord PercyPercy has a reputation beyond reputeLord PercyPercy has a reputation beyond reputeLord PercyPercy has a reputation beyond reputeLord PercyPercy has a reputation beyond reputeLord PercyPercy has a reputation beyond reputeLord PercyPercy has a reputation beyond reputeLord PercyPercy has a reputation beyond reputeLord PercyPercy has a reputation beyond reputeLord PercyPercy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
So that would be my recommendation - if your wife can't take your son with her on her own, that you all go together through the non-UK line.
Sounds the best course of action just to make sure there's absolutely no delays.

Thanks everyone!
Old Oct 11th 2013, 12:37 am
Forum Regular

bkk_mike has much to be proud ofbkk_mike has much to be proud ofbkk_mike has much to be proud ofbkk_mike has much to be proud ofbkk_mike has much to be proud ofbkk_mike has much to be proud ofbkk_mike has much to be proud ofbkk_mike has much to be proud ofbkk_mike has much to be proud ofbkk_mike has much to be proud ofbkk_mike has much to be proud of

I know if your wife had a visa, you can all go through together on the UK/EU line. (I know because I do this with my wife who has ILR, but when she's travelling on her own she has to use the slow queue).

I believe the rule is there because a family is allowed to travel together, so worst case, they tell you off for pushing your luck. (It's definitely worth a try if the non-EU queue is enormous).