Wikiposts

Question about moving to the USA

Old Aug 29th 2010, 9:06 am
Just Joined

jackal1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Talking Question about moving to the USA

Hello, I'm a US Citizen, and my husband is a British Citizen.

We are currently living in the United Kingdom, and I am desperate to move back home to Oregon (USA).

We are thinking about going the DCF route, but unsure if we actually qualify to do so. As I am currently living and working in the United Kingdom, and have not established residence in the USA for approx 2 years now.

I do have a family members and best friend that are willing to co-sign for us. My family member makes enough money that is required by the immigration, so that won't be a problem.

We would also have a home to live in, which is my family member's house, so we will not need to rent a apartment or home of our own.

Where do you feel that we stand, as I don't have residence nor much money, but I do have family that are willing to sponsor my husband for me and allow us to live in their home.

Any information will be helpful
Old Aug 29th 2010, 9:22 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Question about moving to the USA

Best to post in the Marriage based forum, I am sure a mod will move.

Sounds like you have ILR and have all your other bases covered.
Old Aug 29th 2010, 9:26 am

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Howdy, neighbor! I moved you over to the marriage-based visa forum (magically, from Oregon!) and you can read the link in my signature for an outline of DCF from London.

When you read it, pay close attention to the definition of 'domicile', but really, you've only been gone a couple of years, so it should not be difficult to show that the US is where you see your 'permanent' domicile; your time overseas is 'temporarily resident abroad'.

There are many DCF experiences posted here, including what others did to show their intent to move to the US (for the form I-864)... the things you've posted aren't big obsticles for immigrating.

PS: I see that you've already made several posts about the move, or your spouse has. If you are going to share an account, we appreciate if you each mark your posts so we know which one of you we're answering, it's appreciated.
Also, the job thing is sucking really hard here at the moment.

Last edited by meauxna; Aug 30th 2010 at 4:16 am. Reason: typo!
Old Aug 30th 2010, 4:14 am

avanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond repute

Another welcome from Oregon, and seconding the job market thing. Be prepared for either a very long wait or a minimum wage, part-time retail job. Walmart is always hiring (here in Eugene at least), but it took me eight months of concentrated applications to find a full time job in my preferred field.