Question for JAJ if possible

Old Feb 14th 2011, 8:31 am
BE Enthusiast

Shellyj is a splendid one to beholdShellyj is a splendid one to beholdShellyj is a splendid one to beholdShellyj is a splendid one to beholdShellyj is a splendid one to beholdShellyj is a splendid one to beholdShellyj is a splendid one to beholdShellyj is a splendid one to beholdShellyj is a splendid one to beholdShellyj is a splendid one to beholdShellyj is a splendid one to behold
Default Question for JAJ if possible

Posted this here because no idea where else is appropriate. It's a question about British Citizenship on behalf of my dad.

Ok, here goes. Born 1947 in Jamaica. Moved to the UK in his teens on a British Passport. Has never left the country since and now wants to go on holiday.

Am I right in thinking he's a British Subject and can apply for a passport or is it much more complicated than that?

I'm going round in circles on the various Government websites and the so called helplines are not helplines but recorded lines to direct you to the websites where I got the phone number from lol.
Old Feb 14th 2011, 12:48 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Question for JAJ if possible

I don't usually respond to questions addressed personally, however I'll make an exception here.

Unless he has other ties to the UK (father or paternal grandfather born in the UK, for example) he probably lost his British nationality when Jamaica became independent in 1962, when he (most likely) became a Jamaican citizen.

He does at least have permanent residence, as he arrived before the Commonwealth Immigrants Act 1962 came into force, but he will need evidence of that. If his mother is UK born then he has Right of Abode.

If he is only Jamaican, he needs to become naturalised British before he can have a British passport.

He can't even think about leaving the UK for a vacation unless he gets either a British passport, or a Jamaican passport with a UK Indefinite Leave to Remain stamp. Bear in mind that most other countries require Jamaican passport holders to have a tourist visa - it's not a good passport to travel on.
Old Feb 14th 2011, 5:34 pm
BE Enthusiast

Shellyj is a splendid one to beholdShellyj is a splendid one to beholdShellyj is a splendid one to beholdShellyj is a splendid one to beholdShellyj is a splendid one to beholdShellyj is a splendid one to beholdShellyj is a splendid one to beholdShellyj is a splendid one to beholdShellyj is a splendid one to beholdShellyj is a splendid one to beholdShellyj is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Question for JAJ if possible

Thank you very much, I knew you would have the answer. I also suspected it would be a lot harder than applying for a British passport for him!

I better get on to this for him, at least getting the process started before I leave for Australia or he'll never be able to go holiday and definetly wouldnt be able to vist me!